Car Wrapping - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2016, 01:32 PM
scout1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wrapping - Opinions Please

Hi All

I have decided I am going to hang on to my s202 for a while.

I have been toying with the idea of a re-spray. Its reached that stage in its life when it could probably do with one, although I am conscious of the potential astronomical costs of getting it done "right".

Just recently I have been looking at car wrapping. Has any one had theirs done? There are two small dimples (one on the bonnet and one of the drivers door) that I think I would need to get pulled out before hand. I was also slightly concerned about removing the wrap in the future in that will it strip off the paint work (the s202 has less layers of paint applied, as I understand it).

I have heard some people say that resprays can devalue the car (?). That being correct, would that still apply in the case of a wrap?

Any one willing to share their experiences of car wrapping or their thoughts generally......
Old 18 August 2016, 02:26 PM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Imo it would be a shame to wrap something like an s202 although I can appreciate it's a lot cheaper than a good respray. A bad respray would certainly lower the resale value as would a vinyl wrap. Might be worth getting some quotes of some recommend sprayers and make your decision then. Atb
Old 18 August 2016, 03:05 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

decent wrap is over a grand, my mate had his gtr done it lasted about 3 years before looking tired. He then peeled it off and sold the car with immaculate paint underneath in comparison to another car with 70k on the clock
Old 18 August 2016, 04:31 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Do it "right" first time round bud or leave it it's an s202 if kept genuine will keep its value regardless of a few chips and scratches wear and tear, unless the arches need doing get it done properly unless you really want to wrap it then it's your car and your choice
Old 18 August 2016, 05:39 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 257 Likes on 223 Posts

Samehere. Wouldn't bother, don't see the point in wrapping your car. Only reason I would if I was rich and just fancied a colour change for a few months. Or preserve mint paint work.

But to be honest I'd rather pay out for a respray.
Old 19 August 2016, 10:00 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

a mate had his type r wrapped and looked really nice....easy to clean and protected the paintwork underneath
Old 19 August 2016, 05:15 PM
scout1982
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input guys - appreciated and valued.

After looking into it in more detail, to get it wrapped all around in a colour I would want would not be that far off a full respray, especially when you consider it will probably need a re-wrap in a few years.

Talking of arches, one does need doing. What are the options in terms of dealing with that issue (its pretty minor at present but obvs don't want it getting worse)?? Someone has suggested getting the prob bit cut out and ABW arches put on, although this would mean having to put wheel spaces in to fill the arches. Someone else in passing mentioned just getting it 'dealt with' although wasn't too sure precisely if he meant just cut out filled and repainted.
Old 19 August 2016, 05:39 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by scout1982
Thanks for your input guys - appreciated and valued.

After looking into it in more detail, to get it wrapped all around in a colour I would want would not be that far off a full respray, especially when you consider it will probably need a re-wrap in a few years.

Talking of arches, one does need doing. What are the options in terms of dealing with that issue (its pretty minor at present but obvs don't want it getting worse)?? Someone has suggested getting the prob bit cut out and ABW arches put on, although this would mean having to put wheel spaces in to fill the arches. Someone else in passing mentioned just getting it 'dealt with' although wasn't too sure precisely if he meant just cut out filled and repainted.

Abw arches do look monstrous but that would certainly devalue your car for sure as it is a limited edition and should be left genuine IMO as far as the arches go they are always worse behind places where you can't see and thinks it's only surface rust I would personally tAke it to a reputable bodyshop and give it a once over with the bumpers and inner arches etc off or just drive it and when selling price it accordingly, you always have a choice my freind on how you want to deal with it your car your choice but with a s202 its all about genuinity
Old 19 August 2016, 09:10 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

^ this! don't do it! It would be like getting someone thats a bit handy with a paint brush to put a pair of 38DD knockers on the Mona Lisa.

Well . . . not quite but you get my drift.
Old 19 August 2016, 11:54 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

only one guy I would touch my car when it comes to wrapping.. hence he did my roof wrap

http://pwpro.co.uk/vinyl-wrapping

pay cheap buy twice.. as they say.

get it done right!!