Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

HELP! - Import Paperwork? (Broker has folded!)

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2001, 11:42 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Help me obi-wan-kenobi (sp?) etc etc.

OK - my fathers car is on the dealer forecourt in Holland - has been for over a week. The (MAJOR!) UK broker who has received payment for handling all the paperwork is finally admitting that they are in the early stages of liquidation......(thankfully no payment has been made for delivery, and deposit went straight to Euro dealer).

My dad has now been told that he effectively needs to do the deed himself. Dealer can still transport, but can anyone confirm paperwork side?

Have been told we need Certificate Of Conformity and the Invoice. Nothing else. Euro dealer is posting them.

Understand that VAT man will be triggered when my father registers the car with DVLC.

Is this correct?

Since car will be on a transporter, will it pass through customs OK without the Cert Of Conformity "travelling with it"?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mik
Old 08 May 2001, 01:35 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Question

C'mon all you self-importers.....pretty please!

Old 08 May 2001, 01:40 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mate of mine imported an audi A3 sport, he has drove it on foreign plates for few months, one you get 6K miles on it its second hand and you dont pay VAT!! when you inform the DVLA - jammy b.stard!! - Drive it round europe for the summer touring if you wannna do it legally!!
Worth a go but no idea about the importing/paperwork side, will find out if poss and re-post!!
Old 08 May 2001, 02:24 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Try
Old 08 May 2001, 02:37 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks Steve - can't see anything (despite an extensive (5 mins at least!) search), although I think they used to have something....buggar.

I know I can get it all from the guy at
Old 08 May 2001, 02:52 PM
S
Scooby Regular

ring this number and ask for stuart 0191 206 4100
Old 08 May 2001, 03:24 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Cool

If you are still stuck give me a call anytime

01242 260406

Regards

Iain

[This message has been edited by iainlit (edited 08 May 2001).]

Trending Topics

Old 08 May 2001, 05:34 PM
markab
Scooby Regular

Hi Mik,

You could try
Old 08 May 2001, 06:29 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Question

As a matter of interest to people like myself waiting for their imports, which Broker did your father use ?
Old 08 May 2001, 06:40 PM
MarkM
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Mik,
Sorry to hear about your father's problems with the UK broker. If I am allowed to do a little self-promotion here, we have been servicing the Scooby community with imports since '99 and as a gesture of goodwill to prove that not all brokers are the same, we would be happy to help you with the paperwork side of things FOC. Visit our website at:
Old 08 May 2001, 08:37 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
newbie,
its probably GREYuk, they folded last week, and have been taken over by snoop4.com.
chrs alan
Old 08 May 2001, 08:56 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Give the DVLA or your local Vehicle Registration Office a ring, tell them that you are importing a car and ask for an information pack. This should contain the paperwork you need.

You must get the Certificate Of Conformity and an invoice from the dealer. I also needed a receipt for the ferry to prove the car was a personal import.

The VAT bill will arrive a few weeks after registering the car

I collected my car myself and drove back through customs - they didn't stop me.

Cheers,

Ian.

P.S. Its a lot easier than you'd think
Old 08 May 2001, 09:06 PM
Rajd
Scooby Regular

Mik,

See
Old 08 May 2001, 09:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It's easy. The dealer will already have ordered the Certificate of Conformity. You will need this. Have the dealer arrange temporary plates, and you can drive it back, otherwise get a transporter and collect it.

As already mentioned, you'll need an invoice, the CoC and V55/5 to fill out. The V55/5 can be obtained from your local transport office.

Any problems, do drop me a mail. I'm in Nice at the moment but will check mail quite often.

DO NOT PANIC! It really is easy!

Nick.
Old 08 May 2001, 11:29 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

It's probably a good idea to have insurance for the trip back from Europe. If you can't find a UK company to provide this (they seem reluctant), the foreign dealer can arrange this.

You'll also need an insurance cover note when you register the car to pay for the road tax and new car registration fee (£25 IIRC). The insurance can be arranged on the chassis no. with reg no. to be advised.

Kevin.
Old 09 May 2001, 09:12 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Gents,

Many genuine thanks for everyones responses. Dissapointing to read Aaron Birds thread this morning, 'cos THIS is the kind of reason I use Scoobynet (despite not owning a Scooby....wait a minute, the biggest reason for that is 'cos I DO have a Wife and Kids..!)

Albob ~ yes it was GreyUK, but at this point it is not clear whether snoop4cars will trade at all.....existing customers are being told to "do it yerself".....

Stuart/MarkM - thanks for your "phone me" offers ~ not exercised 'cos I took up the similar offer from Ianlit....who hereby wins the "TOP BLOKE AWARD".

I said it to Iain last night, but I'll say it again in public - THANK YOU SIR! - the info was MUCH appreciated. Iain also put us in touch with a reputable transport company who will pick up the car next week and deliver to my Fathers house for a VERY reasonable fee. (European dealer had offered to use existing transporter (as used by GreyUK), but they are x-directory, and will not accept payment by credit card.....hmmmm.....now I'm not suggesting they may be owed money by GreyUK or anything, but.......)

For the moment the panic is over.

Unfortunatley Iain, I'm unlikely to be in the market for a MY01 / EVOVII import in the near future, but I may stretch to a Leon 20VT early next year - if Litchfields are still trading in Seat then I will most definately give you a shout.

Cheers Again,
Mik