ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

OBP 3 port catch cans

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2018, 11:31 PM
David__H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBP 3 port catch cans

I'm looking to fit a 3 port catch can to my Hawk Sti. Having done some research there are a few people on Scoobynet who've gone with the 3 port can produced by OBP:

http://www.obpltd.com/SUBARU-Baffled...ter_name=catch tank&page=2

It's a 1 litre can so pretty big. The newage cars don't have much room for catch cans, especially if retaining the TMIC. Just wondering if anyone using the OBP can could provide info on how they fitted it, perhaps a pic or 2?

Incidentally, I notice that the inlet spigots are 15mm, but the breather pipes are 12mm ID. Will they fit these spigots okay?

Thanks
Old 26 February 2018, 12:39 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a thread on the technical board with a few good links. I think the OP on that thread was installing on a hawk sti too.
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...mp-return.html
Old 26 February 2018, 01:29 PM
David__H
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
There is a thread on the technical board with a few good links. I think the OP on that thread was installing on a hawk sti too.
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...mp-return.html

That's a custom made catch can.
Old 26 February 2018, 01:38 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David__H
That's a custom made catch can.
True , but based on a standard offering from ellis fabrication.
All the other issues about fitment are discussed in there.
Old 26 February 2018, 06:06 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a Mocal catch can in my Hawk STi, it fitted perfectly where my secondary air pump was after it got deleted.

Different shape to the one you're after.
Here's mine, and sits under the air con rubber hose.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...luminium-m-ct3
Old 26 February 2018, 06:24 PM
David__H
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
I have a Mocal catch can in my Hawk STi, it fitted perfectly where my secondary air pump was after it got deleted.

Different shape to the one you're after.
Here's mine, and sits under the air con rubber hose.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...luminium-m-ct3
Thanks, yeah I saw that in another thread somewhere. All the Mocal cans only seem to have 2 ports though. Incidentally, I notice it appears to vent through the cap. Do you not get a smell in the cabin from it?
Old 27 February 2018, 06:08 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Yes it's vented through the cap, and I do get a smell occasionally, nothing too bad.
It's either from that, or, my turbo drain to sump line is a bit damp with oil, so perhaps a whiff comes from that sometimes.
Welcome to pop over to Aldershot one night and have a look at how it's plumbed in etc if you need to.

My can has never really caught anything though. Just vapour I think. Slight oily residue in the can, but after over a year in the car, it's pretty much caught nothing.

If you take the cap off, you do get a ring of oil there from where it's been venting, wipes clean off in seconds.

I've often wondered though, if a can catches loads of oil, then perhaps there's a problem?

I got mine fitted as was getting smoke on cold start up....after forged build and map just over two years ago. It's where oil gets into the TMIC, then overnight goes through the throttle body and into the inlets. Pretty common I'd say after increased BHP etc.

Fitting the can stopped that overnight. I could say that my can is more of a vent tool than a catch can.....sort of.
I expected to be emptying it once every two / three months, but never had to, not once.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 27 February 2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 27 February 2018, 06:25 PM
David__H
Scooby Regular

Yes it's vented through the cap, and I do get a smell occasionally, nothing too bad.
It's either from that, or, my turbo drain to sump line is a bit damp with oil, so perhaps a whiff comes from that sometimes.
Welcome to pop over to Aldershot one night and have a look at how it's plumbed in etc if you need to.

My can has never really caught anything though. Just vapour I think. Slight oily residue in the can, but after over a year in the car, it's pretty much caught nothing.

If you take the cap off, you do get a ring of oil there from where it's been venting, wipes clean off in seconds.

I've often wondered though, if a can catches loads of oil, then perhaps there's a problem?

I got mine fitted as was getting smoke on cold start up....after forged build and map just over two years ago. It's where oil gets into the TMIC, then overnight goes through the throttle body and into the inlets. Pretty common I'd say after increased BHP etc.

Fitting the can stopped that overnight. I could say that my can is more of a vent tool than a catch can.....sort of.
I expected to be emptying it once every two / three months, but never had to, not once.
I understand the forged engine cars running more power do have more blowby. Mine goes through a litre of oil in less than 1500 miles. Plus I sometimes get blue smoke on start up so I know it just dumped crap into the intake manifold. Interesting you don't need to empty yours. Mind you, if you aren't connecting back to the intake or PCV valve, then you no longer have a vacuum to draw out the gases out of the heads or crankcase. I'm keen to retain that feature, so vent to atmosphere is not for me.
Old 28 February 2018, 02:27 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an OBP 3 port catch can on my blob wagon, had it fitted on the bulkhead, passenger side, as that was really the only bit of space.
Old 28 February 2018, 06:03 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David__H
I understand the forged engine cars running more power do have more blowby. Mine goes through a litre of oil in less than 1500 miles. Plus I sometimes get blue smoke on start up so I know it just dumped crap into the intake manifold. Interesting you don't need to empty yours. Mind you, if you aren't connecting back to the intake or PCV valve, then you no longer have a vacuum to draw out the gases out of the heads or crankcase. I'm keen to retain that feature, so vent to atmosphere is not for me.

Yes, that's my set up. The PCV is blocked off, and any access for breathers into the Samco inlet hose I have are blocked off too.

I don't fully understand how it's plumbed in, just hope it's not causing any problems further down the line......

I may put up some pics and ask!
Old 28 February 2018, 06:27 PM
David__H
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's my set up. The PCV is blocked off, and any access for breathers into the Samco inlet hose I have are blocked off too.

I don't fully understand how it's plumbed in, just hope it's not causing any problems further down the line......

I may put up some pics and ask!
Have a look on the technical board. There's a good thread on there folowing research I've recently done. Others have chipped-in. The post-combustion gases are best not left in the crankcase or heads since they are mildly corrosive, hence why "positive" crankcase ventilation is a good idea. It's just s shame the mess gets dumped back into the intake and cylinders!
Old 28 February 2018, 06:27 PM
David__H
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boggissimo
I have an OBP 3 port catch can on my blob wagon, had it fitted on the bulkhead, passenger side, as that was really the only bit of space.
Right. I think I'll order one.
Old 28 February 2018, 06:59 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

I have a cdf racing one here brand new if that is of interest
Old 28 February 2018, 07:51 PM
David__H
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark10sti
I have a cdf racing one here brand new if that is of interest
The one on their site looks like it's only a twin inlet with a VTA breather.
Old 28 February 2018, 08:51 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Mines a 3 port
Old 28 February 2018, 09:09 PM
David__H
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark10sti
Mines a 3 port
PM me a pic or 2 fella.