Sponsored by:

Least Desirable Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2019, 08:29 PM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Least Desirable Scooby

Howdy fellas haven't been on here in a while and looking to buy another scooby in the next few months. I really wanted a newer car but the road tax really puts me off, so going back to pre 2005 and wanted it for a year or so when i'd sell it and get a company car again. Which models would hold they're value (outside of P1s etc) and which would be the hardest to sell (least desirable)??
Old 13 October 2019, 08:59 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

None would be hardest to sell. Well non turbo Bugeye estate models go very cheap lol

Blobeye STI is the model to go for id say. Not insane money yet. But the rate Matty breaks them they will be.

All Blobeye models are going up. Very good Bugeye models are. But you can still pickup cheap wrx models.

Wouldn't buy a classic for investment if using as a daily. More likely to have faults rust etc.
Old 13 October 2019, 09:06 PM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

Would you say a bugeye wagon a difficult one to sell? A wagon would suit me for the next year but there are a couple around going for £5k which seems alot.
Old 14 October 2019, 12:11 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Wouldn't say difficult to sell just don't go for as much. But normally cost less. 5k sounds a lot unless low miles and fsh. But all depends how nice you want one. Plus reselling after use.
Old 14 October 2019, 09:46 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Could try something different - a JDM Legacy like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-LE...R/283640609156

A helpful forum here http://www.uklegacy.com/forums 280bhp and alot more refined than the equivalent Impreza... Can get them for little money on occasions too...

Great cars...
Old 14 October 2019, 01:28 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Price depends on condition. The older they are, the more likely they have started to rot. As you can't get replacement panels for Newages (AFAIK), it's not a cheap fix.

There is no real mechanical difference between a Bug and a Blob WRX. The Blob just has different front wings, bonnet, lights, grill and bumper. Different seats and dash console (depending upon year). All is interchangeable between cars/years.

I own both a Bug and Blob WRX Wagon. So for what it's worth, I'll say that I prefer the Bug to drive. When they changed from the Bug to the Blob, they spent a bit more on comfort and skimped a little on other areas, to soften the car and distinguish it further from the STi. It's a bit of a retrograde IMHO). So you lose the bucket style seats in the Bug and get bigger seats with airbags in the Blob. You get a slightly more modern set of clocks, with centre tachometer and dash console in the Blob but you lose the alloy bonnet from the Bug and get a heavy steel one instead (the Blob STi maintains the alloy bonnet). You can only get reflector headlights in the Blob, whereas you can get proper projectors for the Bug.

The Bug feels a bit lighter and pointier to drive. Turn in is a bit sharper. Steering slightly heavier. I think that the steel bonnet does have an effect on the Blob, the bumper overhang is also greater, making the front longer. I prefer the bucket style seats also (probably the best stock seats in any UK model). They look a bit rubbish with the stock headlights, projector headlights greatly improve the appearance.

So not a huge difference and as I say, most parts are readily available and interchangeable between years. Personally, I'd choose a good Bug over a good Blob, all things being equal. But I'd take a good Blob over and average Bug and vice versa. I don't think you'd have any issues selling either if they were in good condition with evidence of thorough preventative maintenance. £5-6k is tops I think. £3k would probably get you a sound one and you can refresh suspension, brakes etc at your leisure as they are easy to work on.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 14 October 2019 at 01:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TECHNOPUG:
Old 14 October 2019, 06:36 PM
AT@JDM
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F174064768932
Old 15 October 2019, 12:12 PM
rockabilly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can buy mine .. rare car and very good condition 13k

2003 red blob spec c ltd

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...-for-sale.html
The following users liked this post:
Old 15 October 2019, 10:58 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Gotta say I would never have seen myself getting a bugeye wagon! I always considered them dorky looking esp bugeye but when I saw the one I have with alloys and moretti lights I was smitten lol. Really impressed with how it drove and handled. Too bad I needed to pull the engine to get some work done but I've gone all out and got a brand new ej207 and I've had my vf35 reconditioned too so once it's got the rest of the new stuff on and had a remap it should hopefully be a nice 300bhp dad van with lolz this is my first foray into other cars.. I've done skylines for 10+ years and wanted something different and from what I've had of the bugeye so far I'm really impressed.. can't wait for more.
Old 30 October 2019, 07:22 PM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help guys. I'm really siding towards a bug as they seem to offer better vfm plus I like the sound of a nimbler car. Also I would prefer to change the rear spoiler to this or similar (too pricey)

http://seiboncarbon.co.uk/ss-style-c...preza-wrx.html

Is this an easy fit? Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? I didn't like the STi spoiler on my hawkeye that much as it wobbled too much and the low spoiler on some bugs look lame. I've seen a hawkeye for sale with a similar spoiler which is where I got the idea from. What are your thoughts.
Old 31 October 2019, 12:02 AM
AT@JDM
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the Prodrive Spoiler taken from a UK300. Of course one you posted is carbon fibre copy. Which looks veery nice.
Old 31 October 2019, 09:27 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

2008 Subaru Justy. End of.
Old 31 October 2019, 12:27 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

What's your budget?
Old 31 October 2019, 12:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.motortrend.com/news/suba...idnt-catch-on/
Old 01 November 2019, 12:06 AM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
What's your budget?
Sub £10k.
Old 04 November 2019, 02:39 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
2008 Subaru Justy. End of.
Meh, Casablanca all day long. I win.
Old 05 November 2019, 08:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow yes . forgotten that one
Old 05 November 2019, 10:19 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Subaru 360 0-60.37 secs with a stump pulling 25 bhp

i have a wrx auto which may be classed as undesirable but i love it..........
smooth, relaxing to drive & quite!............