ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Heavy steering/ juddering when turning at slow speeds

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2014, 09:22 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy steering/ juddering when turning at slow speeds

This is an odd one. MY05 WRX with BC Coilovers (for 18 months). In the last 2 weeks, my steering has become very heavy at low speeds when I first drive in the morning. Previously this was looked at by the dealer who said that the power steering pump was 'inefficient'. Predictably they advised expensive replacement. Anyway they lubed the universal joint in the engine bay and to be honest, its been fine ever since (about 1 year or more) until 2 weeks ago. I've oiled the UJ although its a bit difficult to get at and its still not quite right (heavy). I'm planning to get some grease onto the UJ by hand (when its cold since turbo is really close by).

The recent problem has been an odd clunking noise from the steering column. It sounds like its coming from underneath the column shroud inside the car. It only happens when I go over rough ground. Its a metallic noise as if something has slight play but the steering wheel feels solid.

Any ideas?

D.
Old 21 May 2014, 09:29 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

I posted that message a while ago and got no response. Have changed PS fluid - made no difference. Steering now a little wobbly from left to right (when not moving) suggesting wear in some part. UJ in engine bay has slight free play which I think is source of wobble. PS belt feels tight.

New problem today - juddering on manoeuvring to left and right at parking speeds as something is slipping (almost like sensation of ABS activating and felt in steering wheel). Completely stumped by this one.
Old 21 May 2014, 09:32 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Oh and steering still heavy - really only noticeable when car is cold. Self correction also poor when cold (have to turn wheel to straight).
Old 21 May 2014, 09:34 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

sounds like pump failure
Old 21 May 2014, 09:45 AM
Dibbles00
Scooby Regular

Possible or maybe the rack or even both. MattyB would most probably have one somewhere. Send him a PM or call him to check. He is very knowledgeable so might be able to point you in the right direction and supply the parts also.
Old 21 May 2014, 10:02 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

I've got a feeling that the PS pump is ok - there's no groaning noises and surely the steering would be heavy at all times and not just when cold? I think that this is a worn mechanical part just not sure what. I agree that the rack is a high possibility. Could also be seized ball joint (track rod end or main suspension ball joint).
Old 21 May 2014, 10:46 AM
Dibbles00
Scooby Regular

Could start off by changing the fluid as that is the cheapest thing to start off with?
Old 21 May 2014, 11:06 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Did this a month ago although I did not completely empty it and refill. I did empty the reservoir and add fresh fluid twice as suggested by some.
Old 21 May 2014, 11:13 AM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

Had the exact same problem,replaced power steering belt and all is well now. Only did it when cold and/or slow moving
Old 21 May 2014, 11:22 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Might well try that and this could easily explain heavy steering but doesn't explain clunking noise from around steering column and more recent juddering feeling when parking.
Old 21 May 2014, 11:31 AM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

Juddering is belt slipping,belts are dirt cheap so it's worth a shot and at least you know it's a new belt fitted
Old 21 May 2014, 11:33 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Maybe the juddering is being caused by belt...

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...p-in-cold.html

I've ordered new belts - the AC belt was slipping 6 months ago and I tightened up which really helped (the AC slipping noise) but I guess new belts for AC and PS would be a good idea. I'm also going to try to flush through the PS fluid. There's a guide on Youtube which advises disconnecting the return pipe and discarding return fluid into a bucket whilst continuously topping up the PS fluid resevoir. This ensures that all fluid is replaced not just what's in the resevoir.
Old 21 May 2014, 11:41 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

I think that clunking noise maybe free play in UJ transitted up the steering column - it's very noticable over a bump but I can otherwise live with it. New UJ very expensive (prob about £150 from dealer) and 2nd hand ones seem to be hard to come by.
Old 21 May 2014, 06:33 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chieftain333
Had the exact same problem,replaced power steering belt and all is well now. Only did it when cold and/or slow moving
Same here
Old 21 May 2014, 08:37 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

When you replaced the fluid you need to turn lock to lock several times to mix the old with new fluid as some will still be in the popes and rack.
Flushed mine four times used nearly 2l of fluid made a big difference
You can also remove the return pipe to the tank and keep filling up while lock to lock until you get fresh fluid back, needs two people
Old 27 May 2014, 09:25 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Both AC and PS belts replaced a few days ago. Also emptied and refilled PS fluid a few times (after turning steering lock to lock). Steering definitely MUCH better but not quite 100% - remains a little heavy from cold. The clunking noise over bumpy roads is still present and I know that there is some free play in steering column UJ. I suppose replacing this next would be sensible.
Old 27 May 2014, 10:17 AM
Dibbles00
Scooby Regular

It could be your top mounts or something to do with the suspension itself?
Old 20 August 2014, 08:03 PM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Smile

Update on this old thread in case it helps out someone with similar problem. I've always been convinced that steering UJ is faulty so thought I'll take it out and have a look at it. Removing it is a complete b***er, it must be one of the most inaccessible parts in this car. For the sake of helping others who want to do same job, I'll go through how I did it. I have access to full workshop manual but did it slightly differently. First thing is to make sure steering wheel is dead central. I used clamp to hold it in position. I also decided to keep all 4 wheels on with car on concrete blocks. Although I have axle stands, I never fully trust them when I have to climb underneath car. Getting light to UJ is almost impossible, too many things in the way including me. There are two 12 mm bolts to be removed, predictably they were tight. I found that the best way to get at bulkhead bolt was with long extension on socket set angling backwards. The other bolt was most easily accessed through gap above suspension arm. This would have been easier with drivers side wheel off but was possible with wheel on. You then slide UJ up towards bulkhead. This frees up the lower yoke and allows to pull the top one free.

What I found was that top joint was loose which would explain clunking noise previously mentioned. One half of the lower joint was stuck solid - it should move in 2 directions but would only move in one. With a lot of effort, I eventually freed it up and applied copious grease.

Refitted it and was delighted to find that steering is no longer stiff. I suspect that clunking noise will still be there but I can live with that and may get replacement if I can find the right one on e-bay.
Old 07 October 2014, 08:31 PM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Update:

Clunking was still there so I've been looking out for a replacement. Have learned that the STi UJ is same length but rubber damper is deleted (just has metal rod between the two yokes. Bought one off ebay (according to ad, part is from JDM MY06 STi Spec C with 'low mileage'). It seems to fit perfectly and clunking noise is cured. Steering feels more direct but early days...
Old 07 October 2014, 08:39 PM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Well done for posting up the updates and grats for persevering and getting to the bottom of it :-)
Old 07 October 2014, 11:11 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Perfect timing with the update mate, ive been suffering with the same problem ,I changed the power steering pump and fluid and all seemed okay until two days ago when it went solid again,i changed the front shocks to bc coilovers to see if it was the top mounts but that's not helped and was considering changing the rack.
I hope you've cured your problem and please let me know if it lasts as im not sure what to change now.
Old 08 October 2014, 12:37 AM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Stu turbo 98

I would advise removing your UJ to have a good look at it. If part of it is seized, you'll not free it up properly unless it's off the car. I had to work hard to free up the old one and there's no doubt now that the stiff steering was due to seized lower joint and clunking was due to a worn out upper joint
Old 08 October 2014, 07:16 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply ,ill get it checked asap