ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Worth decatting with a td04?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2015, 07:43 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth decatting with a td04?

Am I likely to see any performance difference if I decat my Hawk WRX and remap with the standard td04? Or should I hang fire and up the turbo first - ta!
Old 25 February 2015, 08:22 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

yes sport cat and 2nd cat delete with a map will see a mighty good thump of torque for you.
Old 25 February 2015, 08:51 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

.....but if you're planning a turbo upgrade anyway then I'd hang on and get one map to suit all
Old 25 February 2015, 11:23 PM
beefoss
Scooby Regular

Yes. A performance panel filter, full 3 in decat and 255lph fuel pump saw me just under 290bhp on the same car. Improved the car tenfold.

Were lucky to already have 565cc injectors in ours.
Old 26 February 2015, 06:39 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Injectors make no difference on the TD04, it's the exhaust housing that means they struggle to go past around 290bhp.

Tbh I wouldn't bother spending £600 ish having it mapped unless I was changing the turbo for something worthwhile like a Billet hybrid TD04 or SC36 or VF34.

At your level for a little more go I'd just do a second cat delete, silicone Y pipe and flash the ECU with the PPP map, cost you around £100 total and you'll have a heathy increase for next to **** all.

I don't think the cash outlay is worth it for the extra 15/20bhp over PPP or the risk of putting it on the rollers, I know you can have it mapped for £300 ish by Joe Bloggs with a lap top but I'd only be letting one of the top mappers near my car so that means Ecutec, dyno time and then finished off on the road which is the best part of £800 after VAT, for the sake of maybe 20bhp ferk that.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 26 February 2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 26 February 2015, 08:39 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Injectors make no difference on the TD04, it's the exhaust housing that means they struggle to go past around 290bhp.

Tbh I wouldn't bother spending £600 ish having it mapped unless I was changing the turbo for something worthwhile like a Billet hybrid TD04 or SC36 or VF34.

At your level for a little more go I'd just do a second cat delete, silicone Y pipe and flash the ECU with the PPP map, cost you around £100 total and you'll have a heathy increase for next to **** all.

I don't think the cash outlay is worth it for the extra 15/20bhp over PPP or the risk of putting it on the rollers, I know you can have it mapped for £300 ish by Joe Bloggs with a lap top but I'd only be letting one of the top mappers near my car so that means Ecutec, dyno time and then finished off on the road which is the best part of £800 after VAT, for the sake of maybe 20bhp ferk that.

Hmm, do you mean uploading a PPP map with a tactrix or something?
Old 26 February 2015, 08:55 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Hmm, do you mean uploading a PPP map with a tactrix or something?
Yes, any of the lads in the mapping section would do it for next to nothing, takes 5/10 mins max.

I know the numbers are disputed @265bhp but there's no denying that it gives a healthy mid range torque punch over the standard 225bhp. If you find that it's not enough you've lost nothing in the interim period bar the time to go and meet someone that will flash it for you, and can still continue on the pro mapper route at a later date.

Cheapest bang for buck improvement that can be made to a standard Impreza and safe too, my own PPP wagon is on 113k and plenty quick enough for the road, besides I'd be more inclined to spend the £600 or so on brakes and handling it will make the car way faster in real terms on the road.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 26 February 2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 26 February 2015, 09:06 AM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

I'm already running a map from Pat, forged / 255 pump etc think I'm around 270 - 280 at the moment.

I'm guessing my TD04 is pretty much at its limit? maybe decat, VF-something then a remap!
Old 26 February 2015, 09:12 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

AH ok, well i'd say your pretty much maxed out at that, might squeeze another 10bhp out of it with just a de-cat, my next move would be turbo and de-cat.

Since your already using "Pat the Man" and the Clinic why don't you have a word and see what they recommend as a next step up, sure they'll be more than happy to have a chat.
Old 26 February 2015, 09:16 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Who does these PPP map reflashes for £100? Can't seem to find anyone.

I have a sports cat downpipe and then straight through system on my 05 WRX. Can get the intercooler Y Pipe ok but is a decat up necessary before running the PPP map?
Old 26 February 2015, 09:34 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Yes, any of the lads in the mapping section would do it for next to nothing, takes 5/10 mins max.

I know the numbers are disputed @265bhp but there's no denying that it gives a healthy mid range torque punch over the standard 225bhp. If you find that it's not enough you've lost nothing in the interim period bar the time to go and meet someone that will flash it for you, and can still continue on the pro mapper route at a later date.

Cheapest bang for buck improvement that can be made to a standard Impreza and safe too, my own PPP wagon is on 113k and plenty quick enough for the road, besides I'd be more inclined to spend the £600 or so on brakes and handling it will make the car way faster in real terms on the road.

Good stuff! a PPP vs a non-PPP must be a big difference

Like yourself, I think tuning any further than basically a PPP or simple remap with a td04 is pointless... I'm going to go as far as saying that almost any "ancillary" modification (larger zorst, air filters etc etc) would be a near complete waste of money.
Old 26 February 2015, 09:50 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Did you put a post up in the mapping subforum to see if anyone local has a tactrix cable and some free time?

I have a sports cat downpipe and then straight through system on my 05 WRX. Can get the intercooler Y Pipe ok but is a decat up necessary before running the PPP map?
The decat up is strongly recommended even on a standard car - if it decides to break up it will eat your turbo on the way through giving you a world of sad faces.

With the TD04 though try not to get bogged down in BHP figures - look at the torque you can make. It's not a high revving turbo but you can make some serious torque in the midrange with it and that's where it will work best. A bigger intercooler will give you a little more higher up in RPM but it's never going to be anything to write home about.
Old 26 February 2015, 01:30 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Go onto the mapping section and ask one of the lads in your area to do it for you, £100 was for the Y pipe and decat centre section.

Decat up pipe is not necessary unless your planning on going for RE-MAP NOT RE-FLASH PPP is a RE-FLASH

Just making it clear for others.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 26 February 2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 26 February 2015, 01:45 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Good stuff! a PPP vs a non-PPP must be a big difference

Like yourself, I think tuning any further than basically a PPP or simple remap with a td04 is pointless... I'm going to go as far as saying that almost any "ancillary" modification (larger zorst, air filters etc etc) would be a near complete waste of money.
As bludgod says above it's the Torque that it gives you need to look at More than an STI and sooner, peak torque is at something like 2600 rpm and holds it to circa 6300 rpm, it's not all about big BHP it's about when it comes in and where it holds it to.

I have no interest in hooning about the place at 3 figure speeds in my road car, I want a car that picks up and goes to about 90 and is responsive from 2300 rpm to 6k rpm, not interested in revving the **** off my car to get it to go anywhere then hitting the limiter in 2nd and 3rd and I'm not even doing 80mph

Oh and I agree it's a waste of money tuning on a bogo TD04, as I said in my earlier post it's money better spent on handling and brakes.

P.S I have done both pro re-map and PPP for me the difference in performance isn't worth the £££.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 26 February 2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 26 February 2015, 01:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Injectors wont need changing unless you going for some serious power, there aroun 550cc's on a hawk wrx.
Old 26 February 2015, 02:33 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

I guess there isn't a lot I can do in terms of performance without uprating the turbo then? Long term I will prolly go for an SC36 - 42 wondering if I can increase some efficiency somewhere to keep me happy while I save
Old 26 February 2015, 02:54 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mjharper
I guess there isn't a lot I can do in terms of performance without uprating the turbo then? Long term I will prolly go for an SC36 - 42 wondering if I can increase some efficiency somewhere to keep me happy while I save
Again to de-cat your up-pipe or full de-cat unless you DIY it's going to cost in the region of £300 quid including map tweak to get the benefit and that's just the up-pipe, you'll get ever so slightly quicker spool and 10bhp maybe 15bhp on top, there will be an improvement but it's still not really much bang for buck.

What other mods do you have handling and braking wise.

Something that people don't often realise is a Proper braking set up is worth around 50bhp and a good handling chassis about the same, which is why something like a Clio 172 or a Fiesta ST will be all over your **** in the twisties, whilst giving away 100bhp +
Old 26 February 2015, 03:19 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Currently have full set of KYB Ultra shocks + eibach springs, getting some mtec brakes and pads tomorrow (I know these aren't amazing but it's MOT time and my discs were low)

Also getting some super sport droplinks fitted as OEM are knocky. are uprated anti roll bars worth bothering with on a road car?
Old 26 February 2015, 03:38 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

i have the STI rollbars/lower arms/suspension in my bug and it has done it's job well i have to say.

oh also no uppipe cat for you to worry about, just the 2nd cat and the downpipe cat to worry about. PPP downpipes pop up on here and I'm sure you'll have your PM box blown to bits if you stick up a wanted post.

The silicone y pipe you can get off the 'bay and you'll be all set for a PPP or PPP styled map from someone.
Old 26 February 2015, 04:13 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mjharper
Currently have full set of KYB Ultra shocks + eibach springs, getting some mtec brakes and pads tomorrow (I know these aren't amazing but it's MOT time and my discs were low)

Also getting some super sport droplinks fitted as OEM are knocky. are uprated anti roll bars worth bothering with on a road car?
I went with poly bushes in the steering rack and front and rear roll bar as well, I also have a Cusco rear roll bar brace, Alloy rear drop links, Eibach camber bolts all round and PCA Dynamics springs, I'll be fitting Classic STI Alloy front wishbones as the next step to get 5/6 degrees of castor, then I'm done.

Brakes are AP 4pots up front standard 2pot rears.

Goes and stops and corners well enough for me now, over the next year or so (I'm in no rush) I'll be doing a 2.1 Stroker and billet hybrid TD04, AP clutch, exeddy flywheel and a few other bits and bobs as and when my clutch or engine let go, until then I'm just collecting parts and driving it.
Old 26 February 2015, 04:52 PM
casasteve
Scooby Regular

I currently have an 03/04 PPP WRX wagon which is pretty much stock. I managed to get hold of a PPP STI sports cat down pipe, which I'm planning to install at some point.

I've been told that I wouldn't need to re-map after doing this, but can anyone confirm that?
Old 26 February 2015, 04:55 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

casasteve - you'll just end up with wavey boost as the car over/under shoots the target due to reduced backpressure in the pipe.

getting the PPP map flashed is easy enough if you can bribe someone local to hook you up.

Ditch - that's some spec, are you planning to try and blow up the TD04 or was that a mistype?
Old 26 February 2015, 04:56 PM
casasteve
Scooby Regular

So I'd need to consider the STI PPP map or something? As I say, I have a WRX PPP at the mo
Old 26 February 2015, 04:58 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

if you have a WRX ppp why are you putting the PPP cat on a PPP car that will already have the PPP cat? that's some straight up X to the Z "y0 dawg" stuph right there...
Old 26 February 2015, 04:59 PM
casasteve
Scooby Regular

No, the WRX has a standard cat on the downpipe, the STI came with a sports cat. I believe that this was the main difference between the STI and WRX Prodrive pack (from the research I've done). I believe the WRX had the Y-pipe, ECU, back box and centre cat delete. The STI had all of that plus the Sports cat and I think maybe an up-pipe de-cat (although I can't remember if that's the case).

Last edited by casasteve; 26 February 2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 26 February 2015, 05:09 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by casasteve
No, the WRX has a standard cat on the downpipe, the STI came with a sports cat. I believe that this was the main difference between the STI and WRX Prodrive pack (from the research I've done). I believe the WRX had the Y-pipe, ECU, back box and centre cat delete. The STI had all of that plus the Sports cat and I think maybe an up-pipe de-cat (although I can't remember if that's the case).
Correct, but the STI gets a fuel pump too, STI's came with a de-cat up-pipe as standard.

You don't want the STI ppp map as that will be taking avcs heads into account as well as a vf35 turbo which you don't have.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 26 February 2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 26 February 2015, 05:12 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

... and also the different ECU type so it wouldn't flash on your car.

Had a wee look through the WRX PPP map there again to refresh my memory - should be grand with the sport downpipe on mr.
Old 26 February 2015, 05:19 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
casasteve - you'll just end up with wavey boost as the car over/under shoots the target due to reduced backpressure in the pipe.

getting the PPP map flashed is easy enough if you can bribe someone local to hook you up.

Ditch - that's some spec, are you planning to try and blow up the TD04 or was that a mistype?
No I like the TD04, it's a good little turbo for a road car and once billeted with a bigger exhaust housing it's good for 320bhp with supporting mods, mental spool, decent mid range and a bit more top end umph, but I'm not interested in top end, my days of doing 150mph+ are over.

Should be quite interesting with a 2.1L, I also like the 5 speed box so don't really want to over stress that or make it un useable day to day.

As Shaun would say "It's the area under the curve that counts"
Old 26 February 2015, 07:48 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

oh well we'll call that a special TD04 rather than lumping it with the regular TD04's - should give you plenty of torques !

Are you sticking with the stock 5 speed or something less destructible?
Old 27 February 2015, 07:29 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Plan is to stick with the 5 speed if it lets go I may put my Type R box in or see if I can find a Hawk Wrx box, I really don't want to have to go 6 speed partly due to cost, if I'm going to have shorter ratios I'd rather not have to shell out circa £2k for them hence the Type R box idea.

Anyway this is all way into the future hopefully as I'm a firm believer in "if it aint broke don't fix it"

Quick Reply: Worth decatting with a td04?