ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Rust advice 2005 Blob

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2020, 09:43 PM
Nelzsti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rust advice 2005 Blob

Just had the front wheel off messing with arch liner and noticed this rusted area nr the ARB Bracket. Had a poke around and it seems solid enough, is this common ?

Would a good wire brushing and painting be good enough or would you strip it down? This is going to bug me now

Old 03 August 2020, 10:56 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I had some good advice off Steve (domino on here) take the plastic covers off that cover your chassis rails
and see what they are like before you do anything else, I was lucky mine are pretty much mint but many haven’t been so lucky.
Old 04 August 2020, 10:18 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 246 Posts

it still looks sound enough , go to dinitrol , they do a rust treatment plus products to put on once it’s treated , a drill with a wire brush on the end to get rid of most of it , rust loves places that are hidden or you can’t find easily , the rear sills are a good place to seal , again dinitrol have a cavity pipe sprayer it’s only a few quid , a lot of their products can be got on ebay , i used waxoyl before , dinitrol is way better and is an easy job to be done at home , as you buy aerosol cans rather than their compressor can range
Old 04 August 2020, 10:31 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You'll probably find that the big U-frame crash support is also rotten.I had to remove mine when I replaced a wishbone and the was enough rust to suggest that it would have been pretty useless in an accident. So I didn't bother to refit it.
Old 04 August 2020, 11:09 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 246 Posts

From memory Richard at Fb tuning can supply a refurb’d big underneath u support if needed , if it’s not too bad again wire brush in a drill, and seal it with dinitrol , mot wise , if it’s rusty and falling to pieces could be an issue , if it’s not on the car i don’t think the mot place can say or do any thing
Old 10 August 2020, 03:48 PM
p2ulw
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelzsti
Just had the front wheel off messing with arch liner and noticed this rusted area nr the ARB Bracket. Had a poke around and it seems solid enough, is this common ?

Would a good wire brushing and painting be good enough or would you strip it down? This is going to bug me now
The lower U frame in the above photo looks like it would clean up fine but the main subframe where the anti-roll bar is attached looks pretty rusty. My 05 widetrack was very similar and I just replaced both subframes, expensive but worth it for the peace of mind IMO. I think this will become a common repair as the car's age.

I'd take the lower frame off, wire brush it and paint it with bilt hamber expoxy mastic, it will be fine. The main subframe above I'd wire brush and apply bilt hamber hydrate 80 in an attempt to convert the rust to a more solid base. You can apply bilt hamber UC (a clear underbody wax in an aersol) to the finished result to help slow future corrosion.
Old 10 August 2020, 09:30 PM
Nelzsti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I took the car in for a inspection on Saturday as i was worried this was just the tip of the iceberg, they removed the cill covers ect. On the whole the main body of the car was in really good condition. I think the bit in the photo was the worst bit thank god. Over the winter i will make a start on getting rid of the rusted bits
The following users liked this post:
Old 10 August 2020, 10:50 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't leave it until winter! Do it while the weather is still warm and pleasant. Paints and waxoyls are much more user friendly and easy to apply in warm weather and rust converters also work better and dry more readily for further treatments in warm weather. Remember also its more humid in winter.

Last edited by nicam49; 10 August 2020 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post: