ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New age new STI suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2020, 02:51 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New age new STI suspension?

I’m assuming the bugeye and blobeye STI’s have the same springs and dampers but if they are different I’m looking for a bugeye set, is it possible to buy them brand new from anywhere? I can only find aftermarket ones for sale.

I don’t think I need them and the issue is something drive line related but it got me wondering, I may even buy a set to have as spares if they’re getting rare and hard to find.
Old 28 November 2020, 03:08 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

There's some on ebay, not sure why they wouldn't be the same. I know Saloon and Wagon models are different. 2pots is the man to ask.
Old 28 November 2020, 03:34 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 448 Likes on 372 Posts

Dealers should have them. Let me know if you need contact details
Old 28 November 2020, 07:51 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Dealers should have them. Let me know if you need contact details
As in, I can drive to a UK Subaru dealer and order a set? Blimey!!! Can I get other STI bits from them too?
Old 28 November 2020, 08:43 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim_
As in, I can drive to a UK Subaru dealer and order a set? Blimey!!! Can I get other STI bits from them too?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic mate. I wasn't trying to be funny

I was speaking to the guy at Subaru who has gotten parts for me before. I was telling him how I recommend his place (its his Dad's dealership) to people and how he is helpful in getting hold of parts where other places seem to fob you off. While we were chatting I was saying is it still possible to get bits and he said he ordered parts for a very old car think it was a leggacy and he hasn't come across a requested part he hasn't been able to get hold of.

I had a roof flap from a classic but it needed a few bits. He was able to order the whole roof flap and certain items from a spec c that would work with the classic roof flap instead of ordering a new roof flap. UK items are easier to get due to the part numbers and system used. With JDM parts its a bit more complicated because its located on a different system. When I was ordering my bits he was telling me about a customer who needed a V1 STI intercooler, they were able to get hold of it but it did take a few weeks due to it being manufactured and not in stock.

More and more people are keeping their cars stock so if no where else sells them the dealers might be an option.
Old 28 November 2020, 09:04 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

You could do this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUI...sAAOSwqnFeuq4l

Bugeye sti inverted struts:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-Front...EAAOSwS4ddNP1w
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-KAYAB...UAAOSw64xcWBy~
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-Shock...QAAOSwuwVfVkrD
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-Rear-...AAAOSwiq9bYHd1

Last edited by 2pot; 28 November 2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 28 November 2020, 09:41 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

KYB, or kayaba as they were known, are the brand fitted at the factory. They do a few versions, Excel G and Ultra SR.
I've had the Excel G's fitted on our wrx and they are pretty much a like for like replacement, although I believe they are a little firmer to account for any decrease in spring rate that the springs may have suffered over time.

As the STI has firmer suspension than a WRX I think the Ultra SR might be more suited to an STI.
Old 29 November 2020, 03:38 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Any main dealer should be able to get standard STi struts and springs.....just be prepared to dig deep as I suspect they'll cost a small fortune.
I now have an STi Hawk, but back in the day I had an STi Blob which I was lucky enough to still have some factory warranty on. My local dealer did the rear struts and springs under warranty...nice!

And also be aware that as far as I know, Subaru still use that rubbish grease on the rear struts even today, they still knock after a few years. It's worse in the colder months as the grease hardens and causes a knock you can hear clearly. Harmless but so annoying....another well known Subaru issue that was never addressed. There is a grease nipple mod out there, but who wants the hassle of that?

About 3 years ago, I paid about £700 for two rear struts fitted (springs were fine and didn't need replacing) and one is knocking already.... I'm never doing genuine Subaru rears again, so expensive, and ultimately...(still) crap.

Old 29 November 2020, 06:00 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 246 Posts

Weighing up the cost , it’s sounding like coilover time , it will work out cheaper , improved handling and just set it to a soft setting so not too harsh , BC are good value for money plus a decent set up
Old 29 November 2020, 09:34 AM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

I was speaking to the guy at Subaru who has gotten parts for me before. I was telling him how I recommend his place (its his Dad's dealership) to people and how he is helpful in getting hold of parts where other places seem to fob you off. While we were chatting I was saying is it still possible to get bits and he said he ordered parts for a very old car think it was a leggacy and he hasn't come across a requested part he hasn't been able to get hold of.

I had a roof flap from a classic but it needed a few bits. He was able to order the whole roof flap and certain items from a spec c that would work with the classic roof flap instead of ordering a new roof flap. UK items are easier to get due to the part numbers and system used. With JDM parts its a bit more complicated because its located on a different system. When I was ordering my bits he was telling me about a customer who needed a V1 STI intercooler, they were able to get hold of it but it did take a few weeks due to it being manufactured and not in stock.

More and more people are keeping their cars stock so if no where else sells them the dealers might be an option.
Not being sarcastic, I just thought they wouldn’t sell them any more so quite surprised at that. Thanks for the info that’s great.
Old 29 November 2020, 09:36 AM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Any main dealer should be able to get standard STi struts and springs.....just be prepared to dig deep as I suspect they'll cost a small fortune.
I now have an STi Hawk, but back in the day I had an STi Blob which I was lucky enough to still have some factory warranty on. My local dealer did the rear struts and springs under warranty...nice!

And also be aware that as far as I know, Subaru still use that rubbish grease on the rear struts even today, they still knock after a few years. It's worse in the colder months as the grease hardens and causes a knock you can hear clearly. Harmless but so annoying....another well known Subaru issue that was never addressed. There is a grease nipple mod out there, but who wants the hassle of that?

About 3 years ago, I paid about £700 for two rear struts fitted (springs were fine and didn't need replacing) and one is knocking already.... I'm never doing genuine Subaru rears again, so expensive, and ultimately...(still) crap.
I’m assuming you got those genuine replacements 3 years ago from the dealers?
Old 29 November 2020, 10:01 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D

For a bug sti, they're £250 a rear pair, in gold instead of black - KYB Ultra SR inverted (as linked above).
With inverted struts, it's their arc of travel, at the rear, that wears the bearing on one side. 1 x 20mm bearing at the top and 2x10mm lower down - could do with an additional 20mm bearing at the top and, as you say, alternative grease. Their bump stops aren't ideal either.
Blob/hawk sti inverted rears:
kyb 321004/321005
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-Rear-...0AAOSwNydbYGDd
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-Rear-...0AAOSwNydbYGDd

Last edited by 2pot; 29 November 2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 29 November 2020, 12:53 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
Weighing up the cost , it’s sounding like coilover time , it will work out cheaper , improved handling and just set it to a soft setting so not too harsh , BC are good value for money plus a decent set up
I've had BCs on a newage and STI suspension. I can understand why people keep to stock, they feel really good, comfort and performance. The BCs dialled in correctly will feel brilliant too and when it comes to cost can understand why people would leave the stock STI suspension. If I had to move from one to the other on the same car it would be a tough decision.

I run a classic with BCs, it came on the car when I bought it. I genuinely hated the suspension, it wasn't like it was on the newage at all. Had the lads in the car and they were like you need to change your suspension. Any way I decided I had to do something about it and started messing around with the set up. The difference was night and day, had the lads in the car again, and they thought I had changed the suspension, they were surprised it was just the setup up and not new suspension.

A lot of people complain about BCs but they are decent, I'd recommend them but say make sure you set them up properly. My settings or someone else's might not be right for you so adjust it until you're happy with it,

Originally Posted by Tim_
Not being sarcastic, I just thought they wouldn’t sell them any more so quite surprised at that. Thanks for the info that’s great.
If you need part numbers let us know or Don will have them.

Last edited by NOSSY_89; 29 November 2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 29 November 2020, 01:55 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 246 Posts

I agree with the adjustment set up , sometimes it’s just a case of trying different settings even one or two clicks , and you will find how you want it set up , the bc i have , ride much better than standard sti suspension , slightly lower , cornering is much improved but at the same time not a harsh ride , and no rear clunking 👍
Old 30 November 2020, 04:31 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

I've had BCs on a newage and STI suspension. I can understand why people keep to stock, they feel really good, comfort and performance. The BCs dialled in correctly will feel brilliant too and when it comes to cost can understand why people would leave the stock STI suspension. If I had to move from one to the other on the same car it would be a tough decision.

I run a classic with BCs, it came on the car when I bought it. I genuinely hated the suspension, it wasn't like it was on the newage at all. Had the lads in the car and they were like you need to change your suspension. Any way I decided I had to do something about it and started messing around with the set up. The difference was night and day, had the lads in the car again, and they thought I had changed the suspension, they were surprised it was just the setup up and not new suspension.

A lot of people complain about BCs but they are decent, I'd recommend them but say make sure you set them up properly. My settings or someone else's might not be right for you so adjust it until you're happy with it,

If you need part numbers let us know or Don will have them.
I definitely want to keep it standard where possible, however I’d even consider springs and dampers made to the same specification as the standard STI suspension if it came to it.

I’d be really interested in the part numbers of you wouldn’t mind? I’ll get a price on them and an idea of availability, it looks like I have a driveline issue but I’m not put off the idea of buying a set of suspension parts and storing them. The car looks to be on its original suspension at 20 years old and 65,000 miles so they not exactly the freshest.
Old 30 November 2020, 05:23 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

I think these are the part numbers depending on what you need but double check them

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...hock_absorber/
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...llustration_1/

I posted in your other thread but I'll put the details in here about the Subaru dealer I use

David Kelleher, his father owns the dealership. Its near Halesowen in the West Midlands.

01384 505336 (number on google)
01384 565600 (number on their email)

Drive In Subaru
Overend Road, Halesowen,
West Midlands, B63 2SA

driveinsubaru@gmail.com
Old 30 November 2020, 05:35 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much!
Old 30 November 2020, 05:37 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

It looks like Bug and Blob are different for non widetrack. If you give Dave your reg he will check to make sure you are ordering the right suspension for your car.
Old 30 November 2020, 07:08 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

How can that be right? Must of been some years ago as Denso don't make the V1 intercoolers anymore.

Old 30 November 2020, 07:19 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

So could i fit the springs too my non turbo Bugeye? Or would i need the struts aswell.

Old 01 December 2020, 10:43 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by jaygsi
So could i fit the springs too my non turbo Bugeye? Or would i need the struts aswell.
You'd need the struts - to control the stiffer springs.
Old 01 December 2020, 06:13 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

How can that be right? Must of been some years ago as Denso don't make the V1 intercoolers anymore.
It was about 3 years ago he told me and the legacy story was just the other week when I called him and spoke to him about some parts. He did say they had to be parts through Subaru so STI items and all standard fit parts I assume

My understanding at the time is they were remanufacturing the stuff if no longer on the shelf.

Looks like loads of people have been fobbed off by dealers. Can't find it on the system so its not available, not because they are looking on wrong system lol

When I needed parts for my roof flap he tried to find part numbers but it turns out you have to buy the "lid" to get the parts I needed so was about £320+Vat I think. But instead I used parts from a Spec C because they can be bought individually and work with the classic roof flap although slightly different. It was under £20 for what I bought to get it to work.

Prodrive and Cosworth stuff is a different thing and you have to go to those companies to see if they have stuff in stock.

Last edited by NOSSY_89; 01 December 2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01 December 2020, 08:48 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Sorry yes meant with shocks aswell?

Originally Posted by 2pot
You'd need the struts - to control the stiffer springs.
Old 03 December 2020, 10:18 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Sorry yes meant with shocks aswell?
You'd need the ulra sr inverted struts, as linked, to control the Prodrive bug springs.
Your current struts would be leave the Prodrive bug springs under-damped.
Old 06 December 2020, 10:18 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers 2pots

Originally Posted by 2pot
You'd need the ulra sr inverted struts, as linked, to control the Prodrive bug springs.
Your current struts would be leave the Prodrive bug springs under-damped.