ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Should I buy this Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2020, 10:30 PM
swe223
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this Subaru?

Hey guys I have a 2005 seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI PD 130 and it pulls like a train, the economy is good but more importantly when you put your foot down it does so well for its size I think because of the very high torque. I'm looking at a 2006 Subaru Impreza saloon 2.0r sport with 109,000 miles on it for £1750. The car looks in great condition and had a years MOT put on it only 2 days ago with no advisories or anything. My car is due an MOT next month and I doubt it's got a chance of passing. The air filter box also took a bashing by being loose under the bonnet and think it may be damaged.

Now my question is, because I make a trip to buy it in the next few days, will I miss having my turbo on my current car? The model of Subaru I'm looking at is 160hp so is higher compared to my current 130 but I'm insure if the drive will be sluggish and I'll regret my decision. The Subaru has 196nm of torque and the seat 310nm.

Thoughts?
Old 07 February 2020, 10:59 PM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the subaru will guzzle more n wont be as fast as that ibiza in real world
Old 07 February 2020, 11:05 PM
swe223
Scooby Newbie

So although the added hp, and 0-60 is fractionally better it'll seem slower?
Old 07 February 2020, 11:10 PM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Imo yes ..obviously on track driving 100% prob Subaru slightly quicker if you want a Subaru buy a turbo one not that worse mpg as you think mate
Old 07 February 2020, 11:25 PM
swe223
Scooby Newbie

Okay thanks for the information! Been thinking of the 2.5l turbo which I think would be awesome my insurance is 1200 rather than 520 so trying my hardest to justify it but I think I'm answering my own question by saying I think I'll miss the turbo on my car.
Old 08 February 2020, 12:28 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 284 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by swe223
Okay thanks for the information! Been thinking of the 2.5l turbo which I think would be awesome my insurance is 1200 rather than 520 so trying my hardest to justify it but I think I'm answering my own question by saying I think I'll miss the turbo on my car.
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-failures.html
Old 08 February 2020, 05:48 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Personally, 1.9 PD TDi are amongst the best bulletproof diesels out there. Yes, they are perhaps pretty dated now, but that's why they last as they hadn't been got at by the government when they were being produced - AdBlue, DPF....god knows what else just wasn't around back then, just an EGR valve which sometimes need a clean and is easy to do.
My Passat is a 2004 / 54 plate Highline saloon 1.9 PD 130 AWX engine. I've had it now for 14 years, and I will not part with it....why?...because I know what I've got.

I have an STi as a second car.
Keep the Seat if you can, but I'd never go from that to an n/a Impreza, no chance. It won't have a flexible feel when you floor it. Less driveability etc.

AMD do good maps for VAG cars, my Passat was done by them at their Essex branch over 10 years ago. I'm on 126k miles and it's still rock solid. AMD could map yours to 170 bhp easily, and if you think you've got good bottom end / mid range torque now, then think again. The front end will lift up like a speed boat!

Millers do great diesel additives to chuck in the tank, cheap and sold at Halfords etc, Millers is a good brand. Or, run a tank of Shell V-Power diesel through it occasionally.

Yes, I think you will miss the turbo. The Seat will be faster all round.
Obviously I don't know your financial position, but if you can, keep the Seat and get something else as a toy. Admiral do very good deals on their multi car insurance scheme. You may be surprised. I don't see any gains in going n/a Impreza though. More fuel, less fun and so on.

If you advertise the Seat (saying it's 1.9 PD will sell the car), I guarantee your phone will ring quickly and it will be gone, once it's gone it's gone. You can fix things cheaply from ebay, millions of parts out there to help you through an MOT. If the car is too far gone, then that's a shame, a real shame, but hey....nothing lasts for ever sadly, but selling it with little or no MOT will see you get peanuts for it.

If you want / need a bigger car, for £2,000 you could get a nice 1.9 PD Passat / Audi A4 of similar age to your Seat. Mileage doesn't really matter, and you'll seldom find a better built car around these days, Passats were over engineered back then, plus so much space inside them, big boot etc. They do like the odd CV boot here and there, or door lock, but who cares! And again, ebay is your friend there. Don't bother with the newer 2.0 TDi, no way as good as the 1.9 bulletproof engine.

In a nutshell, if it was me, I'd keep the Seat and repair it for MOT. I think you'd miss it, I know I would. Forget n/a Impreza, you'll be bored within days I reckon.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 08 February 2020 at 06:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08 February 2020, 09:48 AM
siluro
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you buy a Newage WRX then you will get between 23-27 mpg if you do not try and drive it efficiently. Town low 20s and motorways maybe 28 mpg. Full tank can range from 180 miles to 280 miles depending on type of driving (51 liters). If you worried about MPG do not by a Turbo scooby.
Old 08 February 2020, 09:38 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swe223
Hey guys I have a 2005 seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI PD 130 and it pulls like a train, the economy is good but more importantly when you put your foot down it does so well for its size I think because of the very high torque. I'm looking at a 2006 Subaru Impreza saloon 2.0r sport with 109,000 miles on it for £1750. The car looks in great condition and had a years MOT put on it only 2 days ago with no advisories or anything. My car is due an MOT next month and I doubt it's got a chance of passing. The air filter box also took a bashing by being loose under the bonnet and think it may be damaged.

Now my question is, because I make a trip to buy it in the next few days, will I miss having my turbo on my current car? The model of Subaru I'm looking at is 160hp so is higher compared to my current 130 but I'm insure if the drive will be sluggish and I'll regret my decision. The Subaru has 196nm of torque and the seat 310nm.

Thoughts?
don’t buy a non-turbo, it will be an instant regret. You will only want to go and buy a turbo