ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2020, 12:21 AM
darylbob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers

Evenin gents just looking to get some recommendations for a new set of speakers as the stocks in my motor are dire, so tempted to get a full system but maybe a bit old now😂, but still want a set of door speakers that still beat👌. Anyone know the sizes mine will be on a blob ?
Old 03 July 2020, 03:50 AM
pickzebra
Scooby Newbie

What year?
Old 03 July 2020, 09:13 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbob
Evenin gents just looking to get some recommendations for a new set of speakers as the stocks in my motor are dire, so tempted to get a full system but maybe a bit old now😂, but still want a set of door speakers that still beat👌. Anyone know the sizes mine will be on a blob ?
I think they are 5” front and 4” back but you can go to 6.5” front with a spacer (around £15 a pair on eBay). Speakers depend on budget and what sound you are looking for load, clear, bass, etc.
Old 03 July 2020, 06:15 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by adam.pah
I think they are 5” front and 4” back but you can go to 6.5” front with a spacer (around £15 a pair on eBay). Speakers depend on budget and what sound you are looking for load, clear, bass, etc.
Which ones are good loud and clear 6.5" speakers and decent rears?
I'd fit them myself....

Budget would be high to allow for decent quality sound all round.....
Old 03 July 2020, 08:26 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

Stock head unit isn't great if you are using it, I changed mine to an alpine unit first and noticed an improvement with the stock speakers, but they are still shyte. Mate of mine then gifted me a box full of infinity speakers so put some 6.5 components in the front. You need to sort the doors out with sound matting though or whatever you put in wont sound great as the doors are so tinny. Hear good things about Hertz or Focul speakers.
Old 04 July 2020, 02:26 PM
darylbob
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Cheers, gonna go ahead an order a set of 6.5 all round I think, thought it might of been a ballache changing size but sounds easy enough👍
Old 04 July 2020, 02:29 PM
darylbob
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Which ones are good loud and clear 6.5" speakers and decent rears?
I'd fit them myself....

Budget would be high to allow for decent quality sound all round.....
Yeah defo fitting them myself mate used to do it alot during the 106 xsi years 😂, I'm looking to spend 250 max that's about all I can afford right now. Hopefully get something half decent for that
Old 04 July 2020, 02:35 PM
darylbob
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Stock head unit isn't great if you are using it, I changed mine to an alpine unit first and noticed an improvement with the stock speakers, but they are still shyte. Mate of mine then gifted me a box full of infinity speakers so put some 6.5 components in the front. You need to sort the doors out with sound matting though or whatever you put in wont sound great as the doors are so tinny. Hear good things about Hertz or Focul speakers.
luckily when I bought the car last November it came with a pioneer head unit not the best but not too bad, an yeah still ****e haha, good point with the sound matting never used it before, I can imagine it wouldnt take much for bits in these doors to start rattling, I hate taking door casings off though clips😩, cheers though illl look into Hertz an focul 👍
Old 04 July 2020, 04:50 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbob
luckily when I bought the car last November it came with a pioneer head unit not the best but not too bad, an yeah still ****e haha, good point with the sound matting never used it before, I can imagine it wouldnt take much for bits in these doors to start rattling, I hate taking door casings off though clips😩, cheers though illl look into Hertz an focul 👍
I got some cheap sound proofing from eBay and it’s worked well.
i also bought a set of plastic interior removal tools off of amazon for a tenner, worth every penny!
Old 04 July 2020, 05:42 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Don't buy 6.5" for the rear doors I doubt they will fit. Many people say don't even bother with the rear door speakers, but I changed mine for I think 5" components and they improved the sound quality. They were the best I could get hold of in halfords at the time so still not the best in quality but a marked improvement over stock speakers.
Old 06 July 2020, 08:14 PM
Jay kay
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vibe do some slick6.5 components and halfords have been doing them on a deal for about £45. They are vibe's lower end components but your be surprised how well they sound, on par with most stuff double the price. Theres a lot of people using them as part of big builds
Old 07 July 2020, 04:35 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Do 6.5" speakers for the front need some sort of ring spacer, or do they fit straight in?
Old 07 July 2020, 06:51 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay kay
Vibe do some slick6.5 components and halfords have been doing them on a deal for about £45. They are vibe's lower end components but your be surprised how well they sound, on par with most stuff double the price. Theres a lot of people using them as part of big builds
it was the vibe 5" components that I installed in the rear doors. Much better than the stock speakers.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Do 6.5" speakers for the front need some sort of ring spacer, or do they fit straight in?
yes, you need to either make your own spacers rings out of mdf or plywood, or I believe people use plastic spacer rings for a Vauxhall corsa.