Am I asking too much?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2015, 01:47 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Am I asking too much?

Hi folks

Been trying to sell on my 1995 WRX import for a little while. Now that I seem to of got the idleing issue sorted I was thinking of trying to sell again.

Condition wise is pretty good for its age. A small bit of rust on passenger rear quarter, a bit of corrosion on front of ally bonnet, a couple of scuffs on rear bumper and some paint fade on the roof and A pillars. And along with the passenger electric window motor not working, that's about all the bad bits.

Its got 62,000 miles and little history. I recently got Tim Farmer to do a service on it with cambelt change as well. Stainless exhaust with sports cat, larger bonnet scoop and induction scoop but original scoop and grille will go with car.

I have been looking for £1750 cash, but have had nothing in the line of interest (apart from swaps) but cash is most definitely best

So am I asking too much for my WRX?

Thank you folks
Old 14 January 2015, 01:56 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Really hard with classics, the price varies soo much, I see some go below a 1k and some for almost 3k. But have noticed (while i was looking for my wrx) that classics dropped in value that much so that people are even braking good running cars as that raises more money, shame really but just teh way it is i guess.

Just have to be presistant with it and maybe try sticking 1750 ono or even chuck it on facebook and see if pople can value it. Try gumtree as well i see alot of cars go on there.

Sometimes location as where you are based plays a role ie i see cars go for cheaper up in scotland dont know may be just me, so might be worth adding like a walk around vid and posting link on youtube.
Old 14 January 2015, 02:08 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

Wrong month too for selling cars I think, try early feb
Old 14 January 2015, 03:03 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I too have seen classics go for silly cheap and bought the one I had before this for £1200 with some really good spares thrown in. The thing is I have spent a lot of money on it in the 2 years I have owned it and done around 5000 miles in those 2 years as well. I don't really want to reduce it anymore and tbh would rather break it than let it go for much less
Old 14 January 2015, 03:04 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

I've been thinking of getting a wrx. Didn't want to pay over £1500 though as any more your looking at STI money. 2-4k for STI's

Seen an STI sell near me with piston slap for £1500 bargain should of had it.
Old 14 January 2015, 04:35 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I have been told that my engine is in great condition, good compression and pretty quiet. Its not the normal run of the mill 1995 WRX
Old 14 January 2015, 04:53 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EOEUMC
I have been told that my engine is in great condition, good compression and pretty quiet. Its not the normal run of the mill 1995 WRX
A picture paints a thousand words, particularly when you mention rear quarters/arches on a Classic.

"a bit of rust" could mean plus of £1000 if done properly and not by Back Street Bob's Bodyshop. As you may know the damage is internal and a good look behind the boot linings into the rear arches behind the rear seats is a good start. Post Christmas is never a good time to sell.

Once repaired and with a good clean up you may achieve £2500 if someone knows what they want. OE cars seem to fetch a bit more than those with body mod's.
Old 14 January 2015, 07:53 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Here's the rust

Old 14 January 2015, 08:18 PM
RDH
Scooby Regular

Where are you ?
Old 14 January 2015, 08:43 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RDH
Where are you ?
March, Cambridgeshire
Old 15 January 2015, 08:54 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EOEUMC
Here's the rust

If you can get some pictures from the inside by removing the inner trim and getting a torch down into the cavities. It may look minor from the outside but all the rot will be inside.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 15 January 2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 15 January 2015, 05:52 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not so sure in this case, it does look really, really minor. It's an import, so it depends what use it's seen in wet weather and salty winters in this country.

My drivers side looked a little worse than that when it was fixed and the inside of the arches in the boot are absolutely mint both sides.
Old 15 January 2015, 08:37 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

The issue is the market. There is an abundance of impreza's out there under 2K. Unfortunately a 20 year old WRX needing quite a bit of paint and with little history really isn't that desirable.
Glens car isn't the usual boy racer butchered banger but to the average potential cheap impreza owner it's not desirable enough.

And I don't think breaking it will be the right route either. It's pretty standard so bits won't sell easily or quickly so you'll end up getting dribs and drabs of money. And you'll finish up with lots of bits nobody wants which you'll end up taking down the scrap yard. I'd honestly be surprised if you managed to get £1500 for it in parts. Add in all the time, effort and headaches involved with breaking a car and it soon becomes pointless.

Keep the car, do the paintwork slowly over time and build up a bit of a history file. If the bodywork was nice and there was some proof of services etc etc then it would be far easier to sell and bring alot more money.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 15 January 2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 16 January 2015, 08:02 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

i agree with matt glen .i broke my classic got good money for it but only because everything from shocks & springs to arb`s to lights and so on was uprated with brand new stuff ,so when i stripped people didn,t mind paying for the parts and in some cases i had to lower the price in order to sell . 3 mths on and i just sold my alloy wishbones that i prettty much mirror polished to look new and changed all bushes to powerflex and evan then struggled to get £50 when u think standard ones that are dirty and look crap go for same price ...

my interior was in a sea off classic interiors so had to sell as best offer , All the uprated stuff and gauges proper brand names like whiteline,rcm,tein,boge/sache all sold very quickly dew to being mint and new
no one wants my refurbed 4 pots and discs and pads evan though there new and from aztec motorsport ,nobody wants to offer good money for my 2 pot rears again all new and refurbed

your car has got sliders all way round which mean no one will want them your gearbox is worth £150 ur turbo £40 at a push,shocks and springs if cleaned up £50 to £100

your whole engine regarding on whats been serviced as i now you had cambelt and rocker cover gaskets done maybe £400

as we all no gumtree and facebook are full cars like yours for £1200 or under evan on flebay it might not reach that much

if your desperate to get rid then a swop like you did before on wagon might be a good option

hope you don,t get offended in what i said
Old 16 January 2015, 10:40 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thunder8
hope you don,t get offended in what i said
Not at all. tbh I have just about had enough of the poxy car now and may just run it in to the ground