Old 11 January 2015, 01:28 AM
harry_p1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11 January 2015, 08:29 AM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

We don't sell any Wrx's and only a few Sti's. Emissions too high I think Subaru has given up on us. This isn't just down to our strict regs. They need to move with the times too.....
Old 11 January 2015, 10:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Doesn't Japan have stricter vehicle emissions regs than the EU?

They used to.
Old 11 January 2015, 10:46 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

They would sell more cars here if they brought over the wrx, non 2.5 engine with half sensible emissions figures so more appealing than the sti, and would compete with the likes of the golf gti. US price equates to £17500, even if they put £3000 on top of that it would still be good value (although looking at the price of a new impreza 1.6 I'm guessing they would ask more)
Old 11 January 2015, 10:52 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Oh hang on, when we talk emissions, we are talking about CO2 tax. In other words the tax is too high, not the emissions.

NOx and NMHC (and THC) is the nasty stuff (that's strictly regulated under EURO VI etc). Not the stuff we breath out and get taxed on.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 January 2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:00 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Yes Ali-B the co2 tax is what I meant. Or, the bullsh!t tax. How many cars actually put out the claimed co2 emissions?
Old 11 January 2015, 11:11 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Thank goodness that Subaru built up such a big niche in the US over the years to keep the brand and products going. The UK / European market is tiny for them by comparison.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:23 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CO'2 and tax is an issue...

but our fuel is double the price and the Imprezas mpg is hardly German standard.

Then there is the fact of how big America is (how many more sales of cars), and how their climate varies that a 4x4 in some states is essential and how performance vehicles has a much bigger 'social society' than they do in this country.

Impossible to compare a USDM market to the UK market. Way too many variables.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:29 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Have they ever sold well in the UK?

The UK just buys the badges these days anywho. The American market it much more open minded.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:33 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
CO'2 and tax is an issue...

but our fuel is double the price and the Imprezas mpg is hardly German standard.

Then there is the fact of how big America is (how many more sales of cars), and how their climate varies that a 4x4 in some states is essential and how performance vehicles has a much bigger 'social society' than they do in this country.

Impossible to compare a USDM market to the UK market. Way too many variables.
They drive twice as much plus the Germans are very creative with mpg figures.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:33 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
Have they ever sold well in the UK?

The UK just buys the badges these days anywho. The American market it much more open minded.
or five year warranties from the Koreans.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:34 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The new WRX looks like a car for the 21st century.

It's a handsome car with a turn of pace and decent fuel economy. I can't see how it would be anything other than a raging success over here because it would also be a very easy car to live with on a daily basis.

The current STI is certainly very capable and in my opinion around about the same level as the competition in terms of performance - but not all of the rivals are in the rear view mirror.

However it's not particularly fuel efficient, the emissions are quite poor and we will always have some concerns about the engine given its history - ceramic coated pistons or not. People who have no issue affording those costs will not be bothered by it, but it will be pricing some people out of ownership.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:34 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Yes of course they may drive twice as much, a guy in Scotland drives twice as much as me - what a stupid statement, flmao
Old 11 January 2015, 11:39 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
The new WRX looks like a car for the 21st century.

It's a handsome car with a turn of pace and decent fuel economy. I can't see how it would be anything other than a raging success over here because it would also be a very easy car to live with on a daily basis.

The current STI is certainly very capable and in my opinion around about the same level as the competition in terms of performance - but not all of the rivals are in the rear view mirror.

However it's not particularly fuel efficient, the emissions are quite poor and we will always have some concerns about the engine given its history - ceramic coated pistons or not. People who have no issue affording those costs will not be bothered by it, but it will be pricing some people out of ownership.
It has nothing to do with how good or bad the sti is. People will just go and buy the BMW or the Merc etc.
The POTENTIAL market has no idea about 2.5 issues if even a issue anymore.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:41 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
Yes of course they may drive twice as much, a guy in Scotland drives twice as much as me - what a stupid statement, flmao
The point is that fuel is still a issue for the motorists in the US.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

German cars are just better, let's be honest here! There is no con, the cars are just better designed and executed than Subaru's offerings.
Old 11 January 2015, 12:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Back in the day you could get a brand new Impreza turbo for £20K. This IMO was Subaru's bread and butter.

OK it was laggy, had the wrong gearing and guzzled fuel, but for the money nothing else would come close to it.

Nowadays some new scoobs are approaching £30K. Where there is alot more alternatives that are arguably better cars for similar money. I mean why have a STi dogged by a ancient single scroll turbo and a dubious 2.5 engine. When you can have a new M135i or Golf R for just a couple of grand more?
Old 11 January 2015, 12:09 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
German cars are just better, let's be honest here! There is no con, the cars are just better designed and executed than Subaru's offerings.
Yeh ok.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...le-cars.html/5

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...?frame=2350010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...?frame=2350002

And just to prove I'm not just picking on merc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...?frame=2350013

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 11 January 2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11 January 2015, 12:18 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Back in the day you could get a brand new Impreza turbo for £20K. This IMO was Subaru's bread and butter.

OK it was laggy, had the wrong gearing and guzzled fuel, but for the money nothing else would come close to it.

Nowadays some new scoobs are approaching £30K. Where there is alot more alternatives that are arguably better cars for similar money. I mean why have a STi dogged by a ancient single scroll turbo and a dubious 2.5 engine. When you can have a new M135i or Golf R for just a couple of grand more?
Exactly As I said these days the Germans are building the better cars. When I had my first few Scoobs in the late 90s nothing could touch them bang for buck wise.
Old 11 January 2015, 12:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

LOL at any Subaru fan arguing on the basis of reliability!

My mate bought a Z4 coupe brand new from BMW, it went badly wrong 4 times in 18 months. So BMW did what Subaru do and told him it was his fault for how he used it.... oh no sorry they didn't they supplied him with a brand new Z4 coupe and took his old one away no questions asked. That is why eight years on he still buys BMW!

All cars can go wrong, it is how the dealers react when they do that matters!
Old 11 January 2015, 12:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
American survey: So no French cars. Therefore pointless, as they will always be in there and ten fold worse. Its also suspiciously lacking anything Land Rover.

Anyhoo With this being scoobynet, It worth pointing out what is in one place ahead:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...le-cars.html/6

I wish there was a way I could get our computer system to show statistics for make/model booked in for non-service work. Probably could export it into Access and apply some filters to get a percentage......if I could be arsed. I know it'll be a French car anyway as that all I ever seem to work on, except for tired old Porsches and ex-lease Range Rovers.

Edit...noted you've added more since.....More Renault and Land Rovers...thats more like it...Still lacking Peugeot though

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 January 2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11 January 2015, 12:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
American survey: So no French cars. Therefore pointless, as they will always be in there and ten fold worse. Its also suspiciously lacking anything Land Rover.

Anyhoo With this being scoobynet, It worth pointing out what is in one place ahead:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...le-cars.html/6

I wish there was a way I could get our computer system to show statistics for make/model booked in for non-service work. Probably could export into a spreadsheet and apply some filters to get a percentage......if I could be arsed. I know it'll be a French car anyway as that all I ever seem to work on, except for tired old Porsches and ex-lease Range Rovers.

Edit...noted you've added more since.....
It's also slewed by the class of car. I would expect most BMW and Merc owners would be more picky over a car's faults than the average Ford or Vauxhall owner.

Anyway I know the survey quoted is BS as the SL was only the 8th least reliable and it should have been in the top 3
Old 11 January 2015, 12:29 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
LOL at any Subaru fan arguing on the basis of reliability!

My mate bought a Z4 coupe brand new from BMW, it went badly wrong 4 times in 18 months. So BMW did what Subaru do and told him it was his fault for how he used it.... oh no sorry they didn't they supplied him with a brand new Z4 coupe and took his old one away no questions asked. That is why eight years on he still buys BMW!

All cars can go wrong, it is how the dealers react when they do that matters!
Kudos to BMW for doing what IM should have done. I am not suggesting Subarus are reliable nowadays, in fact that us survey has a subaru brz listed in there as well, just pointing out that German cars aren't all they are cracked up to be.

And yes, I borrowed a brand new z4 for a long weekend, it rattled like **** when I took it back (and no, I didn't miss treat it)
Old 11 January 2015, 12:33 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Ali, there are some French cars that are actually in top ten in some reliability surveys (yeh, I know . . . Me too)

One of the warranty claims companies did post up their findings based on vehicle warranty claim statistics. The German cars didn't fair greatly from what I can remember, and your right, range rovers are awful, they listed that as the car that had the highest value claim out of all cars.
Old 11 January 2015, 12:39 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Having owned around six German cars and two Japanese, in my experience, the Subaru's where FAR better made and FAR more reliable. German cars where once made well, now they are made to break because the 'parts' catalogue became part of the profit imo.

Maybe I just had two good Subarus..but if I had a choice of taking the JDM STI Blob on a European road trip or my Audi A3 TDI Quattro Black Edition - i'd take the Subaru easily, not for the fun factor, for the reliability.

Last edited by Trinity; 11 January 2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11 January 2015, 12:44 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

The point is that fuel is still a issue for the motorists in the US.
Thats not really a point. Any expenditure a person has to spend to live is classed as an 'issue'.

They do not spend on overpriced public transport systems, their vehicle tax system is less is all states i believe, many parts of their economy substitutes road travel so its all relevant (and ilrelevant) at the same time.
Old 11 January 2015, 01:01 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Ali, found it . . . From warranty direct. Check out the bottom ten. All German bar one Citroen! (Well, I am classing a Bentley as German)

http://www.reliabilityindex.com
Old 11 January 2015, 01:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I think Jap cars are better made and I own two German ones.
Old 11 January 2015, 01:15 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I think Jap cars are better made and I own two German ones.
Definitely - they may not had some shiny black crap on the inside but are far better made - built to last.

I found VW and Mercedes to be the worst I have ever owned. My brothers Audi S3 was equally as tormenting to his wallet.

But back in the day, VW were reliable - Its all a con - they add the mark up for replacement parts into the overall profit of a car, so why design and manufacturer parts that dont break? They lose out big time but they make up for it with nice interiors and convincing people over the 'brand'

Quick Reply: Subaru UK take note