ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Just saying Hi

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2014, 07:14 PM
Brothers Grin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just saying Hi

Hi everybody, thought it was time to say hello. Have always loved Scoobys but could never afford one so have been loyal to the Vauxhall badge. Built a 300bhp Corsa and currently driving a 280bhp 07 Astra VXR which is going to make way for a Scooby asap.

Looking to learn as much as poss as the search begins so please forgive the stupid questions!

Here's a couple of pics of the Corsa

And the current VXR

BG
Old 14 October 2014, 07:24 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and welcome. I used to have an Arden Astra VXR which I owned for 2 year. It turned heads everywhere and it was very nice to sit inside. Mine had full heated leather, sat nav, xenons, cruise control and climate control etc. I sold it 6 months ago for a great condition, low mileage standard Impreza turbo 2000. Honestly I don't regret selling the VXR at all. The Impreza is more fun to drive and a lot more of a drivers car. I don't miss the creature comforts either.

Old 14 October 2014, 08:42 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

welcome
Old 14 October 2014, 08:44 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Another Corsasport member making the movie to a Subaru eh?

Howdy.
Old 14 October 2014, 08:47 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome along. I've currently got a Corsa Gsi sat in garage awaiting some tlc. And a mate of mine has a 300bhp burg, that's he keeps trying to race me in.
Old 14 October 2014, 08:51 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Welcome mate!! what sort of Impreza you after???

Sound so good those Astra VXR's!! A white one comes past my house occasionally and it sounds so good on boost!!
Old 14 October 2014, 10:35 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet.

Be aware of the cynics though!
Old 15 October 2014, 10:57 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

Used to be a big vauxhall fan aswell, still am, but only running scoobies at the momment, last vauxhall i had was the corsa sport 1.6, spent tones on getting it in showroom condition before crashing it

Since then been on the Impreza's
Old 15 October 2014, 11:21 AM
Brothers Grin
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the welcome guys. Not corsasport but used to run PVG (Performance Vauxhall Group)

The VXR is great and has all the option boxes ticked but now is the time for an Impreza. Really want a STi but seen some good WRX's, just got to shift the VXR first!
Old 15 October 2014, 11:26 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

Always fancied trying a Astra or Corsa vxr for maybe 12 months. Any pro's or con's?

What shape impreza you after?
Old 15 October 2014, 11:50 AM
Brothers Grin
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Always fancied trying a Astra or Corsa vxr for maybe 12 months. Any pro's or con's?

The Astra VXR is a great FWD car, great fun to drive on the road or the track and with the right subtle mods goes even better. Engine is a cracker and the pistons can handle 500bhp. Cons wise, its FWD!

Impreza wise, I do love a good classic but do really fancy a blob eye!
Old 15 October 2014, 12:40 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brothers Grin
Thanks for the welcome guys. Not corsasport but used to run PVG (Performance Vauxhall Group)
Fair game, sure i've seen your Corsa on CS at some point. It's a real nice example of a Corsa done properly either way.
Old 15 October 2014, 12:48 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SN.

Remember, to not be abused on here

1, you need to not do anything individual to your car
2, you must own other expensive cars that you can throw into discussions to show the size of your manhood
3, Join or agree with everything that the troll group say (some of the group don't even own a Subaru anymore)
4, Get your post count up as fast as possible by insulting everyone you can
5, Have multiple alias's
6, Do not talk about dump valves, or ask legitimate newbie ownership questions - you will be ridiculed for not knowing everything in the world
7, Do not talk about companies that have screwed you over, censorship is in place

I may add a few more to list during the day

Enjoy Scoobynet, its great!
Old 15 October 2014, 01:30 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi

Corsa VXR I wouldn't even bother as it'll feel very underpowered. Astra VXR yes you will enjoy but you may not like the FWD compared to the handling of the Subaru. It has a lot of torque steer which takes some getting used to and it has a lot of understeer. I fitted a Whiteline RARB which is a common mod to do and it improves the handling A LOT. Gearbox failure is quite worrying with the Astra VXR but if you buy one with a full service history and change your gearbox oil each year along with the engine oil you should be OK. In 2 years I had no issues with mine apart from a turbo which cost me £650 odd. Since coming from a standard (power wise) 240bhp Astra VXR to a bog standard 215bhp Turbo 2000, I prefer the Subaru and don't even look back.

Originally Posted by Trinity
Welcome to SN.

2, you must own other expensive cars that you can throw into discussions to show the size of your manhood
3, Join or agree with everything that the troll group say (some of the group don't even own a Subaru anymore)
5, Have multiple alias's
6, Do not talk about dump valves, or ask legitimate newbie ownership questions - you will be ridiculed for not knowing everything in the world
7, Do not talk about companies that have screwed you over, censorship is in place

Summed up very nicely .

Last edited by LSherratt; 15 October 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 15 October 2014, 06:13 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brothers Grin
The Astra VXR is a great FWD car, great fun to drive on the road or the track and with the right subtle mods goes even better. Engine is a cracker and the pistons can handle 500bhp. Cons wise, its FWD!

Impreza wise, I do love a good classic but do really fancy a blob eye!
Same problem with the Focus RS, great car and ticks all boxes, but when it rains or even worse snows, you might aswell take public transport as its a lot safer! but in the dry what a awesome car!!!

Whats the gearbox's like on the Astra VXR?? My father in law has built plenty of gearboxes over the years for these, reckons they are not to great and share the same gearbox as one of the lesser spec models in the range like the 1.4 Astra and a few of the Astra diesels??
Old 16 October 2014, 07:56 AM
oldman-wrx
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet
Old 16 October 2014, 04:23 PM
Brothers Grin
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Same problem with the Focus RS, great car and ticks all boxes, but when it rains or even worse snows, you might aswell take public transport as its a lot safer! but in the dry what a awesome car!!!

Whats the gearbox's like on the Astra VXR?? My father in law has built plenty of gearboxes over the years for these, reckons they are not to great and share the same gearbox as one of the lesser spec models in the range like the 1.4 Astra and a few of the Astra diesels??
The M32 gearbox is great, nice and smooth and quite short ratios. It can be problematic but changing gearbox oil on a regular basis should see you right. Heat is its enemy as its quite tight under there. As with any box once you start putting silly power through it then there will be issues. A couple of the Vauxhall tuners offer a breather for the box to reduce heat but not fitted one yet. As far as I know the only other models to use the 6 speed M32 is the Corsa VXR and Zafira VXR.

Thanks for the welcomes and to Trinity for the tips

Last edited by Brothers Grin; 16 October 2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 16 October 2014, 04:27 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Trinity
Welcome to SN.

5, Have multiple alias's

8. Don't mention welcome side-effects from fitment of certain mods.