ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1 or not P1 thats the question.

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2002, 11:31 PM
turbo wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having owned a classic Impreza Turbo (MY97) and now owning a MY01 WRX, I find myself on occasions missing the old motor. Even after investing in Morrettes & PPP, it still somehow doesn't feel the same. Anyway a P1 has caught my eye and my heart is saying go for it (£13k + my car), but my heads saying wait and see what the MY03 will offer. Will £13k buy me what I am craving for, or could it be my worst financial mistake ever!

My car is an Y reg import from Holland with 8k on the clock, the P1 also has 8k on the clock and also a Y reg on sale at £25k.
Old 08 June 2002, 11:39 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Thats steep depreciation on your WRX then - even if you got it dead cheap. Haggle.
Old 09 June 2002, 12:51 AM
importsti
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a crazy idea to me (with all due respect).
Go and test drive an STi V5 or V6.
You can sell your car and buy one of these and have cash left over.

I've had one for 18 months and think I made an excellent decision. P1 is great and if it was only slightly more expensive than an import, I would recommend it every time. The fact is that its usually about 5-7 grand more. That doesn't make sense when you change the suspension and wheels on the Sti V5 and get P1 capability.

Old 09 June 2002, 10:25 AM
turbo wrx
Scooby Regular

The thing that worries me with STI V5/6 is the lack of warranty, underseal, and dealer backup not to mention problems with 100 ron fuel and insurance. Especially if something major happens to the engine or bodywork, I have heard in the past about the lack of parts for the import special editions. This would be my main car to commute to work etc. so if the worst did happen I cannot afford to be without my motor for too long.
Old 09 June 2002, 10:32 AM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Personally I would wait and see what the MY03 STI has to offer. It can't be long before it breaks cover. With PPP and less of the bug eye look it should be an awesome machine.
Old 09 June 2002, 10:47 AM
turbo wrx
Scooby Regular

My nagging doubts on the MY03 would be the weight factor, and the flexibility of the engine. If the current STi is anything to go by it has 200kg+ (from memory) on the P1. The on/off acceleration at 3500/4000 revs must be a pain as well, I loved the whoosh of my old MY97 but I'm sure it was lower down the rev range than that. The constant gear changes to keep it above 4,000 revs must take the edge of the driving experience. With all this in mind my heart is saying go for the 25k P1 before all the good ones are gone. My head is saying you're too old for this and get some sort of French Diesel machine and pocket the change from my WRX for a well deserved holiday. Are there no P1 owners up this morning that will encourage my proposed purchase?
Old 09 June 2002, 11:22 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's a question of encouraging or discouraging you.

I love my P1 and, from a driving point of view, you wouldn't regret it. However, your question is as much about relative values, depreciation and your personal finances, and that's something only you can work out.

I don't think you'll see the last of the good P1's sold for a while yet, so maybe it would be sensible to wait until the '03 breaks cover. OK, it won't be as quick, but then again a P1 is too quick for our roads anyway IMHO.

Josh

Trending Topics

Old 09 June 2002, 11:29 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will save a packet by getting an STi5, get some underseal put on, buy it from a respected importer, and get a P1 or a custom map put on it. The only difference between the P1 and STi maps is that the knock sensor sensitivity is turned up a bit.
Old 09 June 2002, 12:53 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Without wishing to start up an old, and very boring, can of worms, there's just a wee bit more of difference between the STi and a P1.

However, I would have thought that changing your car again so quickly would be somewhat uneconomic. Personally, I'd wait to see what the '03 has to offer. There'll still be a good selection of P1s and STis out there, and the new model might even force a slight reduction in their price (although I hope not).

Of course you could mod you're existing car quite substantially, and still have change from 13k

Josh
Old 09 June 2002, 01:14 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Smile

Have you driven the P1 yet ?.......that should make up your mind - it did for us !

Superb.
Old 10 June 2002, 09:31 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Smile

same as andrew said, go and drive the p1, i did and swapped my 97 for it a week later
mark