ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

harvey uppipe

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2020, 12:26 PM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default harvey uppipe

hi, are these simply a venturi effect uppipe in that they reduce the ID of the pipe near the exit at turbo side to increase gas speed? or is there inserts in the pipe also to reduce scavenge or direct flow?

I understand they give great benefit and are 'trick' i am just trying to understand what is it that works so well?
The following users liked this post:
Old 03 December 2020, 04:27 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 396 Likes on 316 Posts

firstly there isn't just 'one pipe'...........multiple options twinned with a massive amount of time & effort put into development is the key.........
Old 03 December 2020, 04:44 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by stockcar
firstly there isn't just 'one pipe'...........multiple options twinned with a massive amount of time & effort put into development is the key.........
when i ordered mine there was only ever 1 choice & never got asked what turbo i had, so it's not like there is one for each turbo.

Was same one for my vf35 as it was for my Owen Developments tinkered SC42.

If there was a "big" one & "little" one even, i'd have expected to have been offered the choice.

That was AS-Performance

Old 03 December 2020, 05:16 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

that's not correct and not sure who or when you spoke to anyone...........and has never been the case, was it a 3bolt variant by any chance in which case we don't make anything to suit small VF's as sub 400'ish then std set-up works far better.........

there is obviously not a pipe for every single turbo on the market but there are distinct variations depending on use / power targets, etc.??
Old 03 December 2020, 05:26 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

that's not correct and not sure who or when you spoke to anyone...........and has never been the case, was it a 3bolt variant by any chance in which case we don't make anything to suit small VF's as sub 400'ish then std set-up works far better.........

there is obviously not a pipe for every single turbo on the market but there are distinct variations depending on use / power targets, etc.??
3 bolt & 2bolt

Even when they posted on facebook every one in the pic looked the same.

I asked the question when purchasing they says that was only difference.

So if sub 400 std is better

& my sc42 used the 3 bolt (only one available)

What power targets do you think they create a new pipe for ?

400,450,500+

Old 03 December 2020, 05:34 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

These all look the same to me and pretty much identical to my 3bolt one. Great bit of kit but struggled to see where the differences are ?
Old 03 December 2020, 05:40 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

I

Just looks like there is 2bolt & 3bolt types.

I was gona fit one for my fozzy sti as it was a good piece of kit but if no benefit below 400bhp as ur saying then i'm in 2 minds or are you saying that only for the 3 bolt style ?

Last edited by SmurfyBhoy; 03 December 2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03 December 2020, 06:03 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Always remember reading this post & wishing he had explained what the 6 different types were for.

Was it down to Engine size as he mentions that in alot of his posts.

These are all 2 bolt style remember so that is 6 different versions only for that syle perhaps there only ever was 1 style of 3 bolt ? Which would explain why i was never offered a choice ?

I do not want specs as they are obviously trade secrets but it would be great to know why he felt the need for 6 different styles as he was a clever guy & put alot of work into them.

Like go through them 1-6 and say what its best for if anyone is old enough to remember it would be fantastic.

Has me very curious now as it's the 2 bolt style i would be after for my Fozzy Sti now.
Old 04 December 2020, 08:04 AM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

I want a pic of the inside is there anything in tgere to aid flow. There is differing sizes at the turbo end reducing to suit turbo size and flow requirements. The header side I believe is all similar just 3 and 4 bolt versions. It's simply a variation of venturi effect pipes but is there more ie something inside. No speculation if you have one take a pic of the inside at entry and exit.

G
Old 04 December 2020, 09:03 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

I can GUARANTEE that you would be offered choices...........why not call and ask the horses mouth instead of posting "maybes" and "possibly" on the internet
then again when Aunty Betty on FB knows so much about the current world affairs its obvious that the "true facts" will be on here somewhere........

they make look similar in a picture but they are varied to suit power targets - if you actually want one then I would suggest contacting AS Performance themselves as they are the ONLY people that have the rights to use the Harvey Smith 'trick' name and manufacture them exactly as they were originally
Old 04 December 2020, 09:08 AM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

I can GUARANTEE that you would be offered choices...........why not call and ask the horses mouth instead of posting "maybes" and "possibly" on the internet
then again when Aunty Betty on FB knows so much about the current world affairs its obvious that the "true facts" will be on here somewhere........

they make look similar in a picture but they are varied to suit power targets - if you actually want one then I would suggest contacting AS Performance themselves as they are the ONLY people that have the rights to use the Harvey Smith 'trick' name and manufacture them exactly as they were originally
Alyn, I am running a set of RCM equal length headers on my car and I am looking to push around 400bhp on a billet VF48 on an EJ25, do you offer a Harvey pipe that would better suit that setup than the one that comes with the headers? Or is the one supplied good for the job?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Danjo; 04 December 2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04 December 2020, 09:13 AM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

unsure who this is at. i know there is choice, i have spoken to alyn, i want a pic of the inside and as i have mentioned its not regarding the pipe ID's or different venturi changes, i want to see if there is other things inside the pipe for the flow?
Old 04 December 2020, 09:17 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_MAXER
unsure who this is at. i know there is choice, i have spoken to alyn, i want a pic of the inside and as i have mentioned its not regarding the pipe ID's or different venturi changes, i want to see if there is other things inside the pipe for the flow?
Stockcar is Alyn.
Old 04 December 2020, 09:20 AM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

@stockcar can i see a pic of the inside please, is there a flange of some sort to aid flow at turbo side?
Old 04 December 2020, 09:24 AM
GT_MAXER
Scooby Regular

As this is Alyn, we have been in talks and i am buying stuff off you, to stick to the question at hand here instead of this thread growing argumentative legs by others- the question still remains and i understand as stated below they give great benefit but -
hi, are these simply a venturi effect uppipe in that they reduce the ID of the pipe near the exit at turbo side to increase gas speed? or is there inserts in the pipe also to reduce scavenge or direct flow?

I understand they give great benefit and are 'trick' i am just trying to understand what is it that works so well?

i am not debating, i am asking for facts to aid my decision making.
Old 04 December 2020, 09:48 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately I don't think your going to get an answer due to it being TRICKS of the trade
Old 04 December 2020, 10:04 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...d-headers.html

they are designed to flow correctly and improve spool, there is NOTHING installed internally to hinder or offer any sort of placebo effect

as mentioned previously there is / has been a huge amount of testing and development to get to where the pipes are today
The following 2 users liked this post by stockcar:
Old 04 December 2020, 11:04 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Wow. Can't believe it was 2012 Harvey passed away. That's crazy. Such a nice guy and so much knowledge.
Old 04 December 2020, 11:29 AM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Probably why forums are dead! No one can discuss anything

Purchased mine through AS and I was asked engine and turbo spec.

If I'm honest I was a little disappointed as no difference was noticed when driving.

But I didn't know as others mentioned that it's an over 400bhp mod

I was replacing a cracked up pipe, so was happy to be putting a quality and very much time invested part onto the car

​​​​

Last edited by DDS789; 04 December 2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04 December 2020, 12:43 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

the 400bhp comment relates specifically to the 3bolt options NOT the more common 2bolt................

if you simply bolted the pipe in place then you may not get the full benefit as mapping adjustments would be more beneficial and maximise the change
Old 04 December 2020, 01:08 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

the 400bhp comment relates specifically to the 3bolt options NOT the more common 2bolt................

if you simply bolted the pipe in place then you may not get the full benefit as mapping adjustments would be more beneficial and maximise the change

I did have it checked over by my mapper and no changes were needed.

But then again I am on a syvecs that needs a few extra sensors to really push my set up, so it's more than likely that the map it's running is a little tame lower down in the revs, was done to protect the 5 speed supposedly, which could also be a load of rubbish I've been told by those that did the work back then

End of the day I wouldn't run another up pipe as I firmly believe the Harvey up pipe is the best of the best that's out there.
Old 04 December 2020, 02:33 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

So as Harvey stated there were 6 designs for the 2 bolt but never says what each was aimed at ?

https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...lt-uppipe.html

I dont think anybody would expect you to give out any specs of the pipe but at least tell us what those 6 are for or perhaps that information was only known to Harvey ?

I also says perhaps because i had only the 3 bolt style for my Gt-Spec headers that's maybe why i wasn't offered a choice & that i was happy with it.

Old 04 December 2020, 02:44 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GT_MAXER
I want a pic of the inside is there anything in tgere to aid flow. There is differing sizes at the turbo end reducing to suit turbo size and flow requirements. The header side I believe is all similar just 3 and 4 bolt versions. It's simply a variation of venturi effect pipes but is there more ie something inside. No speculation if you have one take a pic of the inside at entry and exit.

G
It's a simple slip jointed up-pipe but the magic went into getting the correct sizes. Nothing inside but you can see where the pipes join the different diameters.

I only had the 3 bolt style tho.

Be good to know what the 6 different 2 Bolt styles were for...
Old 04 December 2020, 04:45 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

the same people that designed & made the prototype pipes are all still involved and making the current production pipes, the only person sadly missing these days is Harvey.............

the fact you are on 3bolt GT2 Spec headers @SmurfyBhoy is the reason there isn't a specific VF35 pipe...........totally different conversation if you were on the std manifold 2bolt flange
Old 04 December 2020, 05:24 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

the same people that designed & made the prototype pipes are all still involved and making the current production pipes, the only person sadly missing these days is Harvey.............

the fact you are on 3bolt GT2 Spec headers @SmurfyBhoy is the reason there isn't a specific VF35 pipe...........totally different conversation if you were on the std manifold 2bolt flange
So can we have conversation about my stock header equipped Fozzy Sti ?

That is currently on stock turbo, stock headers is there any gain to be had from doing the crossover pipe between the two cast manifolds on each head ?

If it's all the same people then can you tell us what level each of the 6 original pipes were aimed at ? Was it power level based ? Engine size was mentioned alot too. Would i get a different one for my fozzy sti on stock turbo than i would the impreza sti turbo ? 2.5 & VF41 vs 2.0 & VF35

Is it like below 400bhp & over 400bhp for 3 diff engine sizes ? As that would be 6 ? I am just guessing as cant find any other info on the 6 OG pipes.

Harvey mentions there being 6 types of 2 bolt in a few different posts. Would be great to clear up what each was for.
Old 05 December 2020, 08:30 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

there were far more than 6x pipes initially and most likely nearer 50................

plenty of people would like to know all of the information and they can easily do the same as we did / have done and spend countless hours manufacturing, mapping, dyno'ing, then scrapping and starting again as it didn't do what we hoped, etc ............too many plagiarists out there to post anything meaningful on the internet I'm afraid

you really need to speak to ASP direct
Old 05 December 2020, 11:17 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

there were far more than 6x pipes initially and most likely nearer 50................

plenty of people would like to know all of the information and they can easily do the same as we did / have done and spend countless hours manufacturing, mapping, dyno'ing, then scrapping and starting again as it didn't do what we hoped, etc ............too many plagiarists out there to post anything meaningful on the internet I'm afraid

you really need to speak to ASP direct

Nobody is asking for anything that would allow them to copy it tho.....

All harvey ever posted was about his 6 no mention of the other 44.....so i am asking about the 6 original pipes in harveys post and what each was suited to ?

At end of the day its a tapered pipe & if the marketing effort is to make out it's magic instead of real useful information then you can keep it.

If it's the same people they will know about the original 6

Diameter in & diameter out is not what anybody is asking although with a bit of digging that could be found out too. Wouldnt be difficult for somebody to just order a few of the "supposedly" different sizes and copy from that.....

Harvey was always open about things on his posts & didn't make it out to be snake oil....always happy to help folk understand his product & the work he put into it.

To keep it simple. Give me 4 different 2 bolt styles ?

Nothing to do with the size & not asking for anything that could be used to remanufacture a pipe.

Simply give me 4 different setups that would have their own pipe made up....

Im only asking for 4 setups that would warrant an uppipe change.

If harvey made 6 OG pipes he put into production

Your saying there's more like 50

Then 4 can't be too difficult really and would make the whole buying of the up-pipe alot easier to understand, than simply saying "tell me your spec & i will send you a pipe that suits"....

If so confident in the product then why not have the info out there for folk to choose themselves instead of making it out to be some magical mystery that nobody should ever question.....

Exactly as says above. No wonder forums are dead
Old 05 December 2020, 11:24 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Ano

Another simple question with a simple answer that gets the same generic copy & paste reply

Old 05 December 2020, 12:18 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Did the inventor of the atomic bomb tell his enemies how to make it or did he let them work it out for themselves.
Old 05 December 2020, 12:26 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Did the inventor of the atomic bomb tell his enemies how to make it or did he let them work it out for themselves.
Did they sell the atomic bomb complete for under 200 quid delivered ?

Ridiculous statements like that only encourage such dross answers to legit questions.

Last edited by SmurfyBhoy; 05 December 2020 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: harvey uppipe