Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How much power can a JDM Blobeye run compared to a Uk Blobeye ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2014, 09:02 AM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power can a JDM Blobeye run compared to a Uk Blobeye ?

Im thinking of buying a Blobeye and was wandering how much more power can be had reliably from a stock 2 litre JDM engine in comparison to a stock Uk 2 litre engine ?
Also ive read that the JDM cars are better to drive than UK. Why is this ?
Im deciding on either a low miles WR1 or a low miles JDM.
Old 20 May 2014, 09:09 AM
AaronJ
Scooby Regular

What's the mileage on the JDM? Around 450ish iv been told as that's what my car will be running soon on a SC46 TS billet turbo

Mines a late blob JDM

Last edited by AaronJ; 20 May 2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 20 May 2014, 09:12 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

How long is a piece of string?

Some are running 500+ on uk engine same for the JDM.

I'm at 453 and it's been like that for 5 years.

Serviced regularly with good oils, don't thrash the living guts out of it everywhere you go and they can be a good reliable engine, how long it's gonna last is anybody's guess really.
Old 20 May 2014, 09:29 AM
AaronJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
How long is a piece of string?

Some are running 500+ on uk engine same for the JDM.

I'm at 453 and it's been like that for 5 years.

Serviced regularly with good oils, don't thrash the living guts out of it everywhere you go and they can be a good reliable engine, how long it's gonna last is anybody's guess really.

Find that a bit of a contradiction don't thrash it everywhere then it can be reliable iv always had engines that I can thrash and they still run sweet after many thrashing that in my book.is reliable
Old 20 May 2014, 09:34 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Don't be fooled into thinking the JDM engine is better than a UK, they have crap cast pistons in them, ive stripped few recently that suffered piston problems. I don't know if they are in them all but the 3 engines I have here were Bug eye's.
Old 20 May 2014, 09:44 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JC-R
Im thinking of buying a Blobeye and was wandering how much more power can be had reliably from a stock 2 litre JDM engine in comparison to a stock Uk 2 litre engine ?
Im deciding on either a low miles WR1 or a low miles JDM.
I mite get shot down for saying this but from what I can tell the JDM is just a evo in Subaru clothing. I haven't drove a spec c but when ever people describe them I always think it sounds like a evo.

The very reason that we buy Subaru over the evo is the reason I wouldn't buy a spec c.
I was considering getting one but I have come to the conclusion (I mite be wrong) that they don't have as planted a feeling and the engine needs to be reved more.

I could be wrong about the spec c but if a wanted a more focused car that i could chase bhp figures with I would just get a evo.
Old 20 May 2014, 10:20 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The JDM twin scrolls sound awesome

Trending Topics

Old 20 May 2014, 12:09 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by wms-racing
Don't be fooled into thinking the JDM engine is better than a UK, they have crap cast pistons in them, ive stripped few recently that suffered piston problems. I don't know if they are in them all but the 3 engines I have here were Bug eye's.
Cast pistons ???? They are WRX motors right ??
Old 20 May 2014, 12:15 PM
Pharrell Williams
Scooby Newbie

'cos of the JDMness. How can you not know this?
Old 20 May 2014, 12:39 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

I've been running 426/390 for many years without engine issues .. and 105k miles on clock .. so it gets used ..
Old 20 May 2014, 12:57 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris j t
I mite get shot down for saying this but from what I can tell the JDM is just a evo in Subaru clothing. I haven't drove a spec c but when ever people describe them I always think it sounds like a evo.

The very reason that we buy Subaru over the evo is the reason I wouldn't buy a spec c.
I was considering getting one but I have come to the conclusion (I mite be wrong) that they don't have as planted a feeling and the engine needs to be reved more.

I could be wrong about the spec c but if a wanted a more focused car that i could chase bhp figures with I would just get a evo.
You need to drive a Spec C!
Old 20 May 2014, 02:29 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Would have thought so Matty. The jdm bug uses pukka forged pistons and rods (as did the uk bug sti). The jdm blob uses cast hypereutectic pistons. Some info here.

https://www.scoobynet.com/showthread.php?t=936122&styleid=26

As to which is better? The jdm does have a few extras over the uk but it's a personal thing. Some like the burble some like the twin scroll scream. The twin scroll does pull from lower and holds power for longer than the uk model.
Old 20 May 2014, 02:37 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by AaronJ
Find that a bit of a contradiction don't thrash it everywhere then it capn be reliable iv always had engines that I can thrash and they still run sweet after many thrashing that in my book.is reliable
I doubt you're red lining it in every gear on every journey. We all give it some here and there which is what I think Infected by sti means.
Old 20 May 2014, 03:07 PM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm Ok cheers chaps, good info. Horses for courses then i suppose.

I like the thaught of a better power range of the JDM but i love the burbe noise of the uk .

Originally Posted by Pharrell Williams
'cos of the JDMness. How can you not know this?
Sorry mate i just dont know cos ive never driven a JDM scoob. What do you like about the JDMness over UKness ?
Old 20 May 2014, 03:49 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
When I read something like this it makes me feel like I am missing out. Does the spec c not take away the reason we buy the Subaru over the evo? I am not asking which is best uk/spec c (technically speaking) but the reason I don't buy the evo isn't because I think the sti UK is better but because I like it more.
Old 20 May 2014, 04:09 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
No they are not wrx, I can't say every JDM STI engine is the same but all the ones I have stripped have cast pistons, it's nothing like a WRX type, I'll put a pic up shortly. They have nitrided x drilled cranks, the rods are the same as a UK STI, not not the pistons.
Old 20 May 2014, 04:18 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Here you go, ive actually stripped 4 JDM's recently, 2 Customer jobs, my own Bug and 2 engines I bought for parts/builds, they all had these internals.
Old 20 May 2014, 05:03 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever found a forged set as standard in a JDM bug?
Old 20 May 2014, 05:11 PM
tarquin crispin
Scooby Regular

whats in the jdm hawkeye then ??
Old 20 May 2014, 05:37 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AaronJ
Find that a bit of a contradiction don't thrash it everywhere then it can be reliable iv always had engines that I can thrash and they still run sweet after many thrashing that in my book.is reliable
If you drove the living guts out of it everywhere you went buddy your licence would have been long gone by now

What I mean by that statement is your not launching it every start, driving it high up in the revs holding it flat out hiring limiters everywhere.

As Maz said everyone has a go here and there, but that's a different league to driving like a 17yr old who just past his test and gets given one of these cars, how long do you think it would last

I drive mine like it's suppose to be driven, but I ain't bouncing off limiters everywhere and don't hold it down until it's last breath, that's what I was trying to say, I respect it as well as use it
Old 20 May 2014, 05:50 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by juggers
Until you have driven one then it's difficult to comment. Juggers as owned most of the JDM class and I would value his advice anytime. My mates Spec C RA Bug (Valley Commando) is now way over 100k and it's had some spirited driving and is as sweet as a nut, eh Craig .

I think the problems that occur with JDM engines is poor maintenance and low octane fuel. Many people run them on a budget, expect to get away with it and think it's OK, it's not.

Newage JDM WRX's (not STi's) have the AVCS heads and come with 250 BHP as standard and there are a few about and make great base cars with that JDM feel.

Tarquin, the Hawk JDM still runs a 2.0l block.

But to the OP, power is not everything, think Kitcar or Caterham!

Unless it's a **** waving exercise in the pub with your baseball cap on backwards 'innit!.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 20 May 2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 20 May 2014, 06:09 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Have you ever found a forged set as standard in a JDM bug?
No, only the ones pictured.
Old 20 May 2014, 06:28 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40657bhp. and the JDM is a far superior drive in many ways. The haters just hate because they don't own.
Old 20 May 2014, 06:41 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Having had bug, blob, hawk and now an spec c,

The spec c spools earlier and pulls longer than a normal sti, has all the dccd etc, but the beauty is in the chassi, added castor, less weight, this is what makes it feel special, tbh everyone said there an acquired taste, with no sound deadening stiffer chassi and suspension, but tbh I don't notice it much over a normal sti, he'll my spec d had more sound deadening to make it more mature, I found the extra deadening it was in the doors and was 5"x5" lol
Old 20 May 2014, 09:04 PM
tarquin crispin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Until you have driven one then it's difficult to comment. Juggers as owned most of the JDM class and I would value his advice anytime. My mates Spec C RA Bug (Valley Commando) is now way over 100k and it's had some spirited driving and is as sweet as a nut, eh Craig .

I think the problems that occur with JDM engines is poor maintenance and low octane fuel. Many people run them on a budget, expect to get away with it and think it's OK, it's not.

Newage JDM WRX's (not STi's) have the AVCS heads and come with 250 BHP as standard and there are a few about and make great base cars with that JDM feel.

Unless it's a **** waving exercise in the pub with your baseball cap on backwards 'innit!.
I am aware it runs a 2.0L block as i own a JDM Hawkeye i was wonder on the pistons are they cast or Forged ????? I think you misread my question LOL
Old 20 May 2014, 09:13 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
40657bhp. and the JDM is a far superior drive in many ways. The haters just hate because they don't own.
Ha love it, so what about me. I don't like it and I've owned one
Old 21 May 2014, 09:21 AM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
What was it that you didnt like Stevie ?
Old 21 May 2014, 09:33 AM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

How do you mean think Kitcar or Caterham ? Do you mean for me to thinks about buying one or that they are low in power but lightweight ?

I'd be happy with 450 - 470 bhp. Would it be easier/cheaper to get a JDM instead of a uk car to this sort of power level or does it not matter and both would require the same mods to get them to say 450 bhp ?
Old 21 May 2014, 09:45 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Then you obviously don't belong behind the wheel of a car then

Just kiddin'

Seriously though, what one did you own? how the hell did you not find it a better drive? granted I never found the JDM bug that special, but the Type R, Blob and Hawk are worlds away from UK cars.
Old 21 May 2014, 02:48 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

How do you mean think Kitcar or Caterham ? Do you mean for me to thinks about buying one or that they are low in power but lightweight ? I'd be happy with 450 - 470 bhp. Would it be easier/cheaper to get a JDM instead of a uk car to this sort of power level or does it not matter and both would require the same mods to get them to say 450 bhp ?
Both would require the same mods bud, there are people running a lot power on a standard uk engine as there are the jdm's.

Injectors, turbo, exhaust, Fmic and good filter are required on both models to see 450+

Quick Reply: How much power can a JDM Blobeye run compared to a Uk Blobeye ?