Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Would you consider a remote kill switch?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2018, 01:55 PM
iMook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you consider a remote kill switch?

I work in the commercial vehicle security industry and I thought I would ask on here, because there's some valuable toys that people would rather weren't nicked.

Just to be clear, this is NOT a sales pitch - I just want to gauge people's gut feel.

We've been approached by a new manufacturer who have a security widget which you can install and ringfence your vehicle. If you're away from it and it moves, you get an in-app message on your iPhone/Android phone and you can then go into app and activate the kill switch. This will turn off the engine if the vehicle is travelling at less than 6kph (i.e. approaching a junction, pulled into a car park etc.).

Would you consider fitting one of these to your Scooby and if not, why not? If you would, how much do you think the unit should cost and what monthly or annual subscription would you be prepared to pay? By way of example, a Cat5 tracker typically costs £12-20 a month (unless you pay annually or for a vehicle lifetime) for the subscription.

Thanks in advance
Old 18 January 2018, 02:09 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

High performance car company’s locally allready use this method pretty effective for them as they can keep an eye on there cars and turn them off at there discretion if being abused

I’d personally not want any ****** to take my pride and joy in the first place
If taken I wouldn’t want it back alittle like taking your bird back after she’s slept with some other so Defo not for me

My method is off road parking,battery terminals off , locked behind secure fencing with a cover on it this gives me piece of mind
Old 18 January 2018, 02:25 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 497 Likes on 339 Posts

I kinda feel the same as zany, if stolen I would sooner have the pay out as they would probably thrash it to death. Only way I would be interested would be if it could turn the engine off itself if it went a certain distance from me, that way I know they wouldn't have chance to thrash it. Obviously that means carrying around something so it knows where you are to set the perimeter.

Say it got stole from my driveway and I'm asleep, I would want the engine cut automatically within 50 yards from my house.
Old 18 January 2018, 02:58 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

They would have to tow mine away if they wanted to steal it so engine kill would be no use.
I think spending money on making sure it can't be started and driven would be money better spent.
Old 18 January 2018, 03:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Q. Would you consider fitting one of these to your Scooby and if not, why not?

A. I would but as soon as technology is created, someone finds a work around.

Q. If you would, how much do you think the unit should cost and what monthly or annual subscription would you be prepared to pay?

A. I can control my gas, electric lights etc from my phone if I wanted. It costs me nothing. I can buy a Wi-Fi security camera for less than £20 that sends motion alerts, will record video and provide live sound or talk back.

Q. By way of example, a Cat5 tracker typically costs £12-20 a month (unless you pay annually or for a vehicle lifetime) for the subscription.

A. A mute point because the Tracker Systems are proven tech with history. It would be hard to apply the same parameters/costs to an unknown item.

An old fashion mechanical deterent seems to be the way ahead. I lock down my electric garage door with a high tensile steel pad lock, switch off the electricity at the consumer unit in the house and I have the wi-fi camera in the garage too. The car is normally empty anyway :-)
Old 18 January 2018, 04:04 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you have a syvecs ECU and Cal switch you wouldn't need anything else, just programme a 0 fuel start map and set it to one position on the Cal switch then the car won't start. The pump will prime and it will turn over but not start. It wil appear that the car is broken and not immobilised.
Old 18 January 2018, 04:13 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 497 Likes on 339 Posts

could you not wire the pump to a switch thats hidden, perhaps under the dashboard? im sure a mate did that to his old cavalier turbo years back
Old 18 January 2018, 11:21 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the amazon gps trackers that does all of the above with no subscription using a pay as you go sim. It has the option of either killing the engine or isolating the fuel pump remotely.
I'm going to use the fuel pump option. The only time I would pay a sub is if the insurance co insisted.
At this price you can't go wrong

GPS Car Tracker with GPRS and Vehicle Theft Protection System (Model:TK103A)
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by edsel; 19 January 2018 at 10:28 AM.