Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speed cameras in Northampton

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2001, 09:49 PM
Pete...
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see that lots of you guys are from Northampton....

I'm a bit worried about the mobile speed cameras. They seem to be a video camera in the back of a van....does this mean my Bel 990 won't pick them up?

I went past one on Lumbertubs Way (A43) the other day at about 60mph, but I was driving my van and I haven't wired my Bel 990 or Geodysey into it it yet. F*ck....

Just getting paranoid cos I've got 6 points already and it could get scary soon.....
Old 08 May 2001, 09:54 PM
Dark Muppet
Scooby Regular

Northants camera locations are here
Old 08 May 2001, 09:56 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete

Not sure what the speed limit is down there...

but it really isn't worth speeding at all in Northampton now. They are literally everywhere. I see at least one on almost every journey I take now. It's ridiculous.

One GOOD thing is that the speeds people drive in Northampton has reduced without question, but...

I wonder what the stats on accidents are. I dare bet people are more interested in their speedo than the road ahead in many areas.

As for your concerns. You should hear within 2 weeks so there is not long to wait before you'll find out.

Cheers

Simon
Old 08 May 2001, 10:01 PM
N8THN
Scooby Regular

Go on to the Northhamptonshire police website it will tell you the days and times that the mobile cameras will be opperating. :-)

i think it is
Old 08 May 2001, 10:02 PM
N8THN
Scooby Regular

looks like they all got there before me Damn!!!!
Old 08 May 2001, 10:08 PM
Pete...
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the help lads.

I keep meaning to check the Police site more often, but it's one of those things you just don't get round to I guess.

The Geodysey is fine for gatso's I know, but obviously no use for mobile units. I wasn't sure what the Bel could make of them, but they both look like a waste of time.

The thing is it's the vans that caught me twice before - in the space of 2 weeks.

The limit there is 50mph - I've only just bought the van so I don't know how accurate the speedo is.

I guess I'll have to stick to the limit, but 50mph on an empty dual carriageway is hard work....
Old 08 May 2001, 10:10 PM
Steve Gibbins
Scooby Regular

Angry

Don't want to worry you Pete but a mate of mine 'got done' down there for doing 61MPH in a 50!

Sorry

Steve
Old 08 May 2001, 10:11 PM
Pete...
Scooby Newbie

Yeah that was where I got my first 3 points from. 62mph in a 50....

The 71mph in a 60 near Brackmills came 2 weeks later....
Old 10 May 2001, 10:24 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Morning
Being a huge fan of Northants police speeding policy this may help

IMHO

Northants Police currently have 7 'saftey camera' vans. Dk red and white - all are marked up with a sign which can easliy be read from 50 yds or so, Really handy being the 'guns' have a 600+ mtr range.
There has been a lot of controvrersy regarding these 'saftey camera vans' and their locations.
Northants Police claim that the main reason for having them is to reduce motorists speed and improve road saftey. The locals however are not happy.
They have been locating these vans in many places which appear purely to catch the motorist out and generate revinue. They have even hidden them from view. They do not always (hardly ever in fact) put them near schools, playgrounds and accident blackspots, just where they can nick the most motorists. Remember, up until recently the vans where unmarked - hardly a visible saftey orientated way of doing things - the more cynical might think they had a hidden adgenda.

It appears that nicking people for doing 78MPH (yes a chap i work with has been done recently) on the M1 is more of a priority than doing w@nkers driving past a school 20mph zone at 40 (est) i was doing 20-22 and he was pulling away from me at a rate of knots (yes, i witnessed this recently and it was a BUS)

Anyway - the locals have been up in arms at the councils new 'Tax' - and the upshot is that the cameras are being concentrated on the main drags through Northants. M1, A45,A43, etc and the focus has moved from nicking locals to people passing through the county. i believe the ratio is now 70/30 no- local/local.

Local radio 96.6FM and the Northants Police site have daily updates on the locations of the cameras which just goes to show that the Police and council have had to change from being sneaky and underhand (unmarked vans & no warning of the whereabouts) to a more upfront approach - This change has been forced on them rather than due to their own sense of fairness and strangely the way the vehicles are referred to has changed from speed camera vehicles top saftey camera vehicles. spin, spin. I get the impression that alienating the majoriity of otherwise law abiding & tax paying citizens is political suicide has finally sunk in. The govenment/local government make the laws and the Police enforce them - (sorry for stating the obvoius)they both want and more importantly need us on their side.

As a rule of thumb - do not speed through Northants with 7 vans and the fact that they constantly change locations during the day you cannot be sure where they are.

For my part i do not condone speeding in built up or residential areas and i drive based on the conditons. I do like to put my foot down from time to time - roads/traffic and weather permitting - just not in Northants.

Shame there are not 'saftey vans' out there checking tyres, MOT's, brakes, vehicle condition, emmissions and insurance. With the power to impound and or dispose of offending vehicles. That would be a major step foward in road saftey.

No wonder track days are one of the fastest growing forms of recreation in the UK - no bad thing in itsef mind you.

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 10 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 10 May 2001).]
Old 10 May 2001, 02:04 PM
networx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The Speed Camera's in Northampton use video still image rather than moving video (similar to a Gatso camera, but portable) it uses Ku band to detect your speed
Ku bands dose not feature on all detectors it is on the Beltronics Target Euro 550.

There is a group buy, going on right now you will get it for £320.00 all in

see
Old 10 May 2001, 02:16 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

After using the vans extensively on the A14 around Kettering, they have at last fitted fixed blue cameras both ways near the Kettering Park hotel.

Paul, interesting about the vans now being marked up. A couple of months ago we had one operating near my house.
It had its back doors open which meant you couldn't see what it was for. The Northants web site stated that they they were clearly visible which was B0llx and I told them.

nick
Old 10 May 2001, 02:26 PM
Dark Muppet
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by networx:
<B>The Speed Camera's in Northampton use video still image rather than moving video (similar to a Gatso camera, but portable) it uses Ku band to detect your speed
Ku bands dose not feature on all detectors it is on the Beltronics Target Euro 550.

There is a group buy, going on right now you will get it for £320.00 all in

see