Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

My Dog is For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2006, 09:26 AM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Dog is For Sale

I purchased a Weimaraner puppy for my family under the conditions that they looked after and walked him on a regular basis. This has fallen through and been left upto me. I work 12 hours a day and find it difficult to look after myself, family and walk the dog care for him.
I dont think this is fair and feel the dog is also missing out.

His name is 'Buddy' he is a 4 month old mouse grey Weimaraner. The Tale and Jew (spelling?) have been done. He is pure pedigree and cost me in excess of £700 from a reputable breader. He has all the paperwork you would expect and has had all his injections. He also has some belongings which he is attached to including 2 beds. Serious people only please.
Looking for £350 - £400

please PM me if you think you can take him on
Old 17 October 2006, 10:31 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

You ought to contact the breeder to see if he can be re-homed properly. A car BBS isn't the place for dog selling.

Potential owners should be vetted for suitability of ownership not ability to pay and because it seems a good idea.
Old 17 October 2006, 10:40 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I was going to say you should post a pic but after I read Houghton's post I think he made a very good point.

All the best with Buddy. It must be a hard thing for you to do.
Old 17 October 2006, 10:41 AM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Houghton
You ought to contact the breeder to see if he can be re-homed properly. A car BBS isn't the place for dog selling.

Potential owners should be vetted for suitability of ownership not ability to pay and because it seems a good idea.
Have to agree with this, the breeder we got our Rotties from said that if ever we wanted to rehome them then we should contact her first.
Old 17 October 2006, 10:45 AM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

I appreciate what you are saying and as the board reads Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised). Which is things for sale other than cars, mobile phones, sofa's Televisions. Also I dont think the breader is any better judge of character to an animal owner than i am tbo. people to be vetted ?, should I ask them to bring a bank statement a certificate of earnings ? and a personal reference from the local church Vicar.

As you mention I have contacted the breeder and they are prepared to help me look, but a week later , nothing!

Thanks all for posting, I like the dog and dont want to get rid of, but its left to me and I work 12 hours a day. Which means the dog doesnt get the attention he needs.

Last edited by Bateman; 17 October 2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 17 October 2006, 10:53 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you should show this post to your family to try and motivate them into looking after the dog more, so that you can keep him.
Old 17 October 2006, 11:06 AM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

There are usually breed clubs specifically for rehoming, might be worth a google to find one rather than just selling to anyone?

Weinmaraners can be quite difficult for non experienced owners so I would want to be careful who I gave/sold it to, especially as it will be disrupted by having several homes. People who want one shouldn't always have one - they become very big, strong dogs and can be temperamental.

Best of luck

Richard
Old 17 October 2006, 11:07 AM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
I think you should show this post to your family to try and motivate them into looking after the dog more, so that you can keep him.

i think you are all missing the point here. This is an advert for someone to take my dog and give him more attention and more fun than he is getting now. Its not a decission taken lightly, it has been thought about people didnt do what they agreed and its not fair on the dog. This is not an overnight decission and this isnt something I do every day. This is a thread for someone to re-home my dog. I could give him to a rescue place, but they will do the same as me. I would like to meet the person who is taking my dog personaly.
Old 17 October 2006, 11:23 AM
teddykiller1
Scooby Regular

dude i feel for ya,

i once had to give a dog away for the same reasons, broke my heart!!!
Old 17 October 2006, 11:27 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bateman
I appreciate what you are saying and as the board reads Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised). Which is things for sale other than cars, mobile phones, sofa's Televisions. Also I dont think the breader is any better judge of character to an animal owner than i am tbo. people to be vetted ?, should I ask them to bring a bank statement a certificate of earnings ? and a personal reference from the local church Vicar.

As you mention I have contacted the breeder and they are prepared to help me look, but a week later , nothing!

Thanks all for posting, I like the dog and dont want to get rid of, but its left to me and I work 12 hours a day. Which means the dog doesnt get the attention he needs.
I wouldn't categorise a 4 month old puppy in 'General Items' along with mobile phones, sofas, TVs etc. It's a living creature that has no say in where it ends up or, more importantly, who with. A character reference from a vicar would certainly carry more weight than a healthy bank statement.

I had to go through the mill to get my first dog from his breeder. Hours on the phone, people with his dogs coming to the house with their dogs to gauge our reaction, then a 300 mile trip to the breeder for a 2 hour 'interview' before even seeing the pup. I had to sign a contract to say that, if for whatever reason, we couldn't keep the dog, he was to be returned to them for re-homing. We left with the assurance that if there were any problem or concern, we could phone day or night.

It's a real shame that after only 2 months, you've given up. You're going through the worst part with the cr@pping and peeing, eating like crazy as he's growing rapidly, sleeping one minute and hyperactive the next. A few more months and you'll have the best friend and companion you'll ever have.

If you insist on getting rid of him, try and find someone who knows the breed. Maybe someone who's lost their dog to old age or illness. Talk to them face to face and if they start to well up when talking of their old dog, it's a good bet they'll be right for him. You owe him that much.

Sorry for the lecture but he ain't an old sofa
Old 17 October 2006, 11:29 AM
Trem
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't categorise a 4 month old puppy in 'General Items' along with mobile phones, sofas, TVs etc. It's a living creature that has no say in where it ends up or, more importantly, who with. A character reference from a vicar would certainly carry more weight than a healthy bank statement.

I had to go through the mill to get my first dog from his breeder. Hours on the phone, people with his dogs coming to the house with their dogs to gauge our reaction, then a 300 mile trip to the breeder for a 2 hour 'interview' before even seeing the pup. I had to sign a contract to say that, if for whatever reason, we couldn't keep the dog, he was to be returned to them for re-homing. We left with the assurance that if there were any problem or concern, we could phone day or night.

It's a real shame that after only 2 months, you've given up. You're going through the worst part with the cr@pping and peeing, eating like crazy as he's growing rapidly, sleeping one minute and hyperactive the next. A few more months and you'll have the best friend and companion you'll ever have.

If you insist on getting rid of him, try and find someone who knows the breed. Maybe someone who's lost their dog to old age or illness. Talk to them face to face and if they start to well up when talking of their old dog, it's a good bet they'll be right for him. You owe him that much.

Best SN post ever.
Old 17 October 2006, 11:38 AM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Not being funny but what do you not understand about my original post.

So you are saying I should keep the dog even though he may not be happy ?

How about you come down and walk him and play with him then ! then I might consider it
Old 17 October 2006, 11:39 AM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trem
Best SN post ever.

maybe you should get out more
Old 17 October 2006, 11:51 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Bateman - you have PM.
Old 17 October 2006, 11:56 AM
RJDS
Scooby Regular

With bateman's puppy !!!!!
Go on will somebody plse buy the puppy before we all get reported to the RSPCA
Old 17 October 2006, 11:57 AM
Trem
Scooby Regular

maybe you should get out more
Maybe you should think more before buying animals.
Old 17 October 2006, 12:10 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

i dont think there is anything wrong with trying to sell it on here mate, thats what the board is for!!!!!

I do agree that buying a pet is a big decision but the guy spoke about it with his family before buying it and they just havnt kept up there word! hence why he wants to sell to someone who can look after it properly! i think everyone posting should get off the guys back and read the rules about posting replys to peoples for sale thread!!!!

theres no way he should give the dog up for rehoming and get no money when he can sell it! as for vetting potential buyers people can read a book and tell you what you want to hear but you still dont know them!!!

anyway, good luck with the sale mate and stick some pics up to help!
Old 17 October 2006, 12:19 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Not being funny but what do you not understand about my original post.
My original comment was that a car BBS is not the place to dispose of unwanted dogs.

So you are saying I should keep the dog even though he may not be happy ?
How does he display happiness? He now doesn't have a tail to wag. It don't take an Einstein to keep a puppy occupied, lots of toys, empty coke bottles are ideal, chews, ball, etc.

How about you come down and walk him and play with him then ! then I might consider it
You don't walk 4 month old large breed pups. You risk damaging growth plates and bones. Open the back door and put him in the garden to explore and play with some toys. He'll exercise himself and sleep when he's had enough.

I'm not saying you should keep him, you've obviously thought long and hard. Just make sure he goes to the right home with someone who will love and care for him. BUT make sure it's not local or you'll see him in a year or so and wish you hadn't.
Old 17 October 2006, 12:26 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Bateman

Houghton is completely right regarding 'happiness' and 'walking' didn't mention any of this in the PM as I figured you had already made up your mind and the decision was to rehome.

My dobe pup does go for a walk during the day but an absolute maximum of 20 mins! And 16 of these minutes is off road so as not to pound his growth plates walking on concrete.

Also mate, I wouldn't post pix of him. It might cause an impulse purchase rather than from someone who knows they wan't a pup. If they are seriously interested you will know that.

PS Our Ozzy loves lucosade bottles....something about the plastic I think...or perhaps its when he punctures the bottle and can then go that extra mile!

Bought a nice range of pup toys at great expense....and what does he choose???
Old 17 October 2006, 12:28 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

My original comment was that a car BBS is not the place to dispose of unwanted dogs.

How does he display happiness? He now doesn't have a tail to wag. It don't take an Einstein to keep a puppy occupied, lots of toys, empty coke bottles are ideal, chews, ball, etc.

You don't walk 4 month old large breed pups. You risk damaging growth plates and bones. Open the back door and put him in the garden to explore and play with some toys. He'll exercise himself and sleep when he's had enough.

I'm not saying you should keep him, you've obviously thought long and hard. Just make sure he goes to the right home with someone who will love and care for him. BUT make sure it's not local or you'll see him in a year or so and wish you hadn't.

I have had danes and understand about the walking bit, the hip displacement , the OCD that big breeds get. My dog isnt a dane, he is a gun dog and does need exercise. Just chuck him out back, to do what ? sit and howl to come in because itwet or to cold ?

a short walk is what they need and human interaction.

And as mentioined we researched the breed , evryone wanted to do it we waited 6 months and all still wanted the dog. They even took friends dogs out.

Mate I aint stupid, this isnt easy to do which I hope you understand.

B9GLY - Thanks, I am glad someone can see my side.

Last edited by Bateman; 17 October 2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 17 October 2006, 12:33 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrettC
Bateman

Houghton is completely right regarding 'happiness' and 'walking' didn't mention any of this in the PM as I figured you had already made up your mind and the decision was to rehome.

My dobe pup does go for a walk during the day but an absolute maximum of 20 mins! And 16 of these minutes is off road so as not to pound his growth plates walking on concrete.

Also mate, I wouldn't post pix of him. It might cause an impulse purchase rather than from someone who knows they wan't a pup. If they are seriously interested you will know that.

PS Our Ozzy loves lucosade bottles....something about the plastic I think...or perhaps its when he punctures the bottle and can then go that extra mile!

Bought a nice range of pup toys at great expense....and what does he choose???

I will PM you my number
Old 17 October 2006, 12:42 PM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

**** me the guys bein genuine enough to say he wants the dog to be brought up better , and people jumpin on him within minutes of posts sayin this isnt the place to put a dog , well **** me i gather this just is not the only place he has put it , what should he do , leave it in the kitchen all day long ,**** it leave it in the back garden let it walk its self , cos come on its young it will earn how to walk its self , pisses me off when people just post the ****ee that comes after it, like one of the posts above , when he was lookin for a dog it took hours on the phone blah blah , who gives a toss about the dog you looked at , the interviews u took , for a dog !!!! every dog ive been to buy 3 mastiffs , irish staff and a rotti all from the best breeders , within minutes have said im suitable ! sort ur appearance out
Old 17 October 2006, 01:05 PM
DAVE26
Scooby Regular

well said swish

just let the man advertise his dog
we dont jump on your threads about selling some samco hoses or dump valves or even wheels

its a for sale section let him sell
dont bust up his thread

dave
Old 17 October 2006, 01:15 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Bateman, good luck witht he attempt at selling the dog, it is a decision that must have been quite hard. Gun dogs do need a good run, our labrador enjoys alot of company so I do feel for you.

I am shocked that there are so many critical people on here who all seem to post negative comments, come on guys it's a hard enough choice to try and sell the dog let alone people preach what he should be doing, maybe if people are not intersted in buying it they should just keep quiet if they have not got anything constructive to say?
Old 17 October 2006, 01:32 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

FFS, wouldn't you prefer him to be honest and try to sell it on here rather than tie it up to some railings and abandon it
Old 17 October 2006, 03:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Scooby Regular

Bateman, been reading the thread and understand how you feel, if it was a labrador I would give it serious consideration as I've not long lost one. As far as posting on scoobynet I've seen dogs for sale on other forums and if I was to buy a dog from a forum, it doesn't make me a bad potential owner, does it???

All the best, mate, I can apprciate it ain't easy
Old 17 October 2006, 03:53 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Bateman.

Best of luck mate. You have made a tough decision for both your family and the dog and I hope the re-homing goes smoothly.
Old 17 October 2006, 05:06 PM
siborg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
.I am shocked that there are so many critical people on here who all seem to post negative comments, come on guys it's a hard enough choice to try and sell the dog let alone people preach what he should be doing, maybe if people are not intersted in buying it they should just keep quiet if they have not got anything constructive to say?
i agree mate thats why i only come on here when i want to buy or sell something

and btw good luck with finding a new owner for your dog mate
Old 17 October 2006, 05:12 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

good luck mate at least you have been honest and i hope you find a genuine owner for him.
Old 17 October 2006, 05:56 PM
cheesey_555
Scooby Regular

you have Pm

Quick Reply: My Dog is For Sale