Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Call for help - Car Has Died, Where to Start ??

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2019, 11:11 PM
JoeB
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Call for help - Car Has Died, Where to Start ??

Evening all, Ill start from the top in case some details help identify the issue.

Driving down the M4 on Friday and suddenly rev and speed gauge needles quickly and repeatedly dropped to 0 and then back to the correct position, about 30 seconds later i lost all power and luckily managed to cruise it into the hard shoulder. After a very quick panic, i started the car as normal. Thought it was odd but assumed a loose connection somewhere. Pulled back out and continued journey, about 1 mile later (now off the motorway thankfully) the same thing happened again and this time i managed to roll it into a small car park. It stayed here for 9 hours, Yes, 9 HOURS !!!, whilst i waited for the RAC to recover me. During this period i cranked the car about 4 times. Twice it started, once it idled for 2-3 mins then cut out, the next time i managed to reverse, move forward about 5 metres then it cut out again.

So now the current situation is. I can lock/unlock car as normal. Radio and interior lights have power, I have no ignition/dash lights, and the car will crank but not fire.

is there a likely culprit here ?? I have tried my OBD scanner but will not work i assume because the ignition is not working. Car is an 04 Blob WRX

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some thoughts ...
Old 26 September 2019, 10:03 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the immobiliser depending how it has been connected in as you seem to have everything but the ignition side of things.
Old 27 September 2019, 12:15 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 762 Likes on 632 Posts

Any progress on this??

Obvious place to start would be the main fuse box (MB) under the bonnet and Fuse box (F/B) by drivers right knee for any blown fuses.

As the starter cranks it sounds as if the slow blow fuses are OK and the problem is probably after the ignition switch.
The three F/B fuses shown above is a good place to start but usually best to check/test all of them.
Old 27 September 2019, 08:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Really could be anything. Gut feeling is bad earth, bad main supply to/from fusebox or a dying main ignition relay (not sure of location on Blob...Classics were behind the instrument panel.

Also bear in mind aftermarket immobilisers (like blackjaxx) usually tap into the main ignition circuits (sometimes the feed or switching signal to the ignition relay), so if this starts playing up it will give similar symptoms.

No OBD coms to engine ECU usually means ECU isn’t powered up...i.e ignition relay not energised.

Also check the ignition switch itself and the connector to the switch on the steering column, I seem to recall there was a common issue in this area back in the day.
Old 29 September 2019, 08:29 PM
JoeB
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply guys, very much appreciated. I have only just managed to have a good look for the first time today.

I checked all the fuses, including the 3 f/b fuses @Don Clark mentioned above, all seem to be ok.

i then put my clifford alarm system in 'valet mode' which disables all security features, still no ignition.

I have checked the battery terminals and earth wire, all seem to be in good order.

@@ALi-B if the ignition switch or its wiring is faulty, can this be replaced without effecting/removing the ignition barrel?

Car electrics are not my strong suit, to say the least. I think an auto electrician may have to be the next step. ill just kick myself if it ends up being something simple !

Last edited by JoeB; 29 September 2019 at 08:32 PM.