Newage sti to gtr???

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2020, 03:05 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Newage sti to gtr???

Afternoon all
thought about recently getting rid of my 450 bhp blobeye widetrack and moving to a gtr has anyone else moved in this direction? Im worried il regret it as my blobeye is a immaculate and il never be able to replace it again.
Any advice or stories be great

thanks

Rob
Old 20 December 2020, 03:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

From what people have said to me when they have made the switch, the GTR is an absolute animal, but its a big car. Scoob is mroe fun ont eh back twistys and the running costs on the GTR are massive even compared to a scoob (gearbox oil changes every year and they are not cheap)
The following 2 users liked this post by Tidgy:
Old 20 December 2020, 06:34 PM
Nelzsti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Having had 2 stage 4 GTRs and 3 Scoobs, curranty a blob similar to yours ,hopefully i can give you some good advice.

Ok The almighty GTR. Firstly i never had a problem with mine both very reliable cars. servicing wasnt that bad £200-500 quid. OEM parts you can pick up cheap of the forums as people stick BBK on ect Just get one that been well cared for and you will be fine. I think they get expensive when you track them ect I found the build quality to be quite good , much better than my 2005 Blob anyway

Great fun when you first buy them very rapid with at stage 4 tune. Not much fun driving at legal speeds which becomes a bit frustrating on normal roads. They feel big and a bit disconnected. The only real fun i could extract from mine was to nail it from the lights, but doing 110 in a 40 is just daft. I come to the conclusion there are much more fun cars to own with half the power. I would say the GTR makes a good daily driver being an auto if thats your thing/

Your Blob will feel Raw, light and nimble and connected compared to a GTR and with 450ps pretty much (FEEL) as quick

Last edited by Nelzsti; 20 December 2020 at 06:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nelzsti:
Old 21 December 2020, 08:33 AM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

My opinion after driving a few extensively is that if you like to drive on twisty back roads and country lanes then the Subaru will make the most of it's capabilities, whereas if you are more of a mile muncher and typically drive on dual carriageways and motorways then the GTR is much more competent. The GTR gets a lot of attention which can be a good and bad thing in equal measures. I found you need to be driving at silly speeds to get the most out of a GTR, at lower speeds it feels a it of a big old bus, whereas an Impreza is much more agile and useable at lower speeds.
The following users liked this post:
Old 21 December 2020, 12:18 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 246 Posts

keep scooby for a daily drive , the gtr is your big boys toy , scooby is more practicable , gtr can be a £££ expense to run , if your mileage is low on the gtr it will hold its value better plus keep costs down , the better cars to get from memory is 2012 plus as launch issues solved plus a few other bits added on , a gtr in non launch mode is not miles away from a scooby in the 0 to 60 stakes , launching can be expensive on the gtr , i do like the gtr’s running costs put me off so if i did get one it would never be a daily drive , fuel use is quite high running costs and being worried about where i could park it safely , i went for aussie muscle cars in the end , cheap to run and a lot of fun , not as quick as a gtr but big big smiles driving them
Old 21 December 2020, 12:34 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

I have considered doing this too. I spoke with my mechanic as he sees loads of them (including one with 2000bhp!!). He actually gave me very similar advice to the above. For every day driving around town and spirited sunday mornings on the back roads, the scooby is very hard to beat! He also mentioned the excruciating costs of owning an R35, especially if you drive it hard. New disks and pads all round will leave you very little change from £2k once fitted! They are also very hungry for tires. He told me that most of his customers only own them for a year or so as the cost of running seems to out way the fun that can be had. On a track day I'm sure they are absolutely rapid though and if money is no issue then why not. Day to day, I'd stick with the fast scooby.
Old 22 December 2020, 06:36 PM
Nelzsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
I have considered doing this too. I spoke with my mechanic as he sees loads of them (including one with 2000bhp!!). He actually gave me very similar advice to the above. For every day driving around town and spirited sunday mornings on the back roads, the scooby is very hard to beat! He also mentioned the excruciating costs of owning an R35, especially if you drive it hard. New disks and pads all round will leave you very little change from £2k once fitted! They are also very hungry for tires. He told me that most of his customers only own them for a year or so as the cost of running seems to out way the fun that can be had. On a track day I'm sure they are absolutely rapid though and if money is no issue then why not. Day to day, I'd stick with the fast scooby.
I found it quite easy to pick up a full set of nearly new OEM discs for £400 , you can run these on a budget if you try hard enough. I certainly didnt move away from GTRs because of the running costs, then again i only do 2k yr . Like anything if your going to track them and do loads of miles the running costs will be higher. But if you want a toy go for it. By the way Nothing wrong with 09 car its probably had loads of upgrades in its life time.

If you fancy a GTR i would go for an early car 2009 with a stage 4 tune, wouldnt bother with a standard one or stage 1and 2. Get one with decent brakes and tyres thats been cherished and you will be fine. there a Bargain for 30k if thats your thing
Old 22 December 2020, 09:58 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Owning a GTR & not launching it is like having a mrs & not having sexy time with her.
Old 23 December 2020, 05:02 PM
Nelzsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Owning a GTR & not launching it is like having a mrs & not having sexy time with her.
Or marring a girl with huge knockers when your more of a leg man
The following users liked this post:
Old 25 December 2020, 04:02 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Both great cars. The GTR however is a serious power house. A larger vehicle. Both modifying and maintenance will require some serious investment.
Old 26 December 2020, 04:36 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

some great advice there!! what kind of power is a stage 4?
Old 26 December 2020, 04:42 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pjarvis6666
some great advice there!! what kind of power is a stage 4?
Stage 4 is around 650-680bhp. With an uprated intercooler possibly reach 700bhp.
Old 27 December 2020, 01:39 PM
Nelzsti
Scooby Regular

Stage 4 they cap the torque at about 620 ftb to protect the rods . I bought both mine standard and did the upgrade myself all with second hand parts. Injectors/Cold air intakes/decent exhuast/ and remap cost me £1800 all in , thats with AC speedtech fitting all the parts.