ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Uk or JDM

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2015, 03:17 PM
Kentboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uk or JDM

Hi guys I'm new on here and would like some advice please!
A brief insight to my thinking....
Back in 1999 when the Impreza was in huge demand I decided I wanted one, I had 4 choices really. A new uk turbo 2000 which inc a couple of basic extras cost £24k! A 2nd hand 2yr old uk car with 30k miles for £16k or a brand new car from a friendly dealer in Holland! Jap imports were in the infancy and although there was a few around it was a very grey area back then with servicing/ parts etc etc. I opted for the new car from Holland which including all import taxes, ferry/ hotel/ fuel and the Cat 1 alarm i had to have installed in the Uk still cost me less than the 2nd hand car would have back in the Uk. The euro import came with a full Uk warranty and in full Uk spec all except for the alarm. I kept the car for 2 years and lost 2k on selling it which I was obviously really happy with considering I would have lost in excess of 8k on a uk bought car. 15 years later and I have now decided I want another scooby as a toy! We all have our own preferences I know and I like the blobeye shape car around the 2003-2005ish era and I would like an STI version of this model. My question is... The Jap or JDM market has grown massively since them early days and I have read from a lot of you guys the JDM cars are far superior to a Uk supplied car? I understand they have a different turbo and possibly this diff adjuster thing etc but they lack various other bits compared to a UK car? I would just like some honest feedback to pro's and cons of Uk against JDM cars. I'm looking to spend up to £10k but less if possible if that's any help. Many thanks in advance guys. Kentboy.
Old 24 February 2015, 03:30 PM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

I've only driven the JDM or UK hatch (2.5) and i think the JDm is better, felt more responsive, just a better driver, im sure my fellow JDM lovers will be along soon to convince you!
Old 24 February 2015, 03:35 PM
Kentboy
Scooby Newbie

Default Uk or JDM

Thanks ryanj
Old 24 February 2015, 04:12 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only downside to the JDM cars is the shorter 5th and 6th gears which on the motorway will see you around 3.5-4k rpm in 6th at around 80mph, Other than that there is no downside unless you want the burble that comes with the UK/euro cars due to the unequal manifold...the JDM one has an equal length on and sounds more like an evo
Old 24 February 2015, 04:25 PM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

Ive had my 5th and 6th made longer
Old 24 February 2015, 05:48 PM
Kentboy
Scooby Newbie

Default Uk or JDM

Thanks Pink Ninja and Ryan
Must admit part of the attraction to a Subaru is the exhaust note as its so distinctive compared to all other cars but has the equal manifold and twin scroll turbo got its advantages of the unequal setup?
Although I actually like the evo as a drivers car and a couple of friends have had them it's not a car for me as I've always find them ugly and the look like a child has designed them!
Suppose I need to look at a Uk and a JDM car, is it correct the JDM cars have stronger more reliable engines in them?
Thanks again for your help and advice guys.
Old 24 February 2015, 05:54 PM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

Aftermarket exhaust fixes the note, we have UK and jdm in the family and I prefer jdm. With regards to engine yes. JDM is fully forged from factory
Old 24 February 2015, 06:28 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the twinscroll and equal length headers have a power advantage over the UK cars, especially torque but this is also down to the turbo unit too, Not all JDM's are forged, After 2003(blob) the JDM's had a hyperuetectic cast piston which has more silicone in, still good for around 4-450 bhp so they are not crap, UK cars soon followed suit with the same pistons 😉
Old 24 February 2015, 08:51 PM
Kentboy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the insight between the two engine wise Ninja. A very nice Hatch you have bought too, I know the hatch is a little marmite to some but I love them personally. The new saloon they are selling at the moment looks terrible in comparison!
Thanks again for you help and honest advice.
Old 24 February 2015, 09:06 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had a few Subaru's bugs and blobs STI's and I now have a hawkeye spec c and I'm not going to be going back to a uk car after this.

Old 24 February 2015, 10:05 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanj1993
Aftermarket exhaust fixes the note
how does an aftermarket exhaust (on a JDM with equal length headers) make it sound like a UK (with unequal headers)?
Old 24 February 2015, 10:20 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Aftermarket exhaust fixes the note, we have UK and jdm in the family and I prefer jdm. With regards to engine yes. JDM is fully forged from factory
Don't think they are fully forged from factory.
Old 25 February 2015, 06:34 AM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBB3
Don't think they are fully forged from factory.
I stand corrected, heres some info i found:

JDM V8 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX EJ20 ENGINE

THE JDM V8 Subaru Impreza WRX EJ20 Turbo Engine (AVCS) is superior to its USDM cousin in several aspects. As usual, the USDM WRX receives an inferior engine based on the older V6 GC8 motor.

The JDM WRX EJ20 on the other hand received an engine with all the bells and whistles that one would expect of a high performance engine. While the 2.0 displacement remains the same, the JDM WRX features a bump in compression (8.0 -> 9.0), better pistons developed using new hyper-cast technology (such as in the USDM STI), more aggressive cam profiles, better head casting, and of course the all mighty AVCS.

For those who are not familiar with AVCS, AVCS is a control device on the intake cams of the engine. Using an oil based pressure system, the cam timing is either retarded or advanced to increase or decrease overlap. This type of overlap essentially helps to create a “perfect” camshaft, allowing maximum power output throughout the power band while also assisting in emissions cleanliness.

The bottom line is the JDM WRX engine (rated at 246HP compared to 227HP) is far superior to the USDM WRX engine, and is what the USDM engine should have been. The improvements significantly reduce the notorious turbo-lag associated with the USDM WRX, allow the JDM engine to respond better to aftermarket modification, and produce a higher power output.
Old 25 February 2015, 06:38 AM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
how does an aftermarket exhaust (on a JDM with equal length headers) make it sound like a UK (with unequal headers)?
Please watch, dont think it sounds far off, it actually sounds better!

Old 25 February 2015, 07:21 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

I stand corrected, heres some info i found:

JDM V8 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX EJ20 ENGINE

THE JDM V8 Subaru Impreza WRX EJ20 Turbo Engine (AVCS) is superior to its USDM cousin in several aspects. As usual, the USDM WRX receives an inferior engine based on the older V6 GC8 motor.

The JDM WRX EJ20 on the other hand received an engine with all the bells and whistles that one would expect of a high performance engine. While the 2.0 displacement remains the same, the JDM WRX features a bump in compression (8.0 -> 9.0), better pistons developed using new hyper-cast technology (such as in the USDM STI), more aggressive cam profiles, better head casting, and of course the all mighty AVCS.

For those who are not familiar with AVCS, AVCS is a control device on the intake cams of the engine. Using an oil based pressure system, the cam timing is either retarded or advanced to increase or decrease overlap. This type of overlap essentially helps to create a “perfect” camshaft, allowing maximum power output throughout the power band while also assisting in emissions cleanliness.

The bottom line is the JDM WRX engine (rated at 246HP compared to 227HP) is far superior to the USDM WRX engine, and is what the USDM engine should have been. The improvements significantly reduce the notorious turbo-lag associated with the USDM WRX, allow the JDM engine to respond better to aftermarket modification, and produce a higher power output.
Where did you copy that from?

Engines are stronger, different crank, larger ported heads and different cams. Also equal length headers and twinscroll turbo. Shorter gears and auto inter cooler spray, dccd from my03 also better instruments too but they are not forged.

Last edited by BBB3; 25 February 2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 25 February 2015, 07:31 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds sweet to me, not quite as burbly but you can hear it, still prefer the sound of my Type R with a full 3" Miltek though, glorious sound at any speed.
Old 25 February 2015, 07:33 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Engines are stronger, different crank, larger ported heads and different cams. Also equal length headers and twinscroll turbo. Shorter gears and auto inter cooler spray, dccd from my03 also better instruments too but they are not forged.
Probably Nasioc, and that's not talking about the STI it's a comparison between US And JDM WRX.
Old 25 February 2015, 08:00 AM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Probably Nasioc, and that's not talking about the STI it's a comparison between US And JDM WRX.
this^ was just a quick google search
Old 25 February 2015, 08:55 AM
Kentboy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys for all your input and advice concerning the two types of car. I've had a kind offer of a ride in a JDM not too far from me so reckon that's a good starting point. Thanks again guys.
Old 25 February 2015, 09:55 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The quote is for the JDM WRX engine and not the STi. The JDM WRX also came with the AVCS heads, inverted dampers, higher BHP alloy bonnet but un-equal length headers. I have one running a very nice 303 bhp courtesy of Bob Rawle.
Old 25 February 2015, 09:58 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

All the Blobs have an Alloy bonnet.
Old 25 February 2015, 02:05 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
The quote is for the JDM WRX engine and not the STi. The JDM WRX also came with the AVCS heads, inverted dampers, higher BHP alloy bonnet but un-equal length headers. I have one running a very nice 303 bhp courtesy of Bob Rawle.
Nice
Old 09 March 2020, 09:00 PM
ToJDMornottoJDM
Scooby Newbie

Default Hawkeye WRX JDM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Would you go with a Hawkeye WRX JDM over a UK 300 Blobeye?
Currently looking at two options both identical in price.

Many thanks
Dan
​​​​​​