ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

To modify my car or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2015, 08:51 AM
scholesy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To modify my car or not?

Hi guys, I've reached the point where I've sorted everything on my late 2003 impreza sti blobeye, it's done 33,000 miles from new and apart from an aftermarket backbox is standard. I've got some external styling parts to fit and I'm looking at booking it in to have a performance pack fitted by Zen performance, but I'm having a crisis of conscience about modifying such a nice stock car.

Will I totally ruin the saleability and value if I modify it? I figure scoobynet regulars are probably the best to ask about car values, so thanks in advance!
Old 03 March 2015, 04:34 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a low mileage car, so would sit at the top of the price bracket for the car and would be in demand to some.

Tough call - do you plan on keeping it for a while? If so, then maybe its something to play with, if not, then it might be best not spending money on it, and affecting its resale value. But with some choice modifications, it might actually support its resale. Just dont go sticking chav cannons on it

For me, if I see an exhaust, remap by a good mapper etc, then Im happy with it. Its when you see dump valves, and overly lowered cars I avoid them.
Old 03 March 2015, 05:04 PM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

As long as you keep the original parts you can enjoy the mods and put it back to standard to sell it. Best of both worlds.
Old 03 March 2015, 05:08 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Standard is the new modding IMO
Old 03 March 2015, 06:34 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Don't do another thing to increase its power. A very slippery slope, ultimately an unusable road car. Put some nice suspension and brakes on it. It will be far more rewarding.
Old 04 March 2015, 11:30 AM
Matt_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lower it slightly on new suspension (standard suspension is a bit crap IMO), common fault is they knock after a while.

Godspeed brakes or something along those lines and then keep it standard.

Overly modified cars are disgusting.
Old 05 March 2015, 09:17 AM
scholesy
Scooby Newbie

mine is only the sti not the prodrive pack, I feel a bit left out without the extra power that I know is easily available with a map, I'm thinking of going down the mapping route and take it to a reputable mapper to aim for PPP levels of power, and keep standard bits that come off so they can be replaced.

Suspension wise I've had the grease nipple mod done so mine doesn't knock, and I like the ride height for the roads where I live, what suspension do you use Matt_STi?
Old 05 March 2015, 09:48 PM
Facian
Scooby Regular

I had the same dilemma (although mine isn't such low mileage) I didn't want to go crazy with it, but being a non-PPP I just want a sensible amount of extra power as it just feels like it can handle it/should have it!

In the end I've decided to do the 'first step' mods and have collected a fuel pump, cat back and actually caved and got a decat too, the plan being a nice safe 300-320bhp to pep it up a bit without going crazy or turning it into an ASBO wagon. I've kept all the standard parts and visually it's standard, only other mod is some Eibach springs which I must say do improve the ride and handling with a good alignment setup.

Haven't had the map yet (next month is the plan) but I'm looking forward to it, hoping it'll feel the same but just a bit more lively.
Old 06 March 2015, 08:14 AM
scholesy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the input, do the eibach springs lower the sti much?
Old 06 March 2015, 06:57 PM
Facian
Scooby Regular

Only around 10/15mm so not much, i have no issues with speed bumps/kerbs etc. and the ride is slightly more compliant than stock, but with less roll. Also aesthetically i prefer it now, as the factory arch gap made me wince...
Old 07 March 2015, 06:50 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If the car is mapped by someone with a good rep e.g. Andy Forrest, Bob Rawle etc. I don't think it would hurt the resale value at all.

As long as the service history is comprehensive and everything has been done properly, your car will still be worth top money to the genuine, knowledgeable enthusiast.
Old 07 March 2015, 07:04 PM
STI8Dave
Scooby Regular

Just a panel filter (K&N, Cosworth, Green) and map will make a noticeable difference and get you pretty close to PPP power.
Old 07 March 2015, 08:32 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A decent map, suspension setup and set of uprated brakes are all reversible mods and will massively improve your experience with the car.

I would also recommend fitting a quick rack too.
Old 08 March 2015, 12:33 PM
scholesy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys, sort of what I was hoping to hear, I'm at a point where I felt guilty wanting to modify it but I'm going to go for it now, going to use zen performance for the map, suspension wise I'm pretty happy and will have to live with the ride height as I don't fancy rock hard coilovers, think I'll look at braking next. By uprated brakes do you means discs and pads or a whole new caliper setup?
Old 08 March 2015, 06:50 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Either, but a nice set of APs or Alcons (etc) is the best way to do it.

Bear in mind for large discs you'll need at least 18" wheels to clear them.