Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Aluminium Bonnet

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 1999, 03:38 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling immaculate aluminium bonnet from pre facelift WRX. Colour is silver. With scoop + vents.

Also getting rid of lights and grille.
Old 14 November 1999, 03:06 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Question

What are you replacing an aluminium bonnet with? and why?
I hope your not breaking your scooby
Old 14 November 1999, 05:50 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Bought a new steel bonnet to convert to new style front end. Thought I could cut my costs by selling the old stuff.

Definitely not breaking.
Old 14 November 1999, 11:01 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Adam, where did you get facelift parts from?
and how much did they cost you? As i have also been thinking of doing the same thing.
Cheers....JAMES
Old 15 November 1999, 09:47 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

James M

I have left the numbers at home but when I have them I will let you know, or alternatively do a search underbonnet and username Bobn3, I think, (you may have seen his name elsewhere on this the bbs).

In a post I sent to him I gave the number of the guy who sold me the bonnet and lights.
I havent bought the scoop and vents yet, they may have to be new, but the same bloke is getting back to me, with a chance at second hand ones.

I will post the info asap.

Adam
Old 15 November 1999, 11:13 AM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

Hi Adam

I looked into changing my old 95MY front end to the new-look front end but I was told that I would need to replace bonnet/scoop/vents/front grill/lights BUT also that the intercooler on the newer front cars has been moved so the bonnet will not fit (or rather the hole for the intercooler will not fit) to overcome this I was told that the intercooler would need to be moved - Very expensive indeed.

Let me know if this is true or not as its the only thing that put me off doing it...

Cheers

Daddy.
Old 15 November 1999, 02:34 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Smile

How much are you thinking of selling the bonnet for, as I am looking for one to fit on my lowly 1.8GL, and do not want to buy and fit the scoops myself (seems to be hard to make a good job of it)
Old 15 November 1999, 02:52 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Tony,

I was hoping for about £350 for bonnet with scoops and vents. I know this may sound expensive but it is aluminium is complete and is much lighter than standard steel.

Bigdaddy,

Yes I know about intercooler. The parts alone can be sourced not rediculously expensively sonce I have now accumulated quite a few contacts.
Moving the intercooleris not really an option but is also not necessary. It angled wheeas the new one isnt. This only creates problemsin that the duct underneath the scoop does not mate completely with the intercooler. I know of people not even fitting the duct at all and saying they have noticed no difference at all. Some say they fit the new style duct and it mates up with enough of the intercooler for it not to matter.
I cannot see how not cooling the intercooler enough would actually be harming the car except for decreasing power but my knowledge is v limited. Surely this would mean it is safe to try it, and revert if it doesnt work.

This can be done by removing the current old style vent from underneath the current bonnet.

Eventually I am hoping this will not matter as I intend to fabricate a duct that mates the new style bonnet with the old style intercooler position.