ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2002 Bugeye WRX reasonable price

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2020, 12:30 PM
TheGreatBatsby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Bugeye WRX reasonable price

Hi everyone, don't know why I didn't register years ago when I bought my car, but I've done it now.

Due to the (mis?)fortune of life, my 2002 Bugeye is no longer fit for purpose (i.e. it doesn't have ISOFIX and baby is due in March). The "For Sale" section looks like it's been dead for over a year, but I was hoping for a bit of general advice regarding pricing. I've tried searching on autotrader etc. but it's difficult finding a similar year/spec car for comparison.

I was thinking around £4,500 (FSH, 3 owners, 90k miles approx., no modifications etc.) but really don't know if I'm going over or under on price.

Apologies if I'm too vague or stingy with info, or if this is in the wrong place, or if there's a thread I've missed for this exact thing! Haven't sold a car in about 9 years and I'm not particularly happy about selling this! I would attach pictures, but it's getting valeted today.

Thanks!
Old 17 December 2020, 12:33 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 449 Likes on 373 Posts

Hi mate and welcome. Is the ISO fix the only reason you are getting rid.

Price seems good because they have gone up. It should sell quite quick at that price.
Old 17 December 2020, 12:42 PM
TheGreatBatsby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being sold pretty much because:
  1. lack of ISOfix
  2. it's cost a fair bit in repairs this year (bonnet respray and radiator replacement)
  3. it's expensive to run
  4. it's not a "practical family car"
As much as I can argue the toss on the last point, the first three are pretty much dealbreakers!

Ah, that's good, thanks mate!
Old 17 December 2020, 05:44 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my '03 wrx saloon with two kids. You can fit child car seats very securely with seatbelts. I found it quite practical. Drove it to south of France and Spain etc a couple of times. I didn't buy a second hand P1 at the time for less money as I thought the two doors might be impractical! That was my mistake.
Old 17 December 2020, 05:54 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatBatsby
Hi everyone, don't know why I didn't register years ago when I bought my car, but I've done it now.

Due to the (mis?)fortune of life, my 2002 Bugeye is no longer fit for purpose (i.e. it doesn't have ISOFIX and baby is due in March). The "For Sale" section looks like it's been dead for over a year, but I was hoping for a bit of general advice regarding pricing. I've tried searching on autotrader etc. but it's difficult finding a similar year/spec car for comparison.

I was thinking around £4,500 (FSH, 3 owners, 90k miles approx., no modifications etc.) but really don't know if I'm going over or under on price.

Apologies if I'm too vague or stingy with info, or if this is in the wrong place, or if there's a thread I've missed for this exact thing! Haven't sold a car in about 9 years and I'm not particularly happy about selling this! I would attach pictures, but it's getting valeted today.

Thanks!
If it is in good condition and completely standard that is what some people want. The mileage is low and standard car should start to appreciate in good condition. I would ask £4995 at least - more if condition good - and maybe be prepared to drop to £4,500. Have a good scour round autotrader at the standard ones as a few on there. I have just bought a heavily modified 400bhp '03 wrx wagon for £4k with 85,000 miles, but is a hard ride and wouldn't appeal to everyone. No back seats in it etc.
Old 17 December 2020, 07:58 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 449 Likes on 373 Posts

My mate had the ISO adapter thing and hated it. He preferred the seat belt option.
Old 17 December 2020, 09:09 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

My Imprezas have been great, practical family cars. Ok if it’s too dear to fuel but don’t forget the bigger picture! ie buy some soul destroying diesel for example and aside from the fact it’ll need all the usual modern diesel repairs it’ll also depreciate like a stone. People always forget this. Yes my imprezas aren’t that frugal but they’re worth more than they cost me to buy.

Mate of mine thinks I’m mad doing 25 to the gallon yet lost £13k on his last ‘cheap to run’ car in depreciation!
Old 17 December 2020, 10:02 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

All Newage models have ISO fix? I have a Bugeye and has ISO fix. Classic models never had them.

Originally Posted by mgcvk
I had my '03 wrx saloon with two kids. You can fit child car seats very securely with seatbelts. I found it quite practical. Drove it to south of France and Spain etc a couple of times. I didn't buy a second hand P1 at the time for less money as I thought the two doors might be impractical! That was my mistake.
Old 18 December 2020, 03:25 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
All Newage models have ISO fix? I have a Bugeye and has ISO fix. Classic models never had them.
I had an early bug estate that also didn't have isofix, which was an unwelcome surprise when I went to fit an isofix base
Old 18 December 2020, 08:04 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Really, that's odd. Never seen a newage model without them. There not easy to find. And I don't think there even marked in mine. You have to put your hand through the centre and feel around for the isofix mounting points.

Originally Posted by Henrik
I had an early bug estate that also didn't have isofix, which was an unwelcome surprise when I went to fit an isofix base
Old 18 December 2020, 03:46 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Really, that's odd. Never seen a newage model without them. There not easy to find. And I don't think there even marked in mine. You have to put your hand through the centre and feel around for the isofix mounting points.
Hmm, that's interesting - I might be talking rubbish in that case, and I just couldn't find them... My 2003 definitely had isofix labels on the rear seat, but not the actual guide holes.

Old 18 December 2020, 05:05 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

My 2002 Wagon has ISOFIX. It's not marked on the seats as you'd expect. Neither is it listed as compatible on child seat lists but the connectors are there. They are metal hooks about an inch square between the back of the bench and the bottom of the seat back.

Trade price is maybe £3k so £3.5k private if you want to sell it anytime soon.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 18 December 2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 20 December 2020, 12:05 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Price wise I would have said 4 to 5k sounds a bit strong to me, but if it is a mint and original car, if you have time to sit on it, then you could get in that ballpark. As said above, if you want to shift it in a reasonable time frame you could be looking more 3.5k.

On the family car front, I needed a family car and went and bought my Impreza 15 years ago and it still serves well as a proper family car. Driven across France many times with the family packed in it and loved every moment. Fuel wise though, its not very friendly I know.

Good luck with the sale mate!
Old 20 December 2020, 10:50 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by evil.soup
Price wise I would have said 4 to 5k sounds a bit strong to me, but if it is a mint and original car, if you have time to sit on it, then you could get in that ballpark. As said above, if you want to shift it in a reasonable time frame you could be looking more 3.5k.

On the family car front, I needed a family car and went and bought my Impreza 15 years ago and it still serves well as a proper family car. Driven across France many times with the family packed in it and loved every moment. Fuel wise though, its not very friendly I know.

Good luck with the sale mate!
One thing I’ve found over the last night on 20 years of imprezas is the ones with a decent remap are better on fuel when you want them to be more frugal. My STI is noticeably better than my WRX on the motorway and cruising, only real difference is the STI has been remapped (both 2.0L 5 speed’s)
The following users liked this post:
Old 21 December 2020, 10:28 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Because they run leaner and more efficiently to create more power with a remap. And as you have more power you don't need to rev so high or work the engine so hard in normal driving.
The following users liked this post:
Old 21 December 2020, 12:04 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I can push 30mpg on a run if driven sensibly, about the same as my Diesel Tucson daily, not very friendly on fuel either lol!
Old 22 December 2020, 10:49 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Swap the seats if iso is that much of an issue. Paid 2k for my bug wrx 3 years ago next month, slightly modified and only needed a bit of paint on the bonnet and an arch saving but it wasn't rotten. Use ours as a family car every day. Don't see any other car being as fun or saving you much money as all cars require some maintenance, proper maintenance and they will serve you just as well as any other car imo
Old 23 December 2020, 08:21 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRtm
Swap the seats if iso is that much of an issue. Paid 2k for my bug wrx 3 years ago next month, slightly modified and only needed a bit of paint on the bonnet and an arch saving but it wasn't rotten. Use ours as a family car every day. Don't see any other car being as fun or saving you much money as all cars require some maintenance, proper maintenance and they will serve you just as well as any other car imo
My kids are way past the age of car seats but I thought Iso fix points on a car are mounting points on the chassis, not the rear seat, so regardless of changing the seat base (mine 52 plate blob has isofix labels on seats) will make no difference if the locating tabs are there or not.

Echo your sentiment though, had our car for nigh on 13 years and pound for pound has probably been the best value for money as not a lot has ever gone wrong with it.
My sons Mini for example has probably cost me more in one year for repairs than the Subaru has in a decade.
Old 24 December 2020, 04:51 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I did my fuel pump sock the other day (tiny *** aftermarket one back to oem which was 3 times the size) and the bottom ones are held on by 4 bolts each side and part of the rear seat support bar that you remove when getting to said fuel pump without having to crawl into the boot. Top ones are part of the rear deck (if that's what it's called) so it's not actually the seats that need replacing, it's the rear deck and 2 seat support bars
Old 26 December 2020, 05:30 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Oh no have to guide holes. Pain to locate sometimes.

Originally Posted by Henrik
Hmm, that's interesting - I might be talking rubbish in that case, and I just couldn't find them... My 2003 definitely had isofix labels on the rear seat, but not the actual guide holes.