Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Has anyone fitted a Recaro SPG XL?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2020, 05:21 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Has anyone fitted a Recaro SPG XL?

Hi All,

I recently bought myself a Recaro Profi SPG XL to go in my Blob. It came with some side mounts that look like cheap universal jobbies (they have a poorly placed Recaro sticker on them but it’s fooling no one!)
I also found a set of Recaro Impreza specific rails, originally from a GC8 but bolt in just fine.

So I bolted it all together out of the car and no issues but when I tried to fit it, the shoulder of the seat is fouling the door pillar (by a lot!).
i flicked an email to GSM who said they have a specific side mount for this seat but couldn’t confirm if it would overcome the issue of the seat being positioned too far towards the door.

Before I go down the route of spending yet more money, has anyone else fitted these and did you have the same issue? I’ve spent a couple of days trawling forums but haven’t found anything specific to this seat. I’m not sure if I should buy the new side mounts or look for different rails. I also bought some OMP base mounts that I thought I may be able to use with universal rails but these were unfortunately lost in the post! 🤦🏻‍♂️

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. 🤷‍♂️ Otherwise I’m chucking in the towel and selling it. 😑

Old 05 July 2020, 06:51 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have these exact seats fitted into my Spec C RA utilising a set of Buddy Club Rails and whilst the wings at the widest point do not touch the plastic trim in the B-pillar, you can only just about get a cigarette paper in there.

To do this, I did however have to "fettle" the mounting points on the Buddy club rails to push the seat 5mm towards the centre of the car.

3 years in and no issue with fitment.

Russell
Old 05 July 2020, 07:38 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WUZ
I have these exact seats fitted into my Spec C RA utilising a set of Buddy Club Rails and whilst the wings at the widest point do not touch the plastic trim in the B-pillar, you can only just about get a cigarette paper in there.

To do this, I did however have to "fettle" the mounting points on the Buddy club rails to push the seat 5mm towards the centre of the car.

3 years in and no issue with fitment.

Russell
Thanks Russell.
I had read somewhere that the buddy club rails wouldn’t work with them so good to know that it could be an option. What did you do to make them fit? I was thinking about widening the mounting holes on the side mounts but didn’t think I’d be able to get the required space.
I also thought of just doing the inside mount and then trying to pack out the off side with some washers to push it over.
If it’s possible to get some pics up, that’s would really help, I’m a visual person 😂.
Cheers, Adam
Old 05 July 2020, 09:02 AM
SpecCTypeRA
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar Issue - I have a Cobra Sebring Pro GT fitted in my car now, fitted on Cobra side mounts and bolted directly to standard rails out of a GC8 with minor modification and that work just fine. As with yours, the head protection side cushion fouled on the B post pillar plastics. So I removed plastics and the upper seat belt mounting and bolt, got my seating position sorted, got hold of a donor B post plastic and cut it at the angle of the head rest and then refitted the donor plastic (keeping the original plastics and seatbelt to turn it back to standard if ever I sell the car).
My factory seat belt is removed completely and I used the lower mounting bolts as anchor points for use with a full 6 point harness now fitted. Its all a tight fit but the seat is in line with the steering wheel / pedals and better that moving the seat inwards I thought..

Don't sell it - persevere to make it fit ;-)

HTH
Rob
Old 05 July 2020, 11:15 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 448 Likes on 372 Posts

It won't help you with your current situation but I love your kitchen mate.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05 July 2020, 11:15 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecCTypeRA
Similar Issue - I have a Cobra Sebring Pro GT fitted in my car now, fitted on Cobra side mounts and bolted directly to standard rails out of a GC8 with minor modification and that work just fine. As with yours, the head protection side cushion fouled on the B post pillar plastics. So I removed plastics and the upper seat belt mounting and bolt, got my seating position sorted, got hold of a donor B post plastic and cut it at the angle of the head rest and then refitted the donor plastic (keeping the original plastics and seatbelt to turn it back to standard if ever I sell the car).
My factory seat belt is removed completely and I used the lower mounting bolts as anchor points for use with a full 6 point harness now fitted. Its all a tight fit but the seat is in line with the steering wheel / pedals and better that moving the seat inwards I thought..

Don't sell it - persevere to make it fit ;-)

HTH
Rob
Definitely a similar issue to what I have Rob. It just seems like the rails don’t sit centrally under the seat so it all needs to be pushed over a bit.
Nice work around, not sure I want to compromise the interior for the sake of the seat though. If I have to sell this and get an alternative then so be it. I should never have sold the Pro 2000’s it came with! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 05 July 2020, 12:31 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
It won't help you with your current situation but I love your kitchen mate.
Thanks, lol!
We only just moved back in. We had to move out so that our builders could finish the project.
Glad to be back and just in time as my wife gave birth on Wednesday! 😂
Old 05 July 2020, 01:13 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 448 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Thanks, lol!
We only just moved back in. We had to move out so that our builders could finish the project.
Glad to be back and just in time as my wife gave birth on Wednesday! 😂
Congratulations dude.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05 July 2020, 09:54 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Would love to send some pics but currently offshore and not due home until the end of the month- Sorry
Old 07 July 2020, 03:02 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have SPGs waiting to go in my RA. They have the side frames and Recaro runners so I'm hoping I don't get any fouling issues.

I've got all suede pillar coverings to go on too so hoping to blitz the interior over a weekend - weather permitting!