Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

1996 Impreza WRX STI Type RA Ver 2. 6 speed.

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2010, 11:29 AM
Funkierthanfunky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Impreza WRX STI Type RA Ver 2. 6 speed.

Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type RA Ver2. This is the lightest (1170kg) most extreme classic Impreza they made, with light weight aluminium panels, no sound deadening, roof vent, stiffer lower adjustable suspension, upper front carbon strut brace, aluminium rear upper and front lower strut braces, close ratio gearbox, driver controlled centre diff and plated limited slip rear diff, roof vent, better seat, fifth injector, TD05 turbo and solid lifters in improved cylinder heads.

If you are thinking about buying one then there are a few things to bear in mind, in Japan they run on 100 Octane fuel and so you need to add octane booster and the gearing is really low, really, really low.

So to get round the octane booster you need to remap it but, classic impreza's cannot be 'remapped' so you need to change the ECU. The low ratios are great for track work but the gearbox is not capable of taking the easy to come by power these engines can produce when you get the new mapable ECU in place, also the standard intecooler is the size of a playing card so this also needs replacing, which then in turn means bigger injectors as the standard ones are nearly on their limit with the 280 factory bhp. Then if you end up driving it anywhere you will get fed up with the ridicuosly low gearing and weak box so will need a six speed box at between £2-£3k then you will need to replace the single piston sliding calipers with some decent brakes to contain your new power.

All this work has already been done on this car, and more.

It has a 6 speed gearbox with JDM ratios which mean gears 1-5 are the same as the original box but 6th is the same as a UK Impreza's 5th so the gearing isn't too low, it also retains the plated rear diff and has the handy improvement of being able to withstand upto 600bhp!! ( allegedly )This is driven by an API uprated clutch and flywheel.

It has a SIMTEC ECU, larger yellow injectors, front mounted intercooler, remote oil cooler mounted in the front bumper and has a brand new 3000 miles or so 2.5l engine from API engines with forged pistons rolling road set up at Scooby Clinic with 326bhp and 380 lbft torque.

It also has the Subaru 4 Piston calipers on the front with EBC yellows front and rear and goodridge braided brake hoses all round.

It will also come with the air conditioning pump and all pipe work, condensor and hoses which was working great before being removed for weight loss reasons.

It will also come with a brand new pair of Godspeed grooved discs and a spare brand new set of EBC yellows for the front.

The body work is in good condition for the age of the car with the exception of small dent in the front wing ( wings are bolt on ).

It has 4 wheels with Toyo R888's on them ( worn ) and 4 wheels with Toyo road tyres on.

It has 11 months MOT, 5 months tax.

The reason for sale is it was parked up fine one day after a drive and when it I went to start it a knocking sound came from the engine and the oil pressure warning light is on. I haven't investigated this problem yet as I cannot face taking the car to bits again!

After having a new API engine with forged pistons and everything that goes with it done 18 months ago I cannot go through another engine rebuild so it is time for the car to go.

It is fast, very fast and not just in a straight line, it handles fantastically and the brakes never fade, it will lap the Nurburgring in 8min 28sec bridge to gantry which is not to be sniffed at. But it has to go.

This will suit someone who has a good impreza engine in a bad car/chassis or someone who is capable of sorting the engine. I don't know what is wrong with the engine as I haven't investigated.

If it doesn't sell it will be broken as the gearbox alone will sell for over £2000 inc prop and linkage.

Feel free to come and view the car, you won't be dissappointed. It is in Beverley, East Yorkshire. E-mail me on longbob73@hotmail.com to arrange to view or if you have any more questions.

Am looking to sell the car whole for around £3700 ono which I don't think is too unreasonable considering the parts on the car. But welcome interest on the parts as it may come to breaking it in the end.

There are lots of pictures in the 'Cars for sale' section see link below.

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...ed-2-5ltr.html