ChipsAway

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2001, 10:08 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone used the Halfords version?

Someones scratched the rear bumper of my car and I am going to give them a call. Just wondered if Halfords or the mobile guys would be best?

Laurence
Old 24 May 2001, 10:34 PM
MrWood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've only used the Halfords alloy wheel repair kit, and that was great!!!
The new range of Halfords Smart repair products is very impressive, so for £25ish, it might be worth a try!
If it all goes pear shaped, then you can still resort to plan 'B' - Chips Away!
Old 24 May 2001, 10:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i've kerbed my wheels- is that what the halfords kit is for?

tiggs
Old 24 May 2001, 11:20 PM
MrWood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Oh Yeah!
I (My missus!) knackered three of my 17" Evo'R's... Was recommended this kit by a freind who works at halfords, so i gave it a go!
The kit contains a tube of superglue gel, superglue activator, some wet/dry paper, and four cans of alloy wheel paint.
Just rub down the damaged ares with the wet/dry, clean, then blob some superglue into the pitted areas to build it up. Spray on a bit of activator, and 1 minute later just rub down the superglue, to the same level as the wheel surface.
The idea of the kit is to use 1 can of paint per wheel, but the paint they supply is'nt all that good (unless you're a $h1t hot paint sprayer). I painted my wheels with the supplied cans, but they dried dull, so i went back to halfords and bought a can of clear laquer.
The results were very impressive, but if you've got gold wheels, or you want the ultimate shine, i would repair the damage yourself, and then get a paint sprayer to do what he does best, just to finish it off!
The repair bit is quite time consuming, but the more you do, the less your painter will have to do... Hence, a cheaper bill!