Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

22B for sale, modified, reliable

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 1999, 11:52 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Call me on 07798 651441 for full spec. Well over £ 65000 spent altogether. Totally Unique

Old 03 December 1999, 07:05 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy

Sounds like Anders friend's car (Teddy?) that AutoSportif prepped ?

J.
Old 04 December 1999, 12:06 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

If it's reasonably new, and heavily modded, how does anyone know it's reliable?

Stef.
Old 04 December 1999, 02:08 PM
bigmalc
Scooby Regular

Wink

'kin how much have spent?!

Old 06 December 1999, 12:10 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Its as reliable as any modified car can be. It has done a lot of development miles including a strict reliability test schedule.

Yes it is the Autosportif car, and it did have a well-publicised problem which occurred during phase 1 of testing. These problems were rectified, the fault located and the testing schedule started again.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkin (edited 20-12-1999).]
Old 07 December 1999, 01:26 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

As reliable as any modified car?

Is that as reliable as a superchiped (bleedvalve and boost limit override) car or a properly remapped car with improved breathing and cooling systems?

As reliable as the Blitz Supra at low boost or the kid down the roads bleedvalved renault 5 gt turbo running 30psi?

Moray
(Bugger, I left my asbestos suit at the dry cleaners! )
Old 07 December 1999, 06:37 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

All modified cars has be possibility of more problems, because aftermarket tuners do not have the *Massive* resources of the manufacturer. I consider all ECU jiggery pokery to be dangerous!

A lot of care has been put into making the car driveable and reliable, and am confident, then provided it is treated considerately (not full boost from cold etc.) then it will behave perfectly.

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 1999, 11:49 PM
DAZ
Scooby Regular

Cool

why spend all that money on it when your only gonna get half back.

my offers £32000 because i see problems a head

cheers

daz
Old 08 December 1999, 08:15 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Brief was to build the ultimate 22B. With the specification, this claim has some justification. However the owner was not prepared for the long development times - unlike a Skyline where big increases are comparatively quick to achieve, there was no precedent for what had been done to this 22B, so everything was done from first principles. (edited for speling mistaiks)

[This message has been edited by Pumpkin (edited 08-12-1999).]
Old 08 December 1999, 09:58 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

HI Pumpkin...

So that is the story ?

I heard it was bought/owned by an individual, who took it to Autosportif for tuning.. he has no end of problems with it/them...blowing the engine... not running right, etc.... I believed they bought the car off him... and Omicron bought the car off Autosportif (or trying to sell it for them) ?

I just like to clarify these matters...

Cheers,

J.

ps - I realise its one awesome car... no expense spared..and its unique.. but doesnt "unique" mean its feckin expensive to repair if anything goes wrong ? Any warranty ?
Old 08 December 1999, 10:30 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

The car was bought new via Omicron, taken to someone who wanted to supercharge it, sanity kicked in and Autosportif prepped it (having developement problem already known), fixed it, tested it, etc.,

Meanwhile owner was so fed up with car in Garage for 8 months, he bought something else. He found it a bit unsuitable for central London.

Omicron are storing the car, and are selling on the owners behalf. A 3rd party warranty can be supplied with the car I guess.

Autosportif have no involvement with car at present.

Old 08 December 1999, 11:02 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

(Hint...)

If I were in the market for a "Unique", heavily modified", "reliable" 22B I would be interested in seeing a description of what's been done and, obviously, some dyno charts showing the results would go down well.

If I read that lot might even persuade me to pick up the phone and call the seller...

Moray
Old 08 December 1999, 11:54 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Here goes - specification of car, as requested. Outright aim was driveability, rather than peak power (500bhp+)

Engine: capacity enlarged to 2.5 litres, requiring new crank, new block, new conrods and Cosworth Engineering forged pistons. Turbo changed for larger one, and air to air intercooler replaced with water cooled system which is more efficient. Don't have a power curve to hand, but car has peak power of 370bhp at 5500rpm. Torque curve is apparantly extremely very impressive. An induction kit has been fitted to let the thing breath, and a revised exhaust system has been fitted also. The equal length headers have been fitted for optimal tune.

The MoTeC engine management system has been fitted to the car. The Motec system is a competition based system, and is fitted to many World Championship winning cars, including successes all over the world including Rally Raid, WRC, Touring Cars and hill climbs and victory at Le Mans. Motec (www.moteceurope.co.uk) are based at Banbury, near Prodrive and Autosportif. Motecs engineers were involved in the extraction of the data from the existing ECU and mapping onto the Motec unit. The digital dashboard (as Williams GP car) was also fitted, this has datalogging facilities, and the system can be expanded to provide launch control and, I understand, traction control.

Brakes: standard brakes retained at rear, although competition pad material. Front calipers replaced by Ferrari F40 Brembos, and front discs replaced with the discs taken from the worlds fastest production car - the McLaren F1. Needless to say, the brakes are extremely impressive, especially good at speed.

Suspension: standard 22B can be criticised for being too harsh, so an adjustable system has been fitted similar to the Leda system. Original system was not confidence inspiring, but revised system feels a lot better.

Wheels: 18" x 9" wheels have been fitted to the car, with 245x40 Bridgestone tyres

I understand the gearbox final drive has been changed to the same ratio as the type UK.

Twin headlamp conversion has been fitted, with hi-capacity bulbs. This, the wheels and the exhaust tail pipe are the only exterior clues to the modifications.

The seats have been retrimmed in finest Scottish leather, echoing style of original, with black and blue colours. Four hides were used altogether, including trimming of the front seats, the rear seats, plus rear side panels (in blue/black), and upper half of door panels, same style. Central cubby lid was also trimmed. Alcantara pads were sewn to the seats to prevent sliding out on hard corners. Design was to be very discreet. STi logos were embroidered onto seats in burgundy embroidery thread. Momo steering wheel and gear lever also fitted, plus aluminium pedal assembly (not tacky clip on extensions) Steering wheel has button controls for digital dashboard. Removeable competition harnesses can be attached if necessary, although standard 3 point belts remain installed.

Hi-fi - has JVC head unit capable of taking both a CD and minidisk in same slot. RSD EON tuner. Remote control. MB Quart speakers all round, plus Rockford Fosgate amplifier on boot, plus removable bass box in boot.

Alarms - has automatic monitored tracker system, plus Toad Ai600 thatcham cat. 1 alarm system, plus Secur-fix anti-smash'n'grab window film. Locking wheel nuts, steering wheel lock. Alarm has optional proximity sensors, plus total closure module (remote windows and central locking).

Car is expected to appear at Bruntingthorpe on 17th December.

Old 09 December 1999, 12:11 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Smile

The current owner in this car, and David Yu in his 600bhp+ Skyline went to a Goodwood Track Day. On the way down, he found that he had to cover the brake when overtaking cars (whilst following the Skyline), because his car has very little turbo lag, compared with the Skyline which takes a while to get going.

I guess in a drag race with no thought for the mechanicals, then the Skyline would win, but in real world terms, this Subaru is a more than a match, especially when the road has the odd corner in it ;-)

Old 09 December 1999, 09:09 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Question

Sounds fantastic, so at what price does the bidding start?
Old 09 December 1999, 11:37 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Question

What do you think is a fair price?
Old 10 December 1999, 11:33 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Forgot to mention the car is fully documented, with copy of Evo magazine issue 1, in which this car is featured (before mods), with rare 22B sales brochure. Evo want to do a feature on the modified car with its new owner.

Old 13 December 1999, 06:24 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Engine - not actually a 2.5 litre conversion - that was talked about, but the 22B block or the 2.5 litre Legacy block was judged to be too weak - yes it would work, but it would not be strong.

Instead, they used a rally specification 2 litre block, and stroked to 2.2 litres. This, coupled with the water cooled charge cooler, means that the engine is very strong.

My mistake, I admit it. I'm right on everything else though! :-)
Old 14 December 1999, 08:39 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Too much FUD here methinks.....
Especially now David "Mr reliability" Yu's name has been mentioned.....

Ro
Old 14 December 1999, 09:09 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Owner and David Yu knew each other when they both had Skylines. Apart from their acquaintance, there is no other relationship between David Yu and this Subaru - apart from jealousy!

PS. Are you Dan Quayle? In your profile you cannot spell Potato correctly. And I guess you mean Couch rather than Coach, unless you slob about on buses a lot.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkin (edited 14-12-1999).]
Old 19 December 1999, 11:38 PM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Theodore is under instruction (from me!) not to accept less than 40K.

I hope he sells his BMW instead as that is easier to sell as it is not such a special project!

His car is amazing, I have not seen it for a year and I look forward to putting the photos on the 22B.COM website.
Old 20 December 1999, 12:22 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Pumpkin

Are you Dans worse spelling older brother..?

consideratly ?
considerately

onwers ?
owners

burgandy ?
burgundy

featurered ?
featured

etc etc

I have an English degree as my excuse - whats yours .....

Hope it sells.

Ro.
Old 20 December 1999, 08:44 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Anders, Was good to meet you at Bruntingthorpe last Friday. The car ran wonderfully well on the way home. Car should be appearing in "Revs" magazine, mag due out 1st Feb.

Old 20 December 1999, 09:26 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham with 620BHP & 530lb/ft @1.5bar boost on road fuel.
Hi Andrew and everyone.

The car is running the stock turbo and so would need to be changed to run 370bhp.

Having seen the car on Friday, it is absolutely awesome and would require very little to make it perfect. I would question the wisdom of stroking the car as the rods will be very short and therefore the angles involved may prove stressful. The standard rods are short as it is.

If I won the lottery, I would put APs on, Ohlins suspension, larger turbo and wait for it to blow up. Not that it would necessarily of course but you are relying on someone else's engine building.

A top car and well worth £40k in my opinion. As someone said on Friday about modified cars,"You live by the sword, you die by the sword."

Kind regards

Ben
Old 20 December 1999, 11:36 AM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Autosportif say they have done something to the turbo, but it is possible that the standard casing was retained.

370bhp was seen on an Engine dyno - not rolling road. I am awaiting the proper figures and will post them here when I have them.

The McLaren / Brembo brakes are pretty awesome in themselves, but that's your preference. Suspension is now much better than a standard 22B.

It is a top car, and the MoTeC dash is v. sexy!

Old 20 December 1999, 01:22 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

I have no higher education degrees in any language, so I am allowed to appear stupid ;-)

Some of the mishtakes have crept in because of my computer sometimes using English (British) conventions or English (American) spelling. One is a simple case of fingers going too quickly!

I hope the car sells too. Wish I could afford it myself, but sadly cannot. Everyone who has seen the car in the flesh has been very complimentary about it.
Old 20 December 1999, 03:11 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've sat in it/seen it in the flesh.

it's 'presence' is captivating.

Come on Santa, don't let me down!

Mike.
Old 20 December 1999, 05:36 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Hoorah!

People like it!

Old 20 December 1999, 09:16 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Booo Hooo.

The people that like it can't afford it.