Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2021, 06:08 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Clutch smell?

Hi all,

Weird one again....2007 STi Hawk 93k miles
I had an ACT clutch fitted at approx 50k miles, it's not slipping and doesn't bite high, but does somehow feel a bit spongey when it bites (sometimes)

Fluid reservoir is full. Smooth pedal action, no creaks or squeaks etc.

However, when I've been stationary and pull away normally, often I can smell what I think is the clutch...but....it's not slipping, not that I know of or can tell anyway. In gear pulls there is no slipping either.

It's quite strong the smell, and I'm almost sure that's what it is...but it doesn't slip.

If I sniff at the bonnet scoop (yes, that does look insanely strange!) after a few minutes after switching the car off, I can smell something, but not perhaps the smell I get in the cab.

Is there a chance I'm smelling the CAT in my up or down pipe maybe? Does a bad CAT let off a funny smell if it's leaking slightly? The exhaust really ticks like mad as it's cooling down, but a bad CAT would throw up a code perhaps?

I know....I did say it was a weird one

Old 12 January 2021, 07:47 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts

I've read similar on another page and it turned out to be the cat.
Old 12 January 2021, 11:58 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

When was the fluid changed for the clutch side?
Its a 13 year old car so if it hasnt been replaced there is a fair to high chance the fluid is ready for a change.
Old 13 January 2021, 05:00 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I've read similar on another page and it turned out to be the cat.
Hi Robsy,

Any chance you could please paste in a link to that page? I've read some on here, but the search on here isn't the best...

Old 13 January 2021, 05:01 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
When was the fluid changed for the clutch side?
Its a 13 year old car so if it hasnt been replaced there is a fair to high chance the fluid is ready for a change.
Agreed yes, and I think it's original fluid....
Old 14 January 2021, 09:13 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

I could smell it again tonight, the car is really quite flat and awful to drive....feels down on power.
But the clutch is not slipping. Hope it's not my DCCD I can smell....
Old 15 January 2021, 12:48 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Why wouldnt it still smell?
You havent actually carried out any actions that would change the issue.

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2021, 03:50 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
I could smell it again tonight, the car is really quite flat and awful to drive....feels down on power.
But the clutch is not slipping. Hope it's not my DCCD I can smell....
A cat that is breaking down will cause it to feel down on power. My wife’s old mx5 done it shortly after we bought it, very rapidly started losing power and struggling to reach 60, replaced the cat and it was fine again. They do smell quite a bit when they are knackered, which you might be mistaking for the clutch (although they do smell different)
Old 15 January 2021, 08:17 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Len today, I need to check a few things....

I do have a sticky OSF caliper, I remember a few years ago how hard it was to push the pistons back, so will be jacking up a corner at a time to see how the wheels are free wheeling, plus keeping centre diff to manual open whilst driving and seeing if any change, I so don't want DCCD problems - Unlikely, but then again with my luck....

Early days, but could well be a sticking OSF caliper binding up that wheel and making the clutch work harder. This would make sense as when parking, I've just used the brakes and if the pads are slow to release in that caliper, that could be the issue.

Also, after a drive there is a smell (not clutch) radiating from the OSF wheel area....which made me wonder if it was the up or down pipe cats. The alloy hasn't been feeling hot, same as NS really....but there could well be a difference in disc temps for all I know. I don't have an infared temp tool sadly.

I totally didn't think of the caliper issue, but after speaking with Len, it could possibly be time to call Ian.

The rear calipers I think will be fine as they've always been easy to push back, the handbrake shoes though could perhaps now do with being adjusted....we'll see....

Generally, with the Subaru AWD system, I'm unsure of how much or little resistance to expect when spinning a wheel by hand....

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 15 January 2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 16 January 2021, 09:48 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

A sticking caliper can suddenly become a very stuck caliper, and even if they're just not working 100% it's better to just refurbish them or buy refurbished ones in exchange and swap them on as if they are left unattended it can just end up costing more and causing more hassle. Avoiding the cost of refurbing a caliper can quickly become the cost of a full fluid flush and a front pair of discs and pads because one side's got ruined.

If it's a car you care about and are keeping long-term I'd almost say it is worth refurbishing them anyway as a rebuild kit isn't expensive, and buying refurbished ones in exchange is often pretty good value for money as well.