ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2.5 engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2015, 03:49 PM
Steve Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2.5 engine ?

Ive heard the 2.5 engine is not as good as the 2.0 engine because of head gasket problems , just wondering if this is true . Also is the sti 2.5 engine just as bad as the wrx 2.5 engine . If head gaskets go is there a better solution of fixing them ,what i am trying to say are they as bad as the rover engines of old
Old 13 January 2015, 03:54 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different compression ratios between the 2.5 wrx and sti

Best to go with the 2.0 safely run upto 500 on the standard engine I run mine upto 470 at 1.9 bar

Steve
Old 13 January 2015, 04:03 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

The 2.5 is a great engine, for road manners/drivability/torque theres no replacement for displacement.

Uprate the HG's, studs, and a lower rating thermostat to keep the temps in check and theyre pretty bomb proof.... oh and get a reputable mapper rather than someone who likes to venture too far into det to find the limits.

For big power then the cdb2.2 builds are stronger, but for most peoples mid power builds I think theyre the block to go for.

Ive got a fresh ej257 for sale if needed.
Old 13 January 2015, 04:05 PM
Steve Scooby
Scooby Regular

I thought the 2.0 engines were better , the reason for the question was i am thinking of getting another scooby ,do i go for a classic or bugeye as ive got around £4000 to spend on a second car or do i go all in part ex my hyundai tucson and have around £7500 to £8000 and get 2.5 hatch as i need room in the boot for the dog
Old 13 January 2015, 04:21 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Betters a bit of a sweeping statement isn't it?

You might want to quantify it a bit.

A good 2.5 against a good 2.0 ..... all other things being equal the 2.5 takes it purely on torque surely. :-)
Old 13 January 2015, 04:23 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG , i get about as bored of 2.5 engine threads as I do of F1 Fan's righteous bollox.

Can we please have a sticky summarising the thousand or so threads all dedicated to this chocolate pile of crap please mods?

or a divvies guide to using the search engine?
Old 13 January 2015, 04:32 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Yeah, theres a lot of forum warriors out there who like something to latch onto and make discussions very one sided for no other reason than they want something to complain about..... shame really as because theres so many of them they tend to get listened to.

My 2.5's had a moderate amount of work, a nice conservative map to 440/440 and its been going for years and taking all the track time I can throw at it ..... so glad I didn't believe all the "chocolate" BS and just get the 2.0 rebuilt.
Old 13 January 2015, 04:34 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Your not going to get an sti hatch for 7500-8000 that's blob sti territory

Legacy what spec is your fresh 2.5 engine?

Steve
Old 13 January 2015, 04:45 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Its a low mileage (18k) ej257. Unopened long block with single AVCS heads.

I bought it a year or so ago with plans for a project, but since then a change of job/house has changed things and its surplus.

If someone just wanted a short block we could come to an arrangement im sure.

Steve, sorry to hijack the thread ...... but have you considered a forester sti at that price range? the dog would love it! :-)
Old 13 January 2015, 06:04 PM
Steve Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Its a low mileage (18k) ej257. Unopened long block with single AVCS heads.

I bought it a year or so ago with plans for a project, but since then a change of job/house has changed things and its surplus.

If someone just wanted a short block we could come to an arrangement im sure.

Steve, sorry to hijack the thread ...... but have you considered a forester sti at that price range? the dog would love it! :-)
no probs mate ,i quite like them but i would have to p/ex my other car and that means getting one from a garage so price would prob to high.
Old 14 January 2015, 11:39 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2.5 is a great engine, for road manners/drivability/torque theres no replacement for displacement.

Uprate the HG's, studs, and a lower rating thermostat to keep the temps in check and theyre pretty bomb proof.... oh and get a reputable mapper rather than someone who likes to venture too far into det to find the limits.

For big power then the cdb2.2 builds are stronger, but for most peoples mid power builds I think theyre the block to go for.

Ive got a fresh ej257 for sale if needed.
Yeah, theres a lot of forum warriors out there who like something to latch onto and make discussions very one sided for no other reason than they want something to complain about..... shame really as because theres so many of them they tend to get listened to.

My 2.5's had a moderate amount of work, a nice conservative map to 440/440 and its been going for years and taking all the track time I can throw at it ..... so glad I didn't believe all the "chocolate" BS and just get the 2.0 rebuilt.
Couldn't agree more, well said.
Old 14 January 2015, 11:41 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

2.5 out of the factory is pretty crap reliability wise, wrx and sti, known for doing ring lands and head gaskets.

However built right they are awesome and better road tuned engine than a 2.0, you just can't beat the torque they produce
Old 14 January 2015, 12:06 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
2.5 out of the factory is pretty crap reliability wise, wrx and sti, known for doing ring lands and head gaskets.

However built right they are awesome and better road tuned engine than a 2.0, you just can't beat the torque they produce
You see this is exactly what we're talking about. Its not crap, thats just inaccurate, yes its not as strong as the EJ205, people need to understand the EJ205 was over engineered, we were spoilt. Yes some EJ257 standard units have blown HG's n ringlands, on the other hand there's lots of 2.5STi's which are still running very well and into 70/80K mileages with zero issues. I have a few mates who have 06 hawk and 08-10STi's who drive the absolute **** out of them on a daily basis and have had no problems. The key thing with all of them is they are modified by people who know what they are doing and MAPPED properly within their limits, so anywhere from 330-400bhp. Usually its ones thats have been modifed past its limits that die, again there are exceptions like the guy above. Also if you actually spend some time delving a bit deeper into the failure stats, from reputable sources, rather than relying on info from disgruntled owners on an internet forum you will see a different story.

Last edited by bioforger; 14 January 2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 14 January 2015, 12:18 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
You see this is exactly what we're talking about. Its not crap, thats just inaccurate, yes its not as strong as the EJ205, people need to understand the EJ205 was over engineered, we were spoilt. Yes some EJ257 standard units have blown HG's n ringlands, on the other hand there's lots of 2.5STi's which are still running very well and into 70/80K mileages with zero issues. I have a few mates who have 06 hawk and 08-10STi's who drive the absolute **** out of them on a daily basis and have had no problems. The key thing with all of them is they are modified by people who know what they are doing and MAPPED properly within their limits, so anywhere from 330-400bhp. Usually its ones thats have been modifed past its limits that die, again there are exceptions like the guy above. Also if you actually spend some time delving a bit deeper into the failure stats, from reputable sources, rather than relying on info from disgruntled owners on an internet forum you will see a different story.
well mine let go, a standard wrx with ringland failure, full service history etc etc so it goes way beyond just bad mapping/maint etc

I do agree the figures prob get over egged, but given how many got replaced under warrenty (guy on here had 3 replacements) and the number of people with them gone on the rather large thread then its pretty obvious is was a weak point.

I doubt the exact failure figures will be known, but to say its the owners fault and the engine was fine is tosh.
Old 14 January 2015, 12:30 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

well mine let go, a standard wrx with ringland failure, full service history etc etc so it goes way beyond just bad mapping/maint etc

I do agree the figures prob get over egged, but given how many got replaced under warrenty (guy on here had 3 replacements) and the number of people with them gone on the rather large thread then its pretty obvious is was a weak point.

I doubt the exact failure figures will be known, but to say its the owners fault and the engine was fine is tosh.
If you read what i typed, I didn't say ALL owners are to blame, we all know there have been failures and to begin with they were poorly handled by IM. However all manufacturers have failures, no standard engine is bulletproof, but there are alot of cases where people have stated the engine was standard, it blew, then it turns out there were lots of different factors involved, including poor maintenance and/or poor tuning/lack of knowledge, run on the wrong fuel. And of course if you ever bought the car 2nd hand what history does it have, how was it driven by the previous owner. A full SH isn't always a good indicator of the cars life. Again im not saying that was the case with yours.
Old 14 January 2015, 12:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

mine failed before i got it, engine to my spec was put in it when i bought it

tbf any car treated crap will never last
Old 14 January 2015, 01:03 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Maybe it wasnt put together right Indeed mechanical sympathy does play a part.
Old 14 January 2015, 01:18 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

tbf any car treated crap will never last
Don't think anyone ever informed my ratty runabout forester of this fact!
Old 14 January 2015, 01:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Don't think anyone ever informed my ratty runabout forester of this fact!
actualy i think forresters and old leggys may be an exception judging by some i see going,,, hahahaha
Old 14 January 2015, 03:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

When I said I wanted to go 2.5 litre, the late, great Harvey Smith advised fully forged and with a decent set of head gaskets.

I can't fault it.
Old 14 January 2015, 03:40 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
When I said I wanted to go 2.5 litre, the late, great Harvey Smith advised fully forged and with a decent set of head gaskets.

I can't fault it.

built right they make an epic road engine
Old 19 January 2015, 10:44 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

I'm running a wrx hatch 2.5 it has been perfect I've had it for a year now and it's much nicer to drive than any of my classic 2.0lt sti. I can't fault 2.5 take as you find it must be luck of the draw.
Old 19 January 2015, 11:08 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a 2.0 doesn't use any oil between services or at all also it doesn't over heat and it has lots of torque.
Old 19 January 2015, 11:23 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
or a divvies guide to using the search engine?
So you can use it you mean?

BTW the 2.5 is fantastic engine in all standard guises. Get one bought, you'll be fine
Old 20 January 2015, 12:38 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
BTW the 2.5 is fantastic engine in all standard guises. Get one bought, you'll be fine
fallen off chair... not sure if sarcasm or not
Old 20 January 2015, 01:41 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

£8k will see you in a rough Hatch STI, that's a large bill waiting to happen. You want to buy a cherished car really.

You could always buy a WRX hatch but that's a bit of a dog imo.
Old 20 January 2015, 01:49 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

666BHP LAST TIME IT WAS DYNO'D BEFORE THE DRAG RUN.

The tuner acknowledges there are faulty 2.5 bottom ends from factory but they claim nearly all 2.5 failures are from the heat generated by the up-pipe, down-pipe and turbo destroying the near by cylinder 3. They claim if you conquer heat management then the stock 2.5 short motor is very capable.
Old 20 January 2015, 04:34 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Quickest/Fastest Stock Shortblock Subaru In The World, 9 Second Pass - YouTube

666BHP LAST TIME IT WAS DYNO'D BEFORE THE DRAG RUN.

The tuner acknowledges there are faulty 2.5 bottom ends from factory but they claim nearly all 2.5 failures are from the heat generated by the up-pipe, down-pipe and turbo destroying the near by cylinder 3. They claim if you conquer heat management then the stock 2.5 short motor is very capable.

How come then its always cylinder 2 & 4 that fail, very rare for 3 to fail, in fact I have not seen any issues with cyl 3, even on my 800bhp 2.35's.
Old 20 January 2015, 06:47 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
How come then its always cylinder 2 & 4 that fail, very rare for 3 to fail, in fact I have not seen any issues with cyl 3, even on my 800bhp 2.35's.

Obviously RS Matt knows more then you, come on its not like you build engines all day!!!
Old 20 January 2015, 07:24 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1

Obviously RS Matt knows more then you, come on its not like you build engines all day!!!

Yes, your quite right, what do I know.

Quick Reply: 2.5 engine ?