Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Pig in a poke.....

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2004, 04:40 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pig in a poke.....

Back in April this year my friend was on the lookout for a Subaru Impreza and had been frantically checking this forum for a decent car. He replied to a thread started by CustomScoobyIOM ( http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=309209 ) and after some discussion arranged to go down south to buy the car.

I had been desperate for an Impreza also, but always thought of them being expensive and out of my price range. After following his quest for one I realised that they were affordable and I could have one if I wanted. He showed me this add "new fully rebuilt engine", "In mint condition" the add read. I had always wanted an Impreza. Just like everyone on this site, I loved the sound of the engine. To be honest the car wasn't that good looking and I wasn't too bothered about the performance, I just wanted to have the sound of that flat 4 burble under my right foot. Before he travelled down to get it I told him I wanted this car. I had seen the pictures and it did look good and with a new engine etc you couldn't go wrong. The only thing is I didn't have the full £6500 for the car, but I was prepared to save !

We travelled the good few hundred miles down from Scotland to meet for the car and it looked just as good as it did in the pictures. "Don't worry about that misfire, that's just the coilpacks which need replaced I will send them up to you" we were told. I never thought anything of this, I mean I have always owned Vauxhalls I wasn't used to high performance cars. My friend didn't seem too bothered either and this was his 4th Impreza so I thought everything was fine. The V5 or the MOT were not available either, but we were promised these would be forwarded later.

There were another few things wrong with the car, but really just superficial. The rev counter didn't work and the back bumper trim was cracked. Apart from this it was in very good condition for an 11 year old car, just like the add said.

We went for something to eat and then started the long drive up the road. As the car had only done a few hundred miles on the new engine it was going to be a slow drive up the road, running in the engine. We got literally 20 miles on the journey before BANG the CEL light came on and the car cut out.

Stuck on a motorway, circa 400 miles away, on a pretty dark night and in the rain was not the best start to ownership. We called the guy we got the car from to see if he could look at the car, but he had had a drink and couldn't come out. We called a local recovery guy who to use his words was a "fukcing genius." The crank sensor had come off and caused the car to cut out. He had fixed it and we were on our way........

Pretty much the next day the car was booked into Fiskens in Forfar for its first oil change. They checked the crank sensor which was fine but couldn't complete wiring the oil pressure gauge "due to the condition of the wiring". The car left still running with the misfire and my mates pocket £170 lighter.

The 18" alloys the car was advertised with were pretty much gubbed, so our good friend Jon swapped them for a set of Supperlegerras. Unfortunately the two front tyres were well past legal limit so a trip to National was arranged at a cost of £240 for 2 tyres and the tracking.

The coil packs arrived as promised, still no sign of the V5 or MOT. My mate was growing a little worried about driving the car as he was beginning to doubt if it was MOT'd. Another trip up to Fiskens and the coil packs were fitted another couple of things were done and the bill was another £140.

The car still had the misfire and Subaru didn't seem too interested as the select monitor was showing ok and they were not too keen on the wiring problem for checking the sensors. Roy's auto repairs in Arbroath came highly recommended so a trip along there with the car seen the car our of action for 2 weeks, a new timing belt fitted, the wiring sorted, the car running the same and a bill of £230.

At this point I had finally saved up the £6500 for the car and although slightly concerned about the problems so far I was desperate for that car. I wasn't too bothered how much it was going to cost to get fixed, I just wanted that flat 4 !

Running out of garages to have a look at the car, AWD in Perth were the next port of call. "Swanny will try and sell you anything" I was told, "don't fall for it" Can't be that bad I thought? The car was booked in on the 13/5/04. What's the worst that could happen I thought ? A full days labour. After all, all I wanted done was the knocklink and lambdalink wired in. The Oil Pressure gauge Fiskens couldn't do fixed, and the misfire sorted, which I thought was just a tuning procedure. Headed back at the end of the day to get the car and you couldn't believe the shock I got. A fat bill for £750. I was expecting more like £300 max for Labour. "This is stage 1, we will get the car back in for stage 2" I was told. "The misfire is still there but its an ECU problem, we have seen it before. A new ECU will fix it". I left with another new timing belt and 4 new coilpacks (High maintenance car this I was beginning to think those parts were fitted new less than a month ago and needed replaced again !) Also on the menu was a new 02 sensor, iridium plugs, a couple of other things and a £200 labour charge. Thankfully I had just sold my 2.0L Nova for £1500 so this covered the bill. So much for the mods I had planned and "Stage 2" bugger that.

The out come from the trip to AWD (apart from the extortionate bill) was that the car had an advanced idle of 37 degrees instead of 16. I didn't really know what this meant but I guess this was the reason the car was idling at 1800rpm.

The middle of June and the V5 or the MOT still hadn't turned up. The tax was up for renewal and I was eventually told that the MOT was done by Scoobysport and the original was lost. A trip to Kwik-Fit seen the car MOT'd for a year and including the repairs and years road tax the car now stood me another £465

The car still wasn't running properly but to cheer me up I decided to spend some money on a few mods. Clear indicators, Samco hoses all round, Blitz induction kit plus a fair few others seen me £1086 lighter. But the car looked a bit better even if I ignored the 1800rpm idle.

The radiator went so another £240 went on that to replace it. I also ordered a second hand front window as mine was chipped. Rob at MRO sorted me out with a splitter, grille and light trims. The window and the MRO bits set me back around £400.

By this time I was really sick of the car. If the car couldn't tell the ECU what to do properly then it was time I ordered a LINK ECU so that the LINK could tell the car what it wanted to do. £750 to get this in the country, fitted with a base map the car was now idling at 900rpm and guess what ? The misfire was gone ! Success I thought...

Meanwhile I couldn't resist Harvey's group buy on the FMIC after all I was desperate for that 'rally chatter' ! £570 seen delivery of this and £85 for a new walbro fuel pump from flat4online ? - bargain.

I got the FMIC in time for the map, but the pump wasn't here yet. The car was mapped to peak at 16psi and running a lot better. I was nearly happy and for once, I didn't mind handing over the £200 for the map.

I seen a bargain TD05 on eBay and bought this up 'just in case'

This brings me nearly up-to-date and the reason for this post..... A week or so after the map and I am stopped at the garage getting some Optimax. Steam is coming out of the engine and I see water dripping under the car. I slowly drive the car round the corner to my local garage and leave it with them. Expecting the worst - a fractured block. I get a call "A water pipe hadn't been put on properly that's all it was" Not one of my Samco hoses may I add one which was fitted when the "New engine" went in.

I get the car back feeling happy, at last something going right for me ! Drove home for my tea, taking it easy as its rush hour traffic. I have to nip out a message after tea, so get in the car, drive round the corner...something strange is happening....no boost ?!?

My first instinct says "Limp home mode" but I have been informed the LINK does not have this. I checked for loose boost pipes, but the only one loose is the boost solenoid to intake pipe one. This has been off before and not made much difference to the car.

So what I am heading towards is....Does anyone want the car as it stands ? At a guess I recon its the TD05 which is broken, which I have a spare but have no technical knowledge to fit and don't really have any garage I trust to go to to get it done. The car has cost me around £5500 in bits and repairs plus £6500 for it. That's £12k on a 93 wrx in 5 months....I must be out of my mind.

I am not going to let this car go for silly money although I am open to serious offers. I have wanted a Subaru for as long as I can remember but this dream has been well and truly shattered. I need rid of this car before I spend any more money on it. The full specifications are below and if you are interested can you please pm. I am not going to split the parts at the moment and this car would be a bargain for someone who has some technical knowledge and could fix it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post :-)

P.S. If David at API Engines is reading this and recons he can fix it for very little money, then I may be interested. Its probably the only place left I would trust. Pity its not just 'down the road'

1993 'K' Subaru Impreza WRX Import

Been fitted with new engine fully rebuilt. Has STI Pistons and rods, Closed Deck Block, WRX Heads Ported and Polished.

Blade Silver
STI5 Spoiler
Colour Coded Skirts
STI3 555 Seats Interior
Blue Facia Speedo
New Coilpacks
Just been Rebuilt Engine
TD05 Turbo
TFL Custom Titanium Full Decat
17" OZ Supperleggeras Alloys
Subaru 4 Pot Calipers with new discs and pads
Kenwood Head Unit (CD Player)
Blitz Turbo Timer
HKS SQ Dump Valve
Link ECU less than 2 months old
Hybrid FMIC less than a month old
Lambdalink
Knocklink
Blitz Induction Kit
Spec R Alloy Batter Cover
Spec R Alloy Fuse Box Cover
MRO Splitter (to be fitted)
MRO Grille (to be fitted)
MRO Light Trims (to be fitted)
Clear indicators
Origin Blue i Camera Detector
Nardi Steering Wheel and Gear Stick
Walbro Fuel Pump (to be fitted)
Spare TDO5
Boost/Oil Pres/Voltage gauges
Custom Boot Install with sub box in spare wheel well and amp rack all moulded in
Full Samco Sport Hoses (Water/Ancil/Turbo)
Oil change and new £70 HKS plugs fitted about 400 miles ago

The Car is Taxed and MOT'd Until June Next Year

Pictures below....

Old 01 October 2004, 05:21 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

I take it that this car is K*** BVU?
Old 01 October 2004, 05:29 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard Askew
I take it that this car is K*** BVU?
why what do you know about it ?

Pm if need be ?

ta
Old 01 October 2004, 05:34 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

I know an awful lot about it - if it is that car - the rear lights/wheels/dash lights etc tell me it is though
Old 01 October 2004, 05:34 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Ouch......Sorry to hear about your bad luck mate.

One for experience me thinks. Get it checked over. If it is the TD05 and you have a spare its only another five hours labour isn't it?

Good luck. Your due some.
Old 01 October 2004, 05:35 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Does it have a carbon fibre STi badge on the lower right hand side of the boot lid?
Old 01 October 2004, 05:44 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

PM's answered
Old 01 October 2004, 10:50 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

have you advertised on SIDC yet.............
Old 01 October 2004, 11:00 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by julian N/W wrx my93
have you advertised on SIDC yet.............
I have signed up but awaiting my account to be activated.

I will probably put a post on there when my account is sorted out

ta
Old 02 October 2004, 12:07 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Painful story

They aren't all like that I can assure you - im on my 5th now and no probs touch wood. If it makes you feel better, you'd need a very keen eye to have picked up most of those probs at first glance. I would have walked away when the V5 wasn't available though.

It may have been worth a trip to somewhere like BRD or similar and they would have seen you right from the start.

Also, if its any help, I would strongly advise you to take all the bits off and sell them and put the car back to standard. They are all good mods and will sell like hot cakes! You'll recover much more of your loss.

MB
Old 02 October 2004, 12:09 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Just read the post - "mint condition" definately worth a slap!

MB
Old 02 October 2004, 03:28 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicky: Really sorry to read this. Can I help you?
Old 02 October 2004, 09:18 AM
In the ring of fire
Scooby Regular

http://www.dirtydisks.com/acatalog/car7.jpg

Are those legs foc ???

Sorry to hear about your misfortune mate, i hope you get it all sorted
Old 02 October 2004, 10:11 AM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by In the ring of fire
http://www.dirtydisks.com/acatalog/car7.jpg

Are those legs foc ???

Sorry to hear about your misfortune mate, i hope you get it all sorted

they aint mine

they are the previous guys, note the different alloys

;-)
Old 02 October 2004, 10:13 AM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Nicky: Really sorry to read this. Can I help you?
Thanks for the offer Harvey, I really appreciate it but unfortunately you are a little too far away.

as a note if anyone is thinking of buying from Harvey in the group buys he organises, I say what you waiting for ?

this guy will definetly bend over backwards to help you out as much as he can.
Old 02 October 2004, 10:16 AM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Also, if its any help, I would strongly advise you to take all the bits off and sell them and put the car back to standard. They are all good mods and will sell like hot cakes! You'll recover much more of your loss.

MB
Unfortunately I can't put the car back to standard as it doesn't run properly with the standard ecu in it.

it has a really bad misfire, which I think has something to do with the 1800rpm idle. Due to the Link using less sensors to work, I think this is the reason the car was running better.

I know the bits will sell like hot cakes, but I don't want left with an undrivable car :-(

thanks though
Old 02 October 2004, 11:59 AM
Trem
Scooby Regular

Wow, what an awful story. I know the feeling though, I had an Intergrale and it was one thing after the other with it, totally wears you out.

Why don't you try the trade with it, if you take it to a garage that sells Jap imports they shouldn't have a problem buying your car that has an issue with it.

Of course if you do that I would get the wheels sold and some standard ones put back on, along with other stuff you could swap for standard bits(up to the point of not making it run ****e again).

I feel like a vulture here but I would be interested in the wheels and you could have my standards to put on your car.

Whatever you decide best of luck, it truly is an awful feeling.

Like Mark said, don't be put off. I am now on my second Impreza and I think they are the most reliable cars along with Saabs.

Good luck chum, don't let it beat you.
Old 02 October 2004, 12:03 PM
Trem
Scooby Regular

By the way, have you spoke to Pavlo or Dave Wallis regarding the misfire? May be worth putting a link to this thread in the technical help forum. Those guys are special when it comes to helping people out.
Old 02 October 2004, 04:35 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to have 2 goes at reading the 'war and peace' saga above. What a tale of woe! did you ever get the V5 and so-on??

I'm even farther away from you than Harvey, so I don't think it's appropriate to get involved. We could sort the car out for you, of course, but there are MANY people out there nearer to you that can do the same, Harvey being my choice.

Let him looksee, can't do any harm, and from what I can read it's more or less going Ok now just a few niggles left over from what sounds a very sub-standard engine fit job.

After your persistence, with perhaps not the best subaru in the world, I would be reluctant to let someone else get the benefit of my hard earned, when I think a bit of attention to detail will get you going properly.

If we work on your or anybody's car and can't fix a problem, we're too embarrassed to charge labour. You'll just get charged for the parts, if any, used. We'll contribute the labour free and maybe get you next time. Any number of S'netters have seen this first hand and have mentioned it before. We have time for our customers and not everything is driven by the urge to charge. AND don't forget that we'll have a small markup in the parts that you pay for, it isn't a free service just a subsidised one.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
Old 02 October 2004, 05:01 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
did you ever get the V5 and so-on??
Hi David

yes I did eventually get the V5 although I had to pay the £30 to the DVLA for a copy. The car was previously owned by John Dance aka DISCO although as I said it was bought from Jon AKA CustomscoobyIOM.

The MOT never appeared so I had to get the car MOT'd myself.

I didn't post earlier but I was also waiting on other stuff from CustomscoobyIOM which never turned up. Namely a new rev counter which was supposedly ordered from a breakers. The email confirming this was dated at the start of July. I am still waiting.

It kind of makes you think when you buy a car from someone with such a 'respected status' on here as to why they would sell someone a car with the initial problems.

I am sure Harvey would be happy to have a look at the car but he also is a bit away from myself. I don't know if I really should drive the car with the condition it is in. There honestly needs to be more people/mechanics in the world like yourself and Harvey who are honest and helpful, instead of ready to take your money. To use AWD as an example, after the amount of people I have spoken to who have left feeling ripped off, I am surprised trading standards haven't been involved.

Anyway else still reading this...the for sale offer still stands..
Old 02 October 2004, 11:10 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

up
Old 03 October 2004, 11:50 AM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VAL113R
up
up again
Old 03 October 2004, 07:00 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

up again
up
Old 04 October 2004, 07:55 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

up
up
Old 08 October 2004, 08:23 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

PM wouldn't send so sent you an email.

As I said to Paul, I would sort this as needed and replace any parts found to be faulty as needed.

This offer still stands.

Contact numbers are in an email to sales@diskdepot.co.uk

A cheque was forwarded to Paul for the replacing the front tyres. It has been cashed.

Regards,
Jon
Old 08 October 2004, 08:28 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

As I said to Paul, I would sort this as needed and replace any parts found to be faulty as needed.
By this if the engine DOES need replacing I will replace it. As with wiring looms, sensors and anything else it may require.

Jon
Old 08 October 2004, 11:31 AM
Doink
Scooby Regular

VAL113R YHPM