Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Just joined the world of Subaru!

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2020, 09:00 PM
ChrisWRX2007
Scooby Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just joined the world of Subaru!

Hey everyone!

Subaru virgin here! Just brought my first one, an '07 WRX 2.5. Not even picked it up yet! (Tomorrow needs to hurry up!)

Honestly, have no clue about them at all, was actually looking for an EVO as I had one when I was younger but I saw this and just sort of loved it and it was a good price (I think!)

Any advice on owning and taking care of one is appreciated as it's been a decade or more since I have owned a decent car!

I will, undoubtedly, have many questions over the coming months!

Chris

The following users liked this post:
Old 30 November 2020, 09:27 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Welcome to the money pit club spends on modding never stop

hope you all the best with your purchase and future modding
Old 01 December 2020, 08:18 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome!

Nice car, if the engine's not been rebuilt start saving
Old 01 December 2020, 06:16 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 448 Likes on 372 Posts

Welcome, looks very clean. Whats the spec
Old 01 December 2020, 07:05 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts

Welcome.
Old 01 December 2020, 11:44 PM
ChrisWRX2007
Scooby Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers guys!

I was told it was standard but having had a look through the giant wedge of paperwork that came with it and chatting to the previous owner it has had a few bits done.
New downpipe, new backbox, K&N air filter and a ECU remap to take it to about 280bhp I have been told and, obviously, the CF Bonnet! Going to leave it like that for a while then see what might be a good next step if I feel so inclined.
The previous owner has had it from new, got it imported from Cyprus and it's only done just under 60k. Really clean all over, it's one of the things that drew me to it tbh, I normally get cars that have been through a tough life!

Actually picked it up today and been out driving and I am in love! Can't fault it, handles like a dream, all the power, all the time, bit of an upgrade from my old Focus!
The following 3 users liked this post by ChrisWRX2007:
Old 03 December 2020, 12:25 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome aboard mate, sounds like the car hasn't had too much done to it, which is a good thing. I have owned my 2006 WRX since new and spent quite a bit on a variety of things over the years, some things have not been worth the money, live and learn lol!
Main issues to look out for knocking suspension, the shocks don't last well and are a common fail point. Not a major issue though, factory spec KYB replacement shocks are reasonable to buy. Other suspension parts like bushes also get a tough time as the car is quite stiff, so wear and tear on those are common. Mine is on 96k now and is in need of a new gearbox so will be getting a new/used one in the next couple of weeks. Other than that and the replacement of shocks, it hasn't let me down, just the usual consumables and maintenance costs. Maintenance and consumables are not cheap and it will not pay to cut corners on it. Mine is regularly serviced with decent spec oil etc and it gets compliments from mechanics for being in such good shape. It's not been a fair weather car either, its lived in a garage but has been used in all conditions and is still in good shape. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if you look after it, it will do you proud! I love my car and cant see me parting with mine any time soon, hope you enjoy yours as much!
Old 03 December 2020, 01:19 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

What makes you think you need a new gearbox evil.soup?

Yes the 5 speed is weaker than the 6 speed, but it may not be the case the gearbox is shot unless you know for sure.
I had a loud grumbling noise coming from mine, you could feel it through the gear stick, at around 150,000mls.
Had the bearings replaced in the transfer case, problem solved.
Old 04 December 2020, 06:39 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
What makes you think you need a new gearbox evil.soup?

Yes the 5 speed is weaker than the 6 speed, but it may not be the case the gearbox is shot unless you know for sure.
I had a loud grumbling noise coming from mine, you could feel it through the gear stick, at around 150,000mls.
Had the bearings replaced in the transfer case, problem solved.
I had a loud sound like metal on metal come on quite quickly but its clearly related to 3rd gear. A couple of mechanics have listened and both have said it sounds like its lost teeth from 3rd so I have had a punt on a low mileage used box. Did look at getting a new one but they are not made any more.
I think once its out I will get it inspected, if the repair is reasonable, I may get it done just to have a back up box.
Old 04 December 2020, 07:07 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Noisy bearings sound like metal on metal, mine was not so bad in 1st and 2nd but the rest of the gears it was quite bad. If you only have it in the one gear only then it may well be the teeth as you say.
Old 05 December 2020, 07:40 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Noisy bearings sound like metal on metal, mine was not so bad in 1st and 2nd but the rest of the gears it was quite bad. If you only have it in the one gear only then it may well be the teeth as you say.
Yeah, its one of those situations where you can't be 100% sure and I have had to go with the mechanics opinion. I did look into the bearings as I know the roller bearing can fail, but this doesn't sound like bearing failure. You can hear the rumble in 1st and 2nd but 3rd is maybe 300% louder, then 4th and 5th are quieter again, so teeth sound more likely. If it were the bearings I would imagine it would get increasingly louder as you go through the gears and increase road speed as you described yours.
I'm quite surprised its gone to be honest as i have always treated it with mechanical sympathy and it wasn't under heavy load when it went. That being said, it only takes one duff gear change to create minor damage, once you have, then its time I guess.
Nothing cheap about owning one of these but it is a labour of love...
Old 05 December 2020, 10:36 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evil.soup
Yeah, its one of those situations where you can't be 100% sure and I have had to go with the mechanics opinion. I did look into the bearings as I know the roller bearing can fail, but this doesn't sound like bearing failure. You can hear the rumble in 1st and 2nd but 3rd is maybe 300% louder, then 4th and 5th are quieter again, so teeth sound more likely. If it were the bearings I would imagine it would get increasingly louder as you go through the gears and increase road speed as you described yours.
I'm quite surprised its gone to be honest as i have always treated it with mechanical sympathy and it wasn't under heavy load when it went. That being said, it only takes one duff gear change to create minor damage, once you have, then its time I guess.
Nothing cheap about owning one of these but it is a labour of love...
you would think the bearings would get noisier with increased speed, but opposite was the case. It was worse when crawling along in a 30 limit, so I would change down to increase revs and it wouldn't be as bad. I had gearbox oil change before bearings in transfer case were removed to see if it was any quieter, made no difference but didn't have any bits of metal in the old oil.
Old 05 December 2020, 10:52 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

you would think the bearings would get noisier with increased speed, but opposite was the case. It was worse when crawling along in a 30 limit, so I would change down to increase revs and it wouldn't be as bad. I had gearbox oil change before bearings in transfer case were removed to see if it was any quieter, made no difference but didn't have any bits of metal in the old oil.
Ah right, I think what we have established is that cars are a pain in the arsenal lol!!