ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Baffle sump Help

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2020, 09:22 PM
Nelzsti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Baffle sump Help

I plan on doing a few track days so been advised to fit a baffled sump. All i can find is the RCM one at about £600 or this https://www.tuningdevelopments.co.uk...oducts_id=2537 which is cheaper and come with a pick up

I would have thought they would be someone modding the OEM ones cheaper?

Cars going in soon so i need to get something sorted
Old 10 August 2020, 09:27 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Hmm, my engine builder recommended a slightly overfilled twinscroll sump (which is the same as the ej25 sump, afaik), as it has better oil control than the single scroll 2001-2005 2.0 sump.

I didn't have any problems with oil pressure (from what I could tell from the gauges at least) at Brands with this method. I'm not massively fast, but I did a couple of sub 60 second laps, which isn't absolutely terrible.

If you're on road tyres, you most likely will be OK with a twin scroll sump IMO, unless you are very good at driving.
Old 10 August 2020, 09:28 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

i should also add, if I was looking at a sump upgrade I would rather have a KillerB sump than the Moroso sump (I haven't ran either, but feedback seems very good for the KillerB sump (for a wet sump, at least)).
Old 10 August 2020, 09:40 PM
Nelzsti
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting , i did read somewhere the later model had a better sump design,,, I have got road/track tyres fitted though
Old 10 August 2020, 09:55 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

I'm using Federal RSR-595 tyres (though to be fair, they are about 10 years old, haha)
Old 11 August 2020, 10:50 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I ran on super soft rally slicks on sprints for years on my widetrack blob, far stickier than your normal trackday tyre.
Sump was stock twin scroll fitted with a Cosworth baffle plate and an RCMS return to sump oil breather system.
The big problem with the Subaru engine is the heads fill up with oil and empties the sump, fit a return to sump system and that problems goes away (as does breathing in oil vapour into the inlet system that lowers the effective octane of the fuel, leading to more chance of det).

I ran for years on track with a completely stock sump setup on my STi5 Type RA, but only ran it on normal road tyres.

You have to tailor the oil system to the car and tyre, on the 750BHP TA car i drive it is still wet sumped, but has a pretty developed setup by Chevron.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11 August 2020, 03:19 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
I ran on super soft rally slicks on sprints for years on my widetrack blob, far stickier than your normal trackday tyre.
Sump was stock twin scroll fitted with a Cosworth baffle plate and an RCMS return to sump oil breather system.
The big problem with the Subaru engine is the heads fill up with oil and empties the sump, fit a return to sump system and that problems goes away (as does breathing in oil vapour into the inlet system that lowers the effective octane of the fuel, leading to more chance of det).

I ran for years on track with a completely stock sump setup on my STi5 Type RA, but only ran it on normal road tyres.

You have to tailor the oil system to the car and tyre, on the 750BHP TA car i drive it is still wet sumped, but has a pretty developed setup by Chevron.
How does that return to sump system work? Is it assisted somehow, or do you mean some sort of nipple+hose on the cam covers (or elsewhere) to passively return oil to the sump?
Old 11 August 2020, 05:15 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I’ve been running the RCM group N baffled sump and track attack catch can system for years now and my pressures are fine when running on track
Old 11 August 2020, 06:19 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
How does that return to sump system work? Is it assisted somehow, or do you mean some sort of nipple+hose on the cam covers (or elsewhere) to passively return oil to the sump?
You need a catch can system that mounts to the chassis, inlet is from the cam covers and a return pipe feeds the sump via fittings added to the sump.

https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/s...%20catch&get=&

Old 11 August 2020, 08:03 PM
Nelzsti
Scooby Regular

Bought a 07 sump and a RCM baffle plate and an RCM pick up pipe. From what i can see this should keep me going for a bit, it was about £300 quid all in
Old 12 August 2020, 09:13 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 389 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
Hmm, my engine builder recommended a slightly overfilled twinscroll sump (which is the same as the ej25 sump, afaik), as it has better oil control than the single scroll 2001-2005 2.0 sump.

I didn't have any problems with oil pressure (from what I could tell from the gauges at least) at Brands with this method. I'm not massively fast, but I did a couple of sub 60 second laps, which isn't absolutely terrible.

If you're on road tyres, you most likely will be OK with a twin scroll sump IMO, unless you are very good at driving.
original Twinscroll cars from 03-05 use a slightly different design to the later 'shared' version............

IMO over-filling engines is a very bad idea...........

original single scroll sumps lend themselves to being modifed in the same way that Prodrive did for the early grpN cars
Old 12 August 2020, 04:34 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
original Twinscroll cars from 03-05 use a slightly different design to the later 'shared' version............

IMO over-filling engines is a very bad idea...........

original single scroll sumps lend themselves to being modifed in the same way that Prodrive did for the early grpN cars
Do you have any improvements to the twin-scroll sump/ej25 sump? Or is dry-sump the next step?
Old 13 August 2020, 08:24 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 389 Likes on 309 Posts

yes we do a 2003> Prodrive style grpN spec ali inserted sump set-up
The following users liked this post: