ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Blobeye power steering

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2014, 08:36 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye power steering

Hi everyone, need to pick your brains, right ive had a squeaky power steering belt on the blog for a couple of weeks now, only every so often, so went to tighten the belt up and noticed the top of the power steering pump bracket (where the tension bolt is ) was snapped. So rang colverwells and they wanted £120+ vat to for a new one but couldn't get it till at least a week as needed to get it from Japan. So I took it to a mate who welds alloy and he fixed it for us, while taking the bracket of I had to move the power steering pump out of the way but didn't need to undo any hoses at all, now it's all refitted, steering is kind of heavy and there is a constant whining/grating coming from the pump, and the power steering resavoir froths up quite bad, I thought maybe some air had got in somehow but the only bled nipple I can see is on the back of the pump itself, firstly I can't see how any air could've got in as didn't undo any hoses and secondly I've read that there is a bleed nipple of the steering rack itself, I can't see it anywhere but it could be well hidden, trouble is I need the car for tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 11 October 2014, 07:42 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Try bleeding the steering system again, leave the cap off the reservoir and with the engine running turn the steering lock to lock a few times and see if it quietens down, also check none of the pipes are kinked.
Old 11 October 2014, 11:17 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, I stripped it down again twice today and it still wouldn't work after bleeding it both times, by this point I was soaked from the rain and it was piss1ng me of, I then lost my temper and hit it hard with a hammer, and it's fine now, "if in doubt give it a clout" springs to mind