ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Older WRX's

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2001, 01:20 PM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wondering if anybody here has got an (older) i.e. 93-95 wrx, and what problems you have with them, as i am opting out of my company car scheme and want to get a loan for an older model (as i am young and skint - read saving for a wedding/house etc -)
Just wondering as i do not want to get one and then end up paying for clutches etc
Old 24 May 2001, 01:38 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Bought a 93 last year as I'd just bought a house as well and couldn't afford a newer model. Touch wood it's been fine, only cost is servicing and petrol Had a couple of little problems like cracked heatsheilds and squeaky doors but nothing that cost a lot to fix. The good thing about older models is all the inherent faults are already known and can be sorted straight away (cr4p brakes spring to mind)

Have a look in the FAQ section of the Subaru Impreza Drivers Club website as this sort of thing is listed in there. The address is
Old 24 May 2001, 02:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I have a MY94 WRX Wagon, so it's an early one, one of the first 5 doors, plus it's a jap import.

no real problems, apart from it needing a good service which it has just had, and it's totally transformed the car, feels much healthier.

Do have some wierd tapping sound, which I'm told might be hydraulic follower, but will be getting it looked at soon.

apart from that it seems ok.

as to what will need to be done to it depends on the kind of life it's had, a few people get an older car and use it only for trackdays, thus it gets a bit of a going over.

but i think most of us are caring types and take good care of our precious cars

I do.

Best thing is to look at a lot of cars and don't just buy the first one you see.

Better still, get along to one of the meets/trackdays and see some of the cars in the flesh/metal, and talk to the owners.
Old 24 May 2001, 02:21 PM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

i have seen a nice silver wrx with 31500 miles (My 94 GL Impreza has done 110k) on the clock for £6250, in kent, and also there is garage that i will be going to near Norwich, who deal with imports (DACAR UK).
I would rather get it from a garage as they will normally do some kind of warranty, but if there is not much that goes wrong, i might well get one privately
Old 24 May 2001, 03:06 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

31500 miles for £6250, how can you trust this mileage for that price especially if its an import??
Old 24 May 2001, 03:36 PM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

i dont trust it yet! I havent looked at the cra, just seen a picture on autotraders web site!, as i said, i would probably try and go with a dealer anyhows!
Old 24 May 2001, 03:44 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A friend, in the spirit of having a fun track-day, weekend trip car, has recently decided to save money and add fun by cancelling his M3 order and buying...yes you guessesd it...a 1995 Impreza Turbo. After a few weeks looking he found a very low milage perfect red sedan (about 30000 miles) for about € 12000. He then proceded to spend € 8000 or so on a lot of mods:
- car cut and polished
- sparco seats with harnesses out front, and retrim at the back in the same color (red like the outside)
- new swheel, gearknob and other gadgetry
- de-catted exaust, ram-pod filter, ecu remap and uprated clutch
- new shocks and springs (adjustable konis I think)
- re-conditioned gearbox and electrics, including a new battery
- Brembo 4-pots fronts and 2 pots rear, and new wheel bearings
- 17" speedlines + P0s
- STi 5 rear wing and a front lip thing
He had all the work done by one really good shop here in Italy, who in 3 weeks returned the car to him with all the above done superbly I must say.
So, for about 20000 Euros he has an absolutely unbelievable lookingsoundinggoing machine for tracks and weekends (although he loves it so much he's using it daily to work etc). That's not much money, particoularly as it's a full 40000 euro less then the M3, for a far more focused and racy car. Even if by the time he resells it it's worth nothing, total loss on 20k is less then normal depreciation on an M3 after 1-2 years of ownership!

wall
Old 24 May 2001, 04:38 PM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have a MY95 WRX. I bought it in Feb. '00 and so far (touch wood) it has been very reliable. The cambelt sensor went on me last year (cost of £80) but apart from that and my huge petrol bill (you've just gotta drive them!) I've had no problems.

Jo
Old 24 May 2001, 04:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

ragnarock,
I'd be interested to hear your experiences with Daivd and Caroline @ Dacar, as this is where the blackbeast came from.

Old 24 May 2001, 05:04 PM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

Markus, did they seem OK? What sort of things do you want to know???

Old 24 May 2001, 05:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think they were OK, but no doubt SuzyQ will say something different if/when she sees this.

Just curious as to how things go with them.

How did you find out about them? Mike Rainbird (yes him ) put me in touch with them. But I know thy do have an ad in the 'car importing guide' mag (or whatever it's called)

email me if you'd rather not post on here.
Old 24 May 2001, 05:21 PM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

i found them advertising on autotrader (or Ixm's) website, cant remember which!
What problems did SuzieQ have with them then???
The only reason I am interested is that they are the closest used import dealers to me, so obviously are easy to get to if there are any problems etc!