Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2017, 12:03 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DRIVING TEST CHANGES . . .

As for tests held from today, 4th...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...-december-2017

A heads up for those of you who might have friends/relatives with an upcoming test. Get them briefed lol.

Last edited by joz8968; 04 December 2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04 December 2017, 07:30 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And still no option for power slides/drifting capabilities
Old 04 December 2017, 08:56 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

lol

If a Pass, then they should allow the candidate to perform celebratory donuts back at the test centre

I do find it curious that they're sacking off the 'much loved' reversing round corner and '3-point' turn.

Last edited by joz8968; 04 December 2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04 December 2017, 09:27 PM
DTB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not really what this thread is about but.....I think that people who don't actually drive after passing should have their license taken away (although I don't know how that would be policed).

A couple of my daughter's friends have passed their test and then not driven at all since. That's more than a year ago. Knowing the cretins concerned, there is no way they will think of taking some refresher lessons before getting behind the wheel - one day they will just buy a car and, legally, just drive off. Frightening prospect.
Old 04 December 2017, 09:35 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

No argument here.
Old 05 December 2017, 06:21 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Being dumbed down, then...designed by a woman now?
Old 05 December 2017, 06:49 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 647 Likes on 473 Posts

As well as losing the 3 point turn and reversing round a corner, 2 manoeuvres essential to learn clutch control, crossing over through oncoming traffic to the opposite side and then reversing 2 car lengths is now included ; a manoeuvre that the highway code recommends to avoid, and is illegal in many countries.
Old 05 December 2017, 06:56 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DTB
I know it's not really what this thread is about but.....I think that people who don't actually drive after passing should have their license taken away (although I don't know how that would be policed).

A couple of my daughter's friends have passed their test and then not driven at all since. That's more than a year ago. Knowing the cretins concerned, there is no way they will think of taking some refresher lessons before getting behind the wheel - one day they will just buy a car and, legally, just drive off. Frightening prospect.
So because your daughter's friends are cretins, young people like my son who can't afford to run a car whilst at university, or anywhere else for that matter, should lose their licence?
There are plenty of people on here who would struggle to pass the new test; are you going to retake it?
Old 05 December 2017, 09:35 AM
DTB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
So because your daughter's friends are cretins, young people like my son who can't afford to run a car whilst at university, or anywhere else for that matter, should lose their licence?
There are plenty of people on here who would struggle to pass the new test; are you going to retake it?
I'm fairly sure most people would agree that driving unaccompanied after passing a test is a very steep learning curve. Anyone, young or old, who passes their driving test then does not put their newly found skills into practice for a long period of time should be required to take refresher lessons before driving or lose their license - in the interests of their and other road users safety. I'm not having a dig at your son because he can't afford a car just now...

As for me - a requirement of my job is the advanced driving test and rural driving awareness refresher courses every couple of years so, yes, I think I would pass the new driving test.
Old 06 December 2017, 08:02 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

I guess it's a fair point if they take a test, and then don't drive at all, and no doubt you would pass. But a hell of alot of people can't even tell the stopping distance at 70, let alone use a slip road or have lane discipline.
Old 06 December 2017, 08:22 AM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

After a long time i've had to do a 'school run'. Now theres some people who could do with refreshing their driving skills !
Old 06 December 2017, 04:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

See my post last week! Appalling selfish driving...and mostly women, who get VERY aggressive if criticised, or caught out.