Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Spec difference UK vs EU

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2002, 07:11 PM
nodin2000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I'm looking to get an MY02 STi. Drove one at local dealership....love it.
At Motorpoint in Derby they are advertising new STi's (imported) for £20999. Quite a saving on the dealeship prive of £27k+. But my dealer was telling me how the'non-UK' cars have different suspension set-ups etc and are not suited to UK roads/petrol/servicing etc.
Is this a load of bull?
Can someone impartial pls tell me what the differences would be between a UK STi and an imported STi.
Thanks
Old 08 June 2002, 07:15 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

You dealer is probably talking about JDM Spec cars (Japanese Domestic Market).

There is a thread located here mentioning Motorpoint.

Ian
Old 08 June 2002, 07:16 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

try have a look here.

http://www.iwoc.co.uk/jpnewage.html

C.
Old 08 June 2002, 07:20 PM
Vanker
Scooby Regular

I have a MY02 WRX which I bought via Snoop4cars.com which came from belgium this is a UK spec car & is the same as a UK model except it did not come with an alarm. They also do UK STI`s which are full UK spec from europe. I guess your dealer is getting confused. Hope this is of help.
Old 08 June 2002, 07:23 PM
nodin2000
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys. I was going to buy from motorpoint but sounds like I should steer well clear.
Old 08 June 2002, 07:34 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Imports are classed into 2 categories parallel import (sources from a European Subaru dealer but not a UK Subaru dealer) and grey import (not sourced from a European dealer or a UK Subaru dealer)

The grey imports ie outside the EU (mainly from Japan) are not covered by a Subaru Pan European warranty. These cars (like my own)normally have harder suspension and an ECU mapped to take higher quality fuel (100RON approx) and the cars dont come with an alarm and soemtimes underseal (both of which are easy to get sorted). Other issues with greys maybe be witht he new STI the new fornt diff wasnt fitted to the early cars I think ??. A new grey import car will require an SVA (single vehicle approval) only really applicable if you are importing it yourself rather than just buying from an importer.

A parallel car will be almost identical to a UK car except it will only have one years warranty backed by Subaru UK but depending on where you get it from that may be supplmented by an extra two years importers warranty. Some European countries liek Belgium and Holland offer longer warranties now but I am sure someone on here wioll tell you. The differences between a UK and Parallel are normally just no cat 1 alarm system but there have been cases where interior spec and goodies (like bucket seats).

The thing to do is find out where the car was made for if it was for a Japanese home market then it will be a grey. There seems to be a few coming in from Cyprus as well which I think would also NOT be classed as a parallel import and would be a grey import. If you buy a parallel import you need to inform Subaru UK immediately otherwise you wont have a warranty DONT wait until something breaks . Find a Euro friendly dealer and I am sure if you tell them you intend on pushing the servicing their way they may help .

I am sure if anyhting is wrong I will get corrected though.

Cheers

ChrisP
Old 08 June 2002, 07:41 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Typical no replies when I started just shows how fast my typing is

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2002, 07:53 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

General rule is to steer clear of Cyprus sourced cars, as UK dealers are reluctant to touch them for servicing, never mind warranty work. AFAIK, IM will not agree to register them for the UK warranty reciprocation, as they are not classed as originating from the EU.

Bought mine from Belgium, full UK spec (except for alarm and locking wheel nuts.....). Gives you chance to have a decent alarm installed by someone who knows what they are doing!
Old 08 June 2002, 11:44 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Chris, I was under the impression that a grey import is a car imported to this country that is not sold officially here (eg. new Integra Type R) and so even Japanese imported Impreza's are still called parallel imports...
Old 09 June 2002, 12:59 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but how can a Japanese domestic market Prezzie be a parallel, if it's not oficially imported over here? AFAIK, only EU models can be parallel imports, because they are identical to those versions sold in the UK.....
Old 09 June 2002, 01:07 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Motorpoint are 100% legit. There warranties are covered and honoured by Subaru dealers.

Jap ones are fast, but expensive. Get a Euro import for 21k and de-cat it. 290bhp - JOB DONE!!
Old 09 June 2002, 01:17 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Where do Motorpoint source from???
Old 09 June 2002, 10:30 AM
nodin2000
Scooby Newbie

Can anyone recommend the best places to get legit 'parallel' imports that my dealer will be happy servicing and a warranty that counts.
The best prices I had seen were Motorpoint at 20999 for an STi and 17699 from Trade Sales for a WRX
Old 09 June 2002, 01:40 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Try Litchfield Imports, the price will be a bit more than Motorpoint, but they are very helpful and have a good reputation. I believe that quite a few people have purchased there parallel imports through them.