Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Thinking of selling my car...... well maybe.

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2018, 09:35 AM
Boostin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling my car...... well maybe.

Morning all.

Right so I've had my impreza since 2003. Bought it 100% standard, its a 97 turbo 2000 in reddish blue, only got a few bits on it clear indicators, panel filter, snorkel delete, Apexi N1 exhaust, whiteline rear ARB and solid drop links, Godspeed discs and pads and braided lines. I always wanted one and finally bought one. I have loved it for all these years gone by and still do. It is in really nice condition.

BUT......im feeling the need to do some track driving. I've done a couple in my car, it's been great fun but I'm scared of damaging it or someone crashing into it. I feel it's a shame to track it as it's so clean and tidy.

I'm thinking of selling it and buying a cheap track car and any money left over will pay for some trackdays.

I'm thinking of a mk1 mx5, yeah I know they are slower than milk floats but my friend bought one last year for the track and it was very impressive. I'm thinking of getting a turbo one if possible so it would be alot faster than a NA one. Or a starlet GT Turbo. But I think I'd rather have a rwd car next as I could do the odd drift day then.

Just can't seem to make my mind up about it. I want a car that I'm not really bothered about but is fun on track.

Don't want to sell it and regret it for years to come but then again I want to try other cars and not have the same car forever. Another reason is I'm thinking if I sell it and it shoots up in value of be well gutted.

Has anyone else been in this kind of situation before ? Any advice ? I know it's abit daft as it's only a car like but you know how attached you get to your toys

Sorry for the long post.
Old 10 June 2018, 04:50 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

I've thought about selling my 1998 Impreza also in reddish blue. But I do like it and it's best colour Impreza in my opinion. What miles has yours done?

Wouldn't take mine on a track though. Why not just keep it and buy a clio 172 cheap as chips. You can get them track ready for £500.
Old 10 June 2018, 05:05 PM
Boostin
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.
yeah I love the reddish blue colour. Mines done 101k now. I'm the 2nd owner. It's amazing on the track but just scary incase someone hits it.

Yeah I've thought of the hot clios but not really a fan of French cars. I'm a Jap car fan really. And would prefer rwd. Do you think the turbo 2000's will go much higher in value in the next few years or so ?
Old 10 June 2018, 05:49 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Same time I’ve had my classic and there’s no way I’m selling that after all these years.

Can you not lay it up and buy a cheap MX5, rather than sell it?

On values over the next few years... IMO, unless it’s mint and rust free it’ll not do much. Still a lot of UK cars out there that need to die off. Desirable colour though.
Old 10 June 2018, 06:33 PM
Boostin
Scooby Regular

Id love to keep it and just buy another toy but I'd need the cash from the sale of the impreza to buy the track car. Trust me if I could have both I'd never sell it.

It's just that I want to do trackdays now and I'm thinking if I keep mine it will probably stop me from doing em. And if it's just gonna stay a road car , well I've done 15 years of that now.

I have considered tuning the impreza a little bit , just to keep me interested in it. Only coilovers (or lowering springs) and a front mount, maybe a remap (with one of them esl daughter boards). Then it might keep me going for a few years more. But then I think would it be ok being tuned at that mileage?

Decisions decisions
Old 10 June 2018, 07:56 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

I think they will go up in next few years. But not enough to make you cry. And would have to be in nice condition.

I use mine as a 2nd/3rd car. If your not attached to the car sell it. But remember the chances of you coming back to the fold in 5 years would be slim. Time flys before you know it they will be massively over priced and out of your reach.

Sure you can remap it. Will add more stress to engine. Or you could fit the prodrive package. That should knock it up to 240bhp some say they got 260 not sure if true.

Originally Posted by Boostin
Id love to keep it and just buy another toy but I'd need the cash from the sale of the impreza to buy the track car. Trust me if I could have both I'd never sell it.

It's just that I want to do trackdays now and I'm thinking if I keep mine it will probably stop me from doing em. And if it's just gonna stay a road car , well I've done 15 years of that now.

I have considered tuning the impreza a little bit , just to keep me interested in it. Only coilovers (or lowering springs) and a front mount, maybe a remap (with one of them esl daughter boards). Then it might keep me going for a few years more. But then I think would it be ok being tuned at that mileage?

Decisions decisions