ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

S203 Vs WR1 Blobeye Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2021, 10:37 AM
Moonboi
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S203 Vs WR1 Blobeye Comparison

Looking at getting my first scooby. Fell in love with these things ever since I first played grand tourismo 3 as a 4 or 5 year old, I'm 23 now so I'm expecting insurance to be a nightmare but it is what it is, I want to get one of these cars and keep it for life so I'm keen to pickup the right one. Have been doing a bit of research and looks like the most notable special editions of the blob eye (my favourite body type) are the wr1 (500 built, for UK), the s203 (555 built, for Japan) and the Spec C type RA, reading through forums it seems the Spec C is more of an event and potentially too much of a handful to daily drive since it's very stiff and has no sound deadening so I'm leaning towards the STI special editions, namely the s203 and wr1.

I've seen some conflicting information about the s203 some claim it has 422 ft lb's of torque while others claim a more modest, and frankly more believable, 311 ft lb's.

Looks like either the wr1 or the s203 would be a dream car for me questions is really what's the extent of the differences between both vehicles?

I believe the wr1 sold for quite a bit more money out of the factory? But has 4hp less than the s203? And is rated to 310 ft lb's, a decrease of 1 to 122 depending who you ask.

What about suspension ect...?

Side note are there any other special blob eyes that I'm unaware of? Seems like the wr1 doesn't get talked about much and so far as I'm aware I couldn't find anyone else comparing the s203 with the wr1.

Thanks
Old 28 April 2021, 12:00 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

s203 all day long ,8k redline quick rack,if You will put mods on it than twice cheaper jdm
Old 28 April 2021, 12:09 PM
Moonboi
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
s203 all day long ,8k redline quick rack,if You will put mods on it than twice cheaper jdm

Ah didn't realise the S203 had a higher redline, that's interesting. Still though, higher red line and only 4hp more power? Still scratching my head over that one.

Any other noteworthy differences between the two cars?
Old 28 April 2021, 12:36 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 398 Likes on 317 Posts

S203 is one of STi Japan's line of very special factory cars whereas the WR1 has been breathed on by Prodrive for the UK market.........

in general terms the "S" cars are far more 'special' and hold their value better (and indeed are currently increasing) - the likes of https://www.type-ra.com/ will have full brochure details for the "S" cars
Old 28 April 2021, 12:48 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moonboi
Ah didn't realise the S203 had a higher redline, that's interesting. Still though, higher red line and only 4hp more power? Still scratching my head over that one.

Any other noteworthy differences between the two cars?
other engine heads,different gears ratio, twinscroll turbo setup, carbon seats,quick rack, defi style cluster,xenons or hid headlights- not sure here ,titanium muffler, rare alloys,but price is a killer these days, 4hp more only due to meet japanese regulations, You need remap for UK fuel anyway ,it will give around 360 than

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 28 April 2021 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 28 April 2021, 01:24 PM
Moonboi
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
other engine heads,different gears ratio, twinscroll turbo setup, carbon seats,quick rack, defi style cluster,xenons or hid headlights- not sure here ,titanium muffler, rare alloys,but price is a killer these days, 4hp more only due to meet japanese regulations, You need remap for UK fuel anyway ,it will give around 360 than

Epic, I'm definitely getting the s203 then! Thank you!
Old 28 April 2021, 01:33 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Don’t get too hung up on the peak power/torque figures. Both cars will be similar once mapped, the S203 perhaps a touch more thanks to the VF42 turbo versus the VF35 in the WR1.

What makes far more difference to the driving experience is the twin-scroll power delivery and sound of a JDM car, which is more linear and less laggy than the single-scroll UK turbo. Some people actually prefer the bigger shove in the back of a single-scroll and also the burble which you don’t get in a JDM car.

The S203 has the widetrack chassis versus the WR1 narrow track, although on the road the difference is negligible. The WR1 comes with Prodrive S03 springs and bump stops which are more compliant and better suited to UK roads than the standard STi kit, although it’s easy enough to retrofit Prodrive S05 or RB320 springs and bump stops.

Other main differences are lower 5th and 6th ratios and quicker rack in JDM cars, and the Recaros in the S204.

The other blob special edition of note is the MY04 V-Limited “Petter Solberg” edition commemorating Subaru’s success in the 2003 WRC. It’s basically a narrow track JDM STi with decals, roof vent from a Spec C, and pink STi suspension also fitted to the Spec C RA, S203 and S204.

Do make sure to get insurance quotes before you commit to buy...

Last edited by plenty; 28 April 2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 28 April 2021, 01:36 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

WR1 was the only non-widetrack Blobeye to be sold officially in the UK with DCCD-A.

S203 is effectively the refined verison of Spec C.
Old 28 April 2021, 02:17 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

forgot to add s203 has stonger hubs than wr1 -way better car overall
Old 28 April 2021, 02:31 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 762 Likes on 632 Posts

Direct from STI

https://www.sti.jp/completecar/herit.../impreza-s203/
Google translation
http://translate.google.com/translat...mpreza-s203%2F

Last edited by Don Clark; 28 April 2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 28 April 2021, 02:33 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't bother looking at the red S203 listed as a fresh import in Birmingham, it's a right mess despite having all the nice original bits like wheels, seats and exhaust. When it left Japan it must have bee fully stickered up like a rally car, they've all since been removed but despite a machine polish you can see where every single one was, also has a poorly re-sprayed roof, some funny adjustable electronic suspension, loads of other weird JDM electronic bits that I couldn't fathom out (wiring was a nightmare) and some rust issues, we didn't even bother starting it. Judging by the number of beatrush braces fitted all over the place it's probably seen some track time as well.
Also, those lovely carbon seats aren't designed for anyone that isn't built like a racing snake, my brother doesn't have an ounce of fat on him and he only just fitted in them and reckoned my 6'2", 16 stone frame wouldn't have been able to get into them without being very uncomfortable.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shane:
Old 28 April 2021, 02:55 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shane
Don't bother looking at the red S203 listed as a fresh import in Birmingham, it's a right mess despite having all the nice original bits like wheels, seats and exhaust. When it left Japan it must have bee fully stickered up like a rally car, they've all since been removed but despite a machine polish you can see where every single one was, also has a poorly re-sprayed roof, some funny adjustable electronic suspension, loads of other weird JDM electronic bits that I couldn't fathom out (wiring was a nightmare) and some rust issues, we didn't even bother starting it. Judging by the number of beatrush braces fitted all over the place it's probably seen some track time as well.
Also, those lovely carbon seats aren't designed for anyone that isn't built like a racing snake, my brother doesn't have an ounce of fat on him and he only just fitted in them and reckoned my 6'2", 16 stone frame wouldn't have been able to get into them without being very uncomfortable.
buy oem s203 or with taste moded jdm widetrack ,simply

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 28 April 2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 28 April 2021, 04:16 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't really see the appeal of the WR1 over a UK widetrack or similar. It's just a load of bolt on parts that you could retrofit to any UK car? Unless you really like the colour I guess...
Old 30 April 2021, 08:01 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 01 May 2021, 09:52 AM
Matt Gooner Moulding
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

dont like the wr1 colour at all either! horrible colour. s203 all day long.
Old 02 May 2021, 09:13 PM
meth mouth
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Gooner Moulding
dont like the wr1 colour at all either! horrible colour. s203 all day long.
this even tho he's a gooner
Old 02 May 2021, 09:41 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I don't really see the appeal of the WR1 over a UK widetrack or similar. It's just a load of bolt on parts that you could retrofit to any UK car? Unless you really like the colour I guess...
You could say the same for the RB5. Personally I like the WR1, it's got the black interior, a non-WRC blue which stands out and had the DCCD. Not everyone wants the absolute ultimate in performance a-la S202/203 and wants something more rounded yet still more unique than a run of the mill car. Each to their own.

Typical forum statements of 'oh, it's a **** colour' etc. It's not, you just don't like it. Not the same thing at all.
Old 04 May 2021, 08:01 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Personally, I would be happy with either a WR1 or S203/S204. All great cars. The WR1 is not to everyone's taste but is still a rare car and I believe the only non-widetrack car to have DCCD except the spec c,

I looked at a few WR1's, a couple of S204's and an S203. In the end I decided to go for the Spec C Type RA instead as it's the best driving car of the lot (it's also the rarest). I'm sure some people may disagree with that statement though...
Old 04 May 2021, 09:06 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

JDM non-widetrack blobs have DCCD. The WR1 is the only UK-market non-widetrack blob to have it.
Old 04 May 2021, 09:19 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
JDM non-widetrack blobs have DCCD. The WR1 is the only UK-market non-widetrack blob to have it.
Thanks for the correction Plenty. I didn't realise that even the non-widetrack JDM's did.
Old 04 May 2021, 11:42 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ST-X
You could say the same for the RB5. Personally I like the WR1, it's got the black interior, a non-WRC blue which stands out and had the DCCD. Not everyone wants the absolute ultimate in performance a-la S202/203 and wants something more rounded yet still more unique than a run of the mill car. Each to their own.

Typical forum statements of 'oh, it's a **** colour' etc. It's not, you just don't like it. Not the same thing at all.
I don't think it's a **** colour, it's just that the colour seems the only reason to pay a premium for one.
Old 04 May 2021, 12:36 PM
Moonboi
Scooby Newbie

Does the S203 not have DCCD?
What about the MY04 V-Limited “Petter Solberg” edition?
Old 04 May 2021, 01:25 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moonboi
Does the S203 not have DCCD?
What about the MY04 V-Limited “Petter Solberg” edition?
S203 is widetrack so does.
I though the Solberg car was the same as the WR1 but for the EU market?? I could very well be mistaken there though...
Old 04 May 2021, 01:41 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Petter Solberg cars have DCCD.
Old 04 May 2021, 02:05 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Given that in this era of cars only the JDM DCCD cars came with a quick rack, does the WR1 also have one, or is it the stock 2.75 rack?
Old 04 May 2021, 06:06 PM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

WR1 people selling them for 20k plus now
Old 04 May 2021, 08:32 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
S203 is widetrack so does.
I though the Solberg car was the same as the WR1 but for the EU market?? I could very well be mistaken there though...
There were two Petter Solberg editions released in 2004: one for the UK and Europe based on the WR1, and another for the Japanese market based on the MY04 JDM STi. Both narrowtrack cars with DCCD.
Old 04 May 2021, 10:44 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by immotors
nope
it's a stock UK.narrow track with dccd box.
Unless you particularly like the colour I wouldn't bother.
jdm or spec c or s cars are miles better even uk widetrack is a far better car.
Ah, fair enough. I've no intention of buying one, I'm quite happy with what I've got (about to fit a quick rack to it), I was just curious as to whether the WR1 also came with it as a detuned JDM car, or if it was a tweaked UK car.

I don't get why there's so much hate for the WR1 yet there's so much reverence for the RB5; they're both basically the PPP'd version of the respective UK cars at the time. Sometimes it's not about pure driving or performance and more about having something a bit special to you as the owner. In the way I could go and buy a Spec C but it wouldn't be as special to me as my tweaked WRX is. Objectively the Spec C is the far better car, but the WRX is mine, and that is important. If someone's intro to Subarus was watching Petter clinch the title rather than Richard Burns or Colin McRae then I can totally see why the WR1 is the car you'd choose. It also came with the nicest newage Impreza wheels too...
Old 05 May 2021, 09:21 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ST-X
It also came with the nicest newage Impreza wheels too...
s203 wheels are nicer including a car
Old 05 May 2021, 09:39 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by immotors
you have a wrx...enough said
And you mean what by that?

Quick Reply: S203 Vs WR1 Blobeye Comparison