Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Is anyone having any luck selling?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2000, 09:07 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just like the title says - I placed an ad in Autotrader and Top Marques and not a single call for two weeks now!

I know the market is down at the moment - but no one is ringing to even make an offer.

Anyone know how to sell a car?
Old 18 August 2000, 09:03 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Hey James, still no go eh?

Maybe this will help:

***SHAMELESS PLUG FOR JAMES's CAR***

I can vouch for the fact that James's car is really bloody fast. I should now I followed him, or tried to follow him on a club outing.

Somebody will be getting a good one!

Imran

P.S Sold mine a couple of weeks ago, through my very friendly dealer. They were absolutely great!
Old 19 August 2000, 03:31 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

How come you sold your car then? What do you have now?
Old 19 August 2000, 05:38 PM
RallyTrader.com
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

I don't normally do plugs for our site... but you sound as though you could do with a helping hand selling your scoob.
You can place your ad for free on our site at:
Old 19 August 2000, 08:12 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Hi James,

Car had to go, as I'm now in Canada!
Got offerred an ex-pat assignment for a year in Ottawa, and thought it too good to refuse.

Problem is, couldn't bring the Scooby here (too many reasons to list), and didn't have anywhere to store it in the UK. Plus I didn't fancy watching the depreciation over a year, without the benefit of driving the thing. So it had to go. Shame really, because it really was mint.

Irony is, that the guy who bought my Scoob had a Chrysler Voyager which he got rid of to buy the Scoob. And my company leases me a car here in Ottawa, guess what it is? Yup a Chrysler Voyager! Or bath-tub on marshmellow wheels if you prefer.

Boy I miss the car!

Left the car with my dealer, who sold it within a couple of weeks. But like I said, it was absolutely mint.

Good luck mate, maybe you should try your dealer.
Old 21 August 2000, 01:13 PM
Phil Hammond
Scooby Regular

Same problem.

I have been advertising my car for over three weeks now and still have not recieved a single response.
Originally advertised in the Sunday Times. Now on a number of websites autotrader, what car and cardata. As other people have mentioned do not put your car with Cardata. They make promises they can't deliver - I learnt too late.
Car about to go in Autocar as they are running a feature this week, apparently.

It is concerning how may other turbo's are for sale!!
Old 21 August 2000, 02:24 PM
Rider
Scooby Regular

****. I'm thinking of selling my MY99 UK turbo, but this doesn't fill me with confidence!
I'm selling because it's costing too much damn money to put petrol in every week. If I could afford that, then the car would stay. Oh, as long as I could still find the money to buy a Kawasaki ZX6-R, of course…
Old 21 August 2000, 03:01 PM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Unless you have to sell your turbo then the obvious trick is to keep it. The pictures of the new Impreza are depressing so our cars might be worth more in the long term
Old 21 August 2000, 03:28 PM
MartinSteer
Scooby Newbie

Well some people must be selling cos I just bought one! Surely the chance of selling depends on price.

I paid £10,500 for nice condition R-Reg with air-con - think I got a good price, seeing some of the adverts.

Martin.
Old 21 August 2000, 04:18 PM
Gibo
Scooby Regular

Sold my 95 WRX 5DR last month after six weeks
£10995
£9999
£8500
sold at £8200 !!!

not good

but now I own a luverly TT Roadster

Cheers
Gibo

[This message has been edited by Gibo (edited 21 August 2000).]
Old 22 August 2000, 09:31 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Having the same problem, now on my 3rd Autotrader advert, had 2 people up to see it but both had other cars to sell (one a 99 Scoob which dealer had offered 13500 on). 94 Sti 5 Door, in at 8500 would take 8000. Living in Germany now and have new car, Scooby currently insured by wife and being kept by my mate. So worst case is I get 3rd party insurance and run it here during winter to save my new car. Would rather have the cash though.....Offered it to my brother for 5K but he couldn't afford the insurance !!!
Cammy
Old 22 August 2000, 04:31 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Red face

What annoys me is the fact that the dealers are lowering their trade-in prices because of all these 'market forces', but the prices on the forecourt are rock solid. I know they are there to make money but buying a 99T-plate for 13k and then adding 6k to the sticker price seems off to me... I just got offered 30% less than the Parkers book <B>trade</B> price for a Mazda/Scooby trade-in.

Greedy monsters are having their cake and eating it too Looks as though the cars are taking a dive price-wise but everyone's scared of buying privately. Massive premium to buy from a garage however as they're not passing on their reduced costs.

Joolz

PS. Anyone want a luvverly MX-3.... Here's hoping!
Old 22 August 2000, 10:25 PM
Don Palmer
Scooby Regular

Angry

Mercedes just dropped their price 20%
This is not going to help!
Sorry but the game is up on big prices and big discounts. I hate it as much as anyone
Old 23 August 2000, 08:49 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

I sold my Puma in June and bought the Scooby, towards the end of last year around September I was getting offered silly money for the Puma as there was still a waiting list, come June of this year it took me over 2 months to sell and at a great loss, there was still a waiting list then. The car market is on it's knees at the moment and 2nd hand prices are the worst. Cars like the Scooby should recover because of the limited supply but things like Fords and other main stream manufacturers are in trouble as the market is flooded and you can not sell them.

Darren.
Old 23 August 2000, 10:12 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Not sure I agree on rarity of Scooby anymore, certainly not as many as Fords/Vauxhalls etc but just look at Autotrader, Pages of Scoobs. 2 years ago when I first started looking your were lucky to get 5 or6 Scoobs in each edition. Unfortunately they've become too popular. The only hope is a similar situation as happened to so called Hot Hatches back in 90's when Insurance went thru the roof so residuals fell on XR2/3's etc(remember them !!). Then insurance plummetted again and Hot Hatches firmed and again rose above standard prices. All in all its a dark picture all round. Anyone want a 94 Sti (echo echo echo echo), anyone out there ?

CK
Old 23 August 2000, 02:50 PM
Phil Hammond
Scooby Regular

Angry

Totally agree.
Scooby is no longer a rare car. I was shocked by the number of 2nd hand cars for sale. Secondly, when I bought there was a massive waiting list for one. Now, as I understand it, you can walk straight out the front door with one.
The P1 has not helped resale values either. 1,000 P1's (or however many were sold) = almost 1,000 2nd hand Scooby's on to the market. Perhaps Subaru should have restricted the P1's to non-scooby owners?!!? Was that a hint of jealously! Looks like I'd better cancel that order for an EVO VI.

BTW RB5 still for sale if your interested.
Phil
Old 23 August 2000, 05:38 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Well yes, most of you guys may be right, scoobies are'nt selling but neither is anything else!
Fuel prices are high and insurance may take another rise
This is all part and parcel of owning such a vehicle.
LETS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE ! Just get out there and enjoy driving such a machine, because I like possibly many more of you, remember the time they sold my pride and joy and lived to regret it (driving around in a STANDARD family saloon).
SKINT BUT LOVING IT.....JACKO