ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2016, 01:51 PM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

Just got round to posting on here, I'm a happy new owner (3 weeks) of a WR blue 2006 Hawkeye STi Type UK. It is in reasonable condition with 73k miles on the clock. Needed a family car to replace the very good and reliable BMW, other thing I needed was ISO fix for the little one. Always wanted an Impreza since the classic came out and now I can drive around with smile on my face again since the 330D estate was a bit boring. Car get lots of attention but I'm used to that with my past history of cars. I wanted to get a unmodified one but they are so rare, so this one has a few minor mods.

From what I can tell it has a the Prodrive PFF7 18" wheels, can't quite tell if it's British Pewter or Flitter colour though.

A Forge dump valve of some sort, new to me, which sounds really nice for now but I might get bored of it.

Prodrive exhaust from cat back, love the off beat rumble, so different to my old Cayman987S with the PSE. It's not too loud either which is perfect as it's still a family car.

BC coilovers which offer good body control but are a harsh over anything but smooth roads. I need it to be more compliant as my little one naps a lot in the car and it is my only car. I am a little bias as you may have noticed I'm using the MeisterR user name to post this. This is my personal car and nothing to do with MeisterR but didn't want to start a new user profile so people know where my back ground is from. I'll keep on driving this for another week or so before I switch over to some MeisterR ZetaCRD+. I'll report back with my thoughts.

I've already fixed the boot release issue thanks to the posts on this forum. Who would have thought it has a cancel lever for the boot release!!!
Also plenty of WD40 helped release the locking mechanism, now my keys work too! Cheapest fix ever!!

I do have the what seems common fuel smell in the cabin though, which I'm taking to Slowboy Racing in Kent. Who will hopefully will sort it out for me.

I'll be reading plenty more general threads on here now. As I'm sure there is plenty of other things that need fixing on a 10 year old car.

Looking to replace the driver seat rails as they are a bit rusty is there a how to guide on here? Where is the best place to purchase some?

Here's a pic of the car, thanks for reading.

Edwin
(Note to mods, I hope there are no issues with me posting private thoughts using our MeisterR username, let me know otherwise)

Last edited by MeisterR; 20 April 2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06 April 2016, 03:32 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Lovely!
Old 06 April 2016, 03:53 PM
Wouldie
Scooby Regular

Welcome. Nice car. I look forward to your thoughts on the Meister R Zeta CRD+ coilovers as running on BC Coilovers at the mo and completely agree with your assessment on them.
Old 06 April 2016, 04:27 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

Very nice, and welcome.
Old 07 April 2016, 01:17 PM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wouldie
Welcome. Nice car. I look forward to your thoughts on the Meister R Zeta CRD+ coilovers as running on BC Coilovers at the mo and completely agree with your assessment on them.
Yes looking to fit some in a week or two but need to find a place (south London) to get the alignment sorted after.

Last edited by MeisterR; 22 April 2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07 April 2016, 01:23 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Wouldie
Subscribed

Also looking for a bc alternative for a daily

Nice car
Siv
Old 07 April 2016, 02:10 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Might be interested in a set of Hawk WRX compatible Meister shocks for my Forester STI eventually. So long as it won't completely kill it as it's my daily use road car for taking the kids to nursery!
Old 20 April 2016, 05:16 PM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

Update: MeisterR ZetaCRD+ fitted last week by Neil at Slowboy Racing, he was very informative and pleasant to speak to. I got the ride height raised, set to about 15mm lower than standard (or about 30mm from what it was in the photo above), as it was just too low to be practical and too many speed bumps on my local roads. I'll get a photo up when I get the chance. Initial damper settings are 28 of 32 clicks from hard just to bed them in a bit. Much better then the BC's they replaced and it turns out the springs rates are also the same at 6kg/mm front and 5kg/mm rear.

On the BC's they were much harsher over bumps and broken tarmac, much like a lot of people seem to report across the forums actually. The ZetaCRD+ seem to cushion the initial bump much better, though these are still performance coilovers to keep things in perspective. Certainly my wife noticed the change immediately which is always a good thing as its our only car. I need to try the harder settings when I get the alignment sorted tomorrow hopefully. Then I can see how they perform when pushed on a little bit on the A and B roads.

Still need to go back to Neil as we ran out of time to get the smell issue sort. Neil says the smell I'm getting through the vents is breather vapours from the engine. So not fuel as I first reported, at least he will know where to look.

Thanks for reading.

Edwin
Old 28 April 2016, 03:14 PM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

Update3: Had the ZetaCRD+ coilovers setup properly, height changed again and then alignment sorted. I've now got it sat at only 6mm lower then OEM 380mm front and 360mm rear. Those are the figures I've researched so hopefully correct. Measurement from wheel arch to centre of the wheel. The reason for the height change is speed humps, there are far too many in my area and multi-storey car parks.

There were some seizes nuts on the toe adjustment and the bush may be stuck so I had little adjustment available there. This was done only a few days ago but can already feel the difference from the very off settings after the new coilovers were fitted. Pulls and brakes straight and the cornering, whilst I have not driven to fast yet, feel is much more precise and direct. I have no experience with settings so it is set somewhere between a "FRSU" and stock. I use the car daily so did not want it too aggressive. I'll have to drive it more to see if its what I want.

Also had to update the OEM stereo as the CD player wasn't working and it was a good excuse to get a modern unit with phone connectivity and mp3 player etc. Initially thought about changing to a single din with a cubby hole for that extra storage space. However the double din just fits so much better into the original space, so got a local mobile fitter to supply and fit a Kenwood DPX-7000DAB. Note to anyone else thinking about the same, the DPX406DAB is the old model so don't let anyone sell you old stock (like another supplier tried) unless you get a discount. Nothing fancy so no touch screen or sat-nav/dvd just easy to use which fitted perfectly into my requirements. The sound is so much better now it is amazing how much crisper the sound is even on the 10 year old OEM speakers.

I'm now considering new speakers and maybe Dynamat sound proofing the doors. The fitter said it makes a huge difference in sound quality and potentially improve the road/cabin noise. Anyone had any experience in their cars of sound proofing?

Again thanks for reading.

Edwin
Old 29 April 2016, 08:50 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MeisterR
I'm now considering new speakers and maybe Dynamat sound proofing the doors. The fitter said it makes a huge difference in sound quality and potentially improve the road/cabin noise. Anyone had any experience in their cars of sound proofing?

Again thanks for reading.

Edwin
Silent coat is a great product and i think a little cheaper than Dynomat, does make a huge difference.