ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Correct glue

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2020, 10:28 AM
imprezahubbard
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Correct glue

Hi everyone does anyone no the best glue to use to stick wingmirror glass back onto the heater element and still use the defrost future many thanks mine came off but got it before it smashed to peices
Old 26 April 2020, 02:16 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I used Gorilla superglue on my VW Passat when this happened. The heater element is plastic on my VW, so I roughed it up with sand paper and applied loads of superglue and stuck the glass to it.
I'm unsure of the Subaru set up / heater element arrangement - sorry!
Old 26 April 2020, 03:25 PM
imprezahubbard
Scooby Regular

This is for my volvo mate sounds like same set up as yours just a plastic heated back plate then the mirror is stuck onto it just some people say use Evo stick some say epoxy so many different views did yours stay on what gorilla
glue did you use did heater still work
Old 27 April 2020, 09:58 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Sorry, only just seen your reply. Gorilla glue from Tesco shown below. The simple clear stuff.
Ref the mirror pics, the glass is already removed - it was about to fall out!

You can see the plastic heated element, I pulled out the heated element and disconnected the wires. I good rub down with rough sandpaper on the plastic element - probably a 200 or 400 (dry) criss cross hatch pattern. Don't touch either side of the glass with the sandpaper obviously!!!!!!!! Just clean both sides of the glass with warm water or glass cleaner, just make sure it's clean and dry.

A generous criss cross of the glue on the heater element (plenty but not oozing once I stuck the glass to the element, if it does then wipe away immediately) My glass stuck perfectly to the element - as they are shaped to match of course.

Let the glue set (I gave mine an hour or two), plugged the heater wires back in, and pushed the now stuck together element and glass as one piece back into the mirror housing. Job done.

Yes, it has stayed stuck since since February 2019, and yes the heater element works perfectly fine as I've now had 2 winters with it, Hope this helps mate :

Old 27 April 2020, 01:22 PM
imprezahubbard
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all that mate exactly same problem as mine but I eneded up getting good old loctite glue seems to of worked so far if it comes off witch I dowt I'll use what you just showed me thanks mate
Old 28 April 2020, 10:16 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Ah cool, you should be fine as the glass isn't that heavy.