Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

RX7

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2001, 01:32 PM
Nick Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine is very interested in buying a Mazda RX7,but would like to know a bit more about the make.Personally i know nothing about this type of car apart from they look good.What do you guys think?Should he or shouldnt he?
Old 07 May 2001, 05:06 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Fast RWD twin turbo. The car is a bed-fellow of the Nissan 300ZX, Mitsubishi 3000GT and Toyota Supra. Some of them look stunning and some look a bit bland - not sure whether this is due to changing model years or just different kit people add. Most famous for having a rotary ****el engine although I'm still not quite sure what that is! Expect it would be good fun to drive despite this breed having been brought close to extinction by the 4WD turbo Jap saloons.

Evo mag Sept 1999 has a comprehensive buying guide. I could attempt to scan and e-mail the article if your mate can't get hold of a copy.
Old 07 May 2001, 05:10 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

LOL

its censored the W_A_N_K_E_L

Another test:

That car is s****y!

(PS I think it would be very important to get a well maintained example.)
Old 07 May 2001, 05:11 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

The RX-7's rotary engine is pretty thirsty with respect to fuel.

Do you know which year RX-7 he is interested in? There have been many RX-7s over the years.
Old 07 May 2001, 06:26 PM
Nick Young
Scooby Regular

Im not certain of the model,I know its a third generation(phase 3)twin turbo jobie on a k plate.From the pictures he has shown me it looks the biz,silver with red leather interior,and apparently kicks out 275bhp,0-60 in under 5 seconds(so im told).However I have told him for the money he is paying he could get himself i nice scooby,but he don't listen,although as i said it reaslly does look superb.

Old 07 May 2001, 06:40 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

I had a friend who had a phase II RX7 and that had engine reliability problems.....as well as being thirsty, the rotor tips wear pretty quickly and are very expensive to replace etc... I'd be very careful buying one of these secondhand.

Gastro
Old 07 May 2001, 10:09 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

RX7's are great looking cars and are built even better, ive driven a couple and 1 included a 500BHP Jap import which was a little hairy

The UK has had its fair share of RX7's but Mazda decided to stop due to reliability problems with the Phase 3 W A N K E L Engine as it was too unreliable and some engines gave up at before 30K Miles! I know of some cars that have done over 100K and are still going strong but I would be very cautious of buying one unless it was perfectly services UK or Import! If you let the servicing slide on one of these thats how the problems start so make sure its a full Dealer Service, not an Importer who serviced it, Jap Mazda dealer is as good as UK dealer.

The Efini versions were the quickest they build with around 280BHP which are a little lighter and have some different spoilers, this version made the UK Version look like a Mini as it was far better engineered.

There are dozens or Owners and reference websites, best sites seem to the US sites as they have alot more experience of these cars than us. Just remind your mate not to buy the 1st one he sees as there are some great looking cars but its the engine thats the most important thing on one of these, you cannot compare buying one of these to buying a Scoob as the engine rebuild can cost you more than your house if it lets go big time!

Harj...
Old 07 May 2001, 10:35 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

I think at 275 bhp it is modified if on a K plate.

They are lovely cars though. Nearly bought one back in late 96 instead of my97 Impreza but could not really fit in it!!

Also, pretty glad I bought the Impreza!! Ha Ha