ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Moving to Dublin... Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2014, 04:58 PM
Helix1996
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Dublin... Need Advice

Hello everyone, I am moving to Dublin recently to go to college, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Ireland has a sort of 'hidden' car scene. By that I mean the car scene exists, but you have to dig deeper than most places to find it. Moving on, I really like Scoobies and might buy one when I come to Ireland. With that in mind, I went to various websites and looked at many examples, my favorite Impreza is probably the '07 model, and prices in Ireland don't seem too steep. If you know any links to good websites/cars please do share them. Also, since the Impreza is one of my options, I WANT the WRC wing seen here: http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...1/DSCF0131.jpg

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/245...RC_spoiler.jpg

Those just transform the look of the car. I think a CF wing would be too expensive, so a fiberglass one would be fine, then I might CF dip it or something. Do you know where I can find these wings in Ireland? If at all?
Maybe you feel I'm a bit excited about moving to Ireland, and that's because I am. Oh I almost forgot, please do tell me how I can get into rallying and hill-climb racing. Where do I get my license? and what are the events?
Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Helix1996; 01 May 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01 May 2014, 05:03 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

You're moving to Dublin to go to college? Doesn't that make you a student and therefore poor? No money for Subarus or rallying?

I'm also intrigued by the "hidden" Irish car scene Rallying is pretty big over there from what I can gather.
Old 01 May 2014, 05:08 PM
Helix1996
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Graz
You're moving to Dublin to go to college? Doesn't that make you a student and therefore poor? No money for Subarus or rallying?

I'm also intrigued by the "hidden" Irish car scene Rallying is pretty big over there from what I can gather.
Hey hahaha thanks for the input, I haven't asked for anything from my parents for a while now and have been saving. Besides, going to Ireland to study medicine is a big deal for my parents and I. Therefore, I am not as poor as you think as long as I keep my grades up, if you know what I mean

So any suggestions? I'm glad to hear rallying is big there, it's my favorite type of Motorsport. Tell me more please. I know the relative price ranges so I know what I'm getting myself into.
Old 01 May 2014, 05:09 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

I would say the car scene is very well hidden (in Northern Ireland anyway). I haven't seen anyone in convoys or "cruising" in years. Long gone are the days when it would take you over an hour to drive around the seaside town of Bangor on a Sunday evening, with all car parks full of modified cars.

Those days are long gone, if anyone can tell me where the scene went or is hiding please let me know! Good luck taxing / MOT / insuring anything in Ireland though, I hear it is mega expensive, correct me if I am wrong.

Edit - rallying is big here, do a quick google. Lots of hill climbs too. There are great road races for motorbikes if you are into that too, on a closed road of course.

Last edited by GH80; 01 May 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01 May 2014, 05:14 PM
Helix1996
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GH80
I would say the car scene is very well hidden (in Northern Ireland anyway). I haven't seen anyone in convoys or "cruising" in years. Long gone are the days when it would take you over an hour to drive around the seaside town of Bangor on a Sunday evening, with all car parks full of modified cars.

Those days are long gone, if anyone can tell me where the scene went or is hiding please let me know! Good luck taxing / MOT / insuring anything in Ireland though, I hear it is mega expensive, correct me if I am wrong.

Edit - rallying is big here, do a quick google. Lots of hill climbs too. There are great road races for motorbikes if you are into that too, on a closed road of course.
Thanks for the reply. I would love some more guidance on how to get started. I've actually looked at some of those and it made me excited to see that rallying and hill-climbing has prominent presence there. But that's about all I know I'm afraid hahaha
Old 01 May 2014, 05:21 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha ha - hidden car scene.
I'm not sure such a thing exists.
I moved away from the Subaru marque some time ago, but still keep in touch.
I know that in N.Ireland, the Subaru lot don't meet up so much.
As for the Bangor comment GH80 - they wee bucks used to go to the carpark at the front of the train station, but there weren't too many of them.

To Helix
The cost of taxing a car such as an STI in southern Ireland is stupid - about 2K Euro if I remember correctly. (Subaru Ireland don't sell STI's anymore)
There is no super unleaded in southern Ireland either.
If you decide to import the car, then the Irish government will nail you there too with import taxes.

And Ireland wonder why their economy is still fcuked!

As for rallying, well good luck with that being a student.
Old 01 May 2014, 05:22 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

How to get started in motorsport.
I can help you get a motorsport license if you wish.
Old 01 May 2014, 05:29 PM
Helix1996
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by urban
How to get started in motorsport.
I can help you get a motorsport license if you wish.
I would love it if you give me some info yes. Thank you
Old 01 May 2014, 05:34 PM
Helix1996
Scooby Newbie

As for the Bangor comment GH80 - they wee bucks used to go to the carpark at the front of the train station, but there weren't too many of them.

To Helix
The cost of taxing a car such as an STI in southern Ireland is stupid - about 2K Euro if I remember correctly. (Subaru Ireland don't sell STI's anymore)
If you decide to import the car, then the Irish government will nail you there too with import taxes.

Import a car? No way man, or maybe. Anyway, there are a lot of nice cars already in SI. Also, if the cost of taxing a car is 2K then I don't mind at all. Let me tell you why... Where I come from, car customs go over 100% of the car's price and keep increasing with options. Therefore, a 2014 Range Rover Vogue HSE costs 145K Euro. You can imagine...

As for rallying, I'm going into pro rallying lol, 1-2 races a year for me are plenty enough for me.
Old 01 May 2014, 05:47 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

You'll need to register with Motorsport Ireland for a start, but you can only do this once living in ireland.
After that then you need to pass a motorsport exam, bit do the first thing
Old 01 May 2014, 07:19 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GH80

Your not looking in the right places. lol
Old 01 May 2014, 07:22 PM
Helix1996
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by rb5 stu
Your not looking in the right places. lol
I'm gonna hold you accountable for saying that. I'm interested in knowing where these 'right places' are. Be enthusiastic everyone.
Old 01 May 2014, 07:27 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

I am in the north but I understand to tax even a small
car is ridiculously expensive and the roads down south
aren't particularly well looked after resulting in used cars
that have had a harder than normal life.
Old 01 May 2014, 08:13 PM
byrnezer
Scooby Newbie

To Helix

if your talking about changing a car onto Irish plates then it is expensive but for a years tax on an sti its about 750 a year
Old 01 May 2014, 08:16 PM
Helix1996
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by byrnezer
if your talking about changing a car onto Irish plates then it is expensive but for a years tax on an sti its about 750 a year
Fantastic, that's quite good. I found some good Sti examples already in Southern Ireland. Do you know any good websites that sell subarus? Evos? Skylines? M3s? M5s? S2000s? Audi S4? S6? Or others...

Why are AMG cars much more expensive in southern Ireland than in the UK?
Old 01 May 2014, 10:00 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Donedeal.ie
If you move to Dublin, there is a racetrack not too far away that does open track days, also time attack, Touring car etc etc
If your interested in Subaru forum in Southern Ireland try isdc.ie.

Cars in Southern Ireland have a stupid tax on them called vrt, which is a registration tax hence why cars seem more expensive than Northern Ireland... Road tax is crazy here ... 2ltr sti is about 700euro.. 2.5 is 1100e 3.2 m3 1800e

If you have a uk address, keep a uk reg car over here... That's cheapest wAy

Last edited by kenc; 01 May 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01 May 2014, 11:03 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

Yeah isdc are a pretty decent bunch
Old 02 May 2014, 01:45 AM
byrnezer
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Helix1996
Fantastic, that's quite good. I found some good Sti examples already in Southern Ireland. Do you know any good websites that sell subarus? Evos? Skylines? M3s? M5s? S2000s? Audi S4? S6? Or others...

Why are AMG cars much more expensive in southern Ireland than in the UK?
theirsa good site called scoobymaniacs.com as well and i know a lad that sells and breaks evos 1-3
Old 02 May 2014, 06:50 AM
Helix1996
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by kenc
Donedeal.ie
If you move to Dublin, there is a racetrack not too far away that does open track days, also time attack, Touring car etc etc
If your interested in Subaru forum in Southern Ireland try isdc.ie.

Cars in Southern Ireland have a stupid tax on them called vrt, which is a registration tax hence why cars seem more expensive than Northern Ireland... Road tax is crazy here ... 2ltr sti is about 700euro.. 2.5 is 1100e 3.2 m3 1800e

If you have a uk address, keep a uk reg car over here... That's cheapest wAy
Yeah I've already looked at DoneDeal before, it's a decent site with good cars. Does the online VRT calculator reflect the real value I will pay? Or is it just speculation?
Old 02 May 2014, 10:43 AM
kenc
Scooby Regular

It should be correct in the perfect world... Problem is dealing with the d#ck head at the vrt desk..

There is no value in going that route, lots of cheap cars already on Irish reg, you can keep if on uk reg if you have a Uk address do