Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Type R, Blown Engine - £6500 Bargain!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2005, 09:32 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R, Blown Engine - £6500 Bargain!!!

Ok guys.

I did a post on here a couple of weeks ago regarding my Type R. Some of you may remember that I took my 98 V4 Type R (great condition and loads of mods) to a garage for a full service. Upon collecting the car 3 days later and driving it off their forecourt I discovered the engine had blown and the garage are denying any knowledge and any liability. In fact they are being utter ****s. The legal story will be told at some point on one of SN's other forum pages.

The reason for me taking the car in for the service (cam belt, air con re-gas etc.) was because I was planning to sell anyway (as I'm moving abroad this summer). I was advertising the car before Christmas briefly (and hence before the service) for £10,500: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&highlight=mr2

My advert 2 weeks ago attracted loads (and I mean loads) of PM's and enquiries. However, at that time I was inviting offers for the car in it's current state and (unwisely) hadn't advertised an asking price. I received 4 fairly interested enquiries with provisional offers of around £6500 which is an absolute bargain as even allowing for a full engine rebuild you'd have a very rare and very fast Scoob with a newly built and warranted engine for £10k!!! However, of the 4, one is no longer interested, one seems to have disappeared and two are still thinking about coming down to see the car.

Therefore, the car will be towed to my address this week (near Tunbridge Wells) and I want it sold asap as looking at it every day without being able to drive it will be gutting. I also need the cash to buy a cheap run around to last me until I move to Spain.

I'm afraid I don't want any PX, won't take any offers and the car will be sold as seen and with a MOT. I will however want to keep the private plate. First one with £6500 cash can take the car...though you'll have to be emotionally strong enough to see a grown man cry...Trust me guys, this car is a bargain and is really beautiful - see the original ad link above for spec and photos.

Serious enquiries only please - inbox filled up in 4 hours last ad...

Cheers,

Russ

P.S Clutch is ok - clutch fluid was found to be contaminated.
Old 21 February 2005, 11:46 AM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

tis cheep
2k would get you a proper engine with forged steel rods etc to take this safely over 350bhp
if its broke you may aswell improve it

good luck with the sale some one will snap your hand off
Old 21 February 2005, 12:41 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Darbo - must admit, if I was staying in blighty I'd take that route myself and build a monster engine on a 2.5 block... God, I'm going to get all nostalgic again...

Russ
Old 21 February 2005, 04:46 PM
Jimmy Dell
Scooby Regular

Top...........
Old 21 February 2005, 08:47 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Matt (JD).

Come on guys, this is a major bargain - we're talking about Ford Fiesta money here for a very rare, extremely fast car in otherwise great nick. Engine rebuild would give you great piece of mind as even if I sold it without engine damage for say £10k (approx what I was previously asking), it could still have gone bang at some point so at least the price fairly reflects the situation.

Thanks to all those who have PM'd replies - it's first come first served though, I'm not holding an auction. All PM's replied to (I think...)

Cheers,

Russ

Last edited by RussBoy; 21 February 2005 at 08:49 PM. Reason: it's been a long day and I had loads of typoc
Old 22 February 2005, 10:41 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

BTTT

Thanks for the PM's but I must reiterate - NO OFFERS thank you. £6500 is a top deal.

R
Old 22 February 2005, 01:34 PM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi
suprised to see its not sold yet
when you say the engines blown how bad is it?
surely cant cost that much to repair or has it scrapped the engine?

a replacement engine would only cost £1k
and £200 to fit it

that makes it a very cheap motor
still got my GF's tommi makinen for sale i think sellings abit slow at the moment but it should pick up soon
but when you only want £6.5k i would have thought it would sell within a week

bttt for ya

Trending Topics

Old 22 February 2005, 02:34 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Bump
Old 22 February 2005, 04:31 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. To be honest, I can't believe this hasn't gone either - I've had loads of PM's but no one actually coming up with the cash. The engine by the way still runs - even sounds ok on tickover but sounds like a bag of spanners on acceleration.

Darbo - i sent your link to a customer of mine who was after a Version 8. He has come back and said he loves your TM! (probably stills wants the VIII but you never know...)

Mark A - I've sent you a PM.

Come on everyone - you're going to be gutted in the summer when you've missed this opportunity - you will not find a better Type R for cheaper!!!

Russ
Old 23 February 2005, 07:54 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Bump
Old 23 February 2005, 01:55 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Old 23 February 2005, 05:08 PM
Jimmy Dell
Scooby Regular

Cool

Old 23 February 2005, 07:17 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Right i am going to shout this." WAKE UP EVERY ONE THIS IS A STUNNING CAR,I MEAN SERIOUSLY STUNNING I CANNOT BELEIVE AT 6.5K ITS NOT SOLD.
I only met Russ for the 1st time tonight.Very nice guy who is very pissed off to say the least.
Who ever is lucky enough to buy this car,is getting an incredible bargain.

Good luck Russ,was good to meet you.

Martyn
Old 23 February 2005, 10:39 PM
bigshout
Scooby Regular

somebody is selling a type R STI Rev 6 engine complete with turbo, intercooler, etc everything for £2K. If your mechanically minded then this could be quite an easy fix and a complete car for £8.5K
Old 23 February 2005, 10:40 PM
bigshout
Scooby Regular

Sorry I forgot to say it's in the parts for sale section.
Old 24 February 2005, 09:44 AM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

theres also a version 3 sti engine for £800
job done for 7.5k or £7.6k with new cambelt, plugs fitted
very cheap car for a type R
Old 24 February 2005, 01:19 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Darbo, MONEY, bigshout and Jimmy Dell - thanks very much for all your help with this - i'll miss you guys when I go to Spain.

Waggy Doo - great to meet a local enthusiast and thanks too for your kind words and efforts too, much appreciated.

Car is now back on my drive (i got a recovery company to flatbed it home), and I am VERY keen to sell in the next few days. As many have pointed out, there are engines floating about in these classifieds all the time so you could have a bargain of a life time if you are prepared to source the car and engine separately.

I still can't beleive this hasn't sold, especially when cars with very high mileage are selling for a lot more and these could in theory go bang at any time anyway!

Cheers anyway everyone for all your help and sympathy - not been a great month for me but having the support from you guys has at least renewed by faith in the human race

Russ
Old 25 February 2005, 10:54 PM
markward
Scooby Regular

Default yhm

as above
Old 25 February 2005, 11:16 PM
s83osl
Scooby Regular

hi sorry to hear your bad news been watching this post had same trouble myself and could not sell my type r

ended up fixing it mysellf to do properly and sort the lot cost £4500 in parts labour was free, mate of mine spent £8500 at scooby clinic fixing his type r and 3 P1 in at same time with simmilar bill. so although £6500 is cheap its not cheap enough , i rekon £4000 is more the mark.

the engines advertised are not guaranteed to work and are they right for cars spec + engine numbers will all be different which will devalue car.

the people telling you this is cheap for car shoulkd give you £7000 for it put a smile on your face and say addious amigo.
Old 26 February 2005, 01:24 AM
highlander
Scooby Regular

Do you still have the original headlights, rear clusters and wheels?
Old 26 February 2005, 09:07 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander
Originally Posted by highlander
No, sorry. It never came with the original wheels anyway but all the replaced bits were sold to Scoobynetters (mainly Jimmy Dell who now drives around in a cloned version of my Type R! )

s83osl - I've had quotes for a full rebuild, including parts and labour and with a warranty from £2500 - £3600 - the most expensive being Xtreme but for that they replaced virtually everything internally! Therefore, £6500 + £3600 (worse case) see's a blinding car with rebuilt/new engine for just £10k - there's people asking that money on here for run of the mill STI's etc. Also, IF (I'm not going to) I broke the car - that too would give me over £5-6k assuming I sold all the bits and had the inclination to do so....

Russ
Old 26 February 2005, 10:54 AM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

""the engines advertised are not guaranteed to work and are they right for cars spec + engine numbers will all be different which will devalue car."" quote from s83osl

I disagree
this car is what i would class as old most cars of this age have had some history,if you bought this car 6 months ago you would have paid the £10k and enjoyed it untill the engine went,then had the engine repaired,
it sounds like big ends knocking if so its repairable and will last £2k would get this engine rebuilt with forged pistons &rods heavy duty headgaskets reground crank and it would be right for years.
or the cheap option of buying a unknown quantity in a second hand engine this is basically what you get EVERY time you buy a car,so aslong as you pick your engine from a reliable source then you have no problems,engines from accident damaged cars are probley the safest as the engine was more than likely spot on untill the accident!

the reason it is cheap is the fact that you cannot bring type R imprezas in as there is no model report to esva them so if you want one you have to wait untill they are 10 years old-> roll on 2007
Old 03 March 2005, 10:22 PM
George Sayers
Scooby Regular

Default Type R

Russ,

You have PM.

Regards,

George