ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying my second Impreza - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2020, 11:08 AM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying my second Impreza - opinions please

I am currently looking at Subaru Impreza STI UK 2003 PPP pack 301bhp - advertised for £8800

The engine is standard from the factory, so hasn't been messed around with, has a full-service history. 73k on the clock

Had two timing belt changes, the last being in 2015 @ 57k
Clutch was changed in 2013 @ 53k

Bodywork is okay, looks clean apart from a little bit of bubbling on the rear arch. I certainly want another Impreza after selling my version 2 around 5 months ago.
Old 19 July 2020, 11:14 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 496 Likes on 339 Posts

cambelt is overdue by a year then, it should be every 40k or 4 years which ever comes 1st.
Old 19 July 2020, 11:22 AM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
cambelt is overdue by a year then, it should be every 40k or 4 years which ever comes 1st.
Thanks, is that the official recommendation by Subaru i.e. manual?
There is a lot of mixed info on the web.
Old 19 July 2020, 11:22 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Greenwich
I am currently looking at Subaru Impreza STI UK 2003 PPP pack 301bhp - advertised for £8800

The engine is standard from the factory, so hasn't been messed around with, has a full-service history. 73k on the clock

Had two timing belt changes, the last being in 2015 @ 57k
Clutch was changed in 2013 @ 53k

Bodywork is okay, looks clean apart from a little bit of bubbling on the rear arch. I certainly want another Impreza after selling my version 2 around 5 months ago.

Check those rear arches closely. Check behind them above the rear wheels with a mirror if you have to, then get inside the boot linings on both sides to make sure you can't see to the ground / tarmac. Not sure how bad Blobs do this, but Classics rot from the inside out - so if you can see bubbles...you could also see an expensive underlying turret rebuild etc. Lots on here and all over the internet about rotting rear arch issues on older models and what could be going on. Best to know before deciding to buy or walk away. Take a good reliable bright LED torch with you.

Old 19 July 2020, 12:47 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks, is that the official recommendation by Subaru i.e. manual?
There is a lot of mixed info on the web.
In Japan they change them every 100k km and don’t pay a lot of attention to years.

I let my old classic go 10 years without changing - albeit on very low mileage. Not recommending it, but nothing happened.
Old 19 July 2020, 01:35 PM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems decent price in current climate ......especially if can get towards 8k
Old 19 July 2020, 02:07 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As Hawkeye said, surely everyone now knows by now that Impreza rear arches rot from the inside out so that 'little bit of bubbling' on the outside is almost certainly just the tip of the iceberg.

Plenty of blobs and even some hawks now have thoroughly rotten arches and possibly also suspension turrets.
Old 19 July 2020, 02:09 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
In Japan they change them every 100k km and don’t pay a lot of attention to years.

I let my old classic go 10 years without changing - albeit on very low mileage. Not recommending it, but nothing happened.
Fair play, I wouldn't want to chance it haha.

Just wondering what the official recommendation is.
The following users liked this post:
Old 19 July 2020, 02:19 PM
ej20boy
BANNED

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Overpriced
2005 is the blob version you want.
I've looked at fee over the last month and there are some real dogs about
Old 19 July 2020, 02:28 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Fair play, I wouldn't want to chance it haha.

Just wondering what the official recommendation is.
the later belt kit are advice to be change every 60K ...was informed this by Alyn from AS performance

Last edited by bighead; 19 July 2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 19 July 2020, 02:29 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

And I'll say again, I don't know why anyone would make a discretionary purchase of a fun/weekend car right now, demand appears to be massively outstripping supply and prices appear to be higher than ever, mainly due to pent up demand from lockdown and Sunak spunking free money to anyone and everyone.

The economic landscape could be looking very different in 6-9 months time once reality sets in.
Old 19 July 2020, 02:50 PM
ej20boy
BANNED

Originally Posted by mike74
And I'll say again, I don't know why anyone would make a discretionary purchase of a fun/weekend car right now, demand appears to be massively outstripping supply and prices appear to be higher than ever, mainly due to pent up demand from lockdown and Sunak spunking free money to anyone and everyone.

The economic landscape could be looking very different in 6-9 months time once reality sets in.
because they want a fun weekend car now as its the summer. Not in the dark wet winter.
Cars a generally more expensive in summertime
Old 19 July 2020, 03:18 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I would just use the cambelt (and rollers etc) as an automatic £500 off sale discussion as its due, before you get into anything else on the car (bodywork etc).
Old 19 July 2020, 03:24 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ej20boy
because they want a fun weekend car now as its the summer. Not in the dark wet winter.
Cars a generally more expensive in summertime
It's mid July, they'll be lucky if they get 6 weekends before the Autumn weather sets in and current prices and demand are far in excess of the usual summer increases due to the circumstances I've already mentioned.

But I suppose you've highlighted the bigger problem we have these days with everyone wanting everything and wanting it NOW!... Regardless of the financial sense or whether they can actually afford it.
Old 19 July 2020, 05:48 PM
ej20boy
BANNED

It's mid July, they'll be lucky if they get 6 weekends before the Autumn weather sets in and current prices and demand are far in excess of the usual summer increases due to the circumstances I've already mentioned.

But I suppose you've highlighted the bigger problem we have these days with everyone wanting everything and wanting it NOW!... Regardless of the financial sense or whether they can actually afford it.
you're judging people by your own finances.
what if you have the disposable income and want it now?
supply and demand......
Old 19 July 2020, 06:25 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Certainly not judging people by my own finances, that would be very unfair and dismissive of me.

The fact is he's basically come on here asking if the car he's seen represents reasonable value for money so it doesn't exactly sound like he is in a 'money no object' situation, personally from the description I don't think it's a great buy at that price under any circumstances but certainly not in the current extraordinary circumstances and especially not in terms of how things could look in the not too distant future with regards to supply, demand and prices.
Old 19 July 2020, 07:02 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Certainly not judging people by my own finances, that would be very unfair and dismissive of me.

The fact is he's basically come on here asking if the car he's seen represents reasonable value for money so it doesn't exactly sound like he is in a 'money no object' situation, personally from the description I don't think it's a great buy at that price under any circumstances but certainly not in the current extraordinary circumstances and especially not in terms of how things could look in the not too distant future with regards to supply, demand and prices.
I am just looking at the moment, I do have a budget in mind, prices are all over the place irrespective of supply and demand.

Price reflects other factors such as the overall condition of the car, year, mileage, what kind of service history the car has, and so on ...

Back to your original argument, if I understood correctly, you are saying that demand is currently higher than supply, and prices are inflated?

Old 19 July 2020, 07:29 PM
ej20boy
BANNED

I am just looking at the moment, I do have a budget in mind, prices are all over the place irrespective of supply and demand.

Price reflects other factors such as the overall condition of the car, year, mileage, what kind of service history the car has, and so on ...

Back to your original argument, if I understood correctly, you are saying that demand is currently higher than supply, and prices are inflated?
as I mentioned earlier I am looking for a widetrack blob or jdm blob/hawk.
the prices are not representative of the condition.
I dont really have a budget as such but am just after the right car.
I'm yet to view one that is in what I'd consider excellent condition.
a big thing for me is tyres, if the owner puts budget tyres on a car it tells you everything about the upkeep of the rest of it.
I viewed a jdm spec c with landsail tyres on....ffs
Old 20 July 2020, 04:29 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

That certainly appears to be the case right now from reading elsewhere.

I know traders might have a vested interest in ''talking up'' the used car market but I am inclined to believe them at the moment when I hear of lack of stock, high auction prices being achieved, traders buying stock from private sellers adverts etc

It makes sense for that to be the case right now with 4 months of pent up demand, people with spare cash unable to spend it on other things such as holidays and Sunak spunking free money around like there's no tomorrow.

The economic impact of covid hasn't even began to take effect yet in terms of job losses, reduced hours, reduced pay, reduced lending.
Old 20 July 2020, 06:19 PM
ej20boy
BANNED

That certainly appears to be the case right now from reading elsewhere.

I know traders might have a vested interest in ''talking up'' the used car market but I am inclined to believe them at the moment when I hear of lack of stock, high auction prices being achieved, traders buying stock from private sellers adverts etc

It makes sense for that to be the case right now with 4 months of pent up demand, people with spare cash unable to spend it on other things such as holidays and Sunak spunking free money around like there's no tomorrow.

The economic impact of covid hasn't even began to take effect yet in terms of job losses, reduced hours, reduced pay, reduced lending.
Jesus you do go on....you have no idea of other peoples financial situation, not everybody is skint or borrowing money for everything they buy.

If you have the money and want something buy it, you might be dead tommorow.

As I'm looking for another impreza I can tell you there is no shortage of cars for sale, what there is though is a shortage of good cars for sale
Old 20 July 2020, 06:33 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Jesus you do go on....you have no idea of other peoples financial situation, not everybody is skint or borrowing money for everything they buy.

As I'm looking for another impreza I can tell you there is no shortage of cars for sale, what there is though is a shortage of good cars for sale
+1

I remember a guy on here ages ago who held off buying property for years as he was convinced an almighty crash was coming. Never happened.
Old 20 July 2020, 09:38 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

True, never know what is around the corner.

Also, I was looking for months before covid-19, when I bought my version 2 ... and totally agree: "there is no shortage of cars for sale, what there is though is a shortage of good cars for sale"

I will keep looking, and hopefully one will pop up that is right for me.

Thanks for all the input guys, you've all been helpful.
Old 21 July 2020, 06:30 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Where exactly was I commenting on the OP's financial situation or claiming 'everyone is skint or borrowing money for everything'?... although if you take the time to study the figures for new and used car purchases and the levels by which by which they're financed, as well levels of consumer debt in general it's quite hard to arrive at any other conclusion that the vast majority of people are indeed skint, borrowing and living beyond their means.

The OP asked me to further comment on my assertion that the current used car market is inflated as a result of covid, this all I did.

I'm not sure why you're in such strong disagreement with me, you yourself have commented on the number of 'tatty and overpriced' Imprezas out there which I certainly don't disagree with, all I'm saying is that right now you can also throw in what appears to be post covid pent up demand outstripping supply and pushing prices of all cars up even further.
Old 21 July 2020, 09:27 AM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

car prices are up.... a look on 2.0 L WRX or STI on autotrader under 100k miles

All WRX saloons over £5k
STI over 10k

doubt many will pay that tho

Last edited by Andycat; 21 July 2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 21 July 2020, 11:33 AM
ej20boy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Andycat
car prices are up.... a look on 2.0 L WRX or STI on autotrader under 100k miles

All WRX saloons over £5k
STI over 10k

doubt many will pay that tho
Just because prices are up doesnt mean they are selling.
I'm convinced people are plucking prices out the air.
How on earth you think your rusty dented 2004 impreza is worth 10k is beyond me

Last edited by ej20boy; 21 July 2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 21 July 2020, 01:05 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Just because prices are up doesnt mean they are selling.
I'm convinced people are plucking prices out the air.
How on earth you think your rusty dented 2004 impreza is worth 10k is beyond me
would my rotbox sell if put up at £12k on a serious note?
Old 21 July 2020, 02:00 PM
ej20boy
BANNED

Originally Posted by ZANY
would my rotbox sell if put up at £12k on a serious note?
its something I'd consider if its as good as the pictures
Old 21 July 2020, 02:47 PM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

theres a uk 04 STi on amazing low miles think 38k only......... a deposit been left its £14000.....
Old 21 July 2020, 02:49 PM
ej20boy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Andycat
theres a uk 04 STi on amazing low miles think 38k only......... a deposit been left its £14000.....
madness especially if its a uk car
Old 21 July 2020, 02:52 PM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

yep
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...cation=at_cars

Quick Reply: Buying my second Impreza - opinions please