Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Questions about the SVA test on a JDM car.

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2021, 12:40 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Questions about the SVA test on a JDM car.

I've been looking for a JDM or UK hatchback in WR Blue for a while, ideally with a Varis bodykit and some level of tuning but ive not had much joy so far, i've got an importer searching for me.

Whilst doing my own searches i found a WRX Sti which has pretty much everything i want on it, the only problem is the car is modified including having a full Varis bodykit, non standard alloys, 8 pot calipers, after market exhaust and other aftermarket parts etc. From what i believe if the car is 10 years or older it doesn't need to have an SVA test, just an MOT and notify the DVLA.

With this car being around 2015 +, how strict is the SVA test, how do they view cars that are not OEM and modified, would they pass it or tell you it needs to have the OEM parts put back on the car, obviously you can't do that with a bodykit.

I'm just after some info from anyone in the know or from anyone that has brought in a similar JDM car and had it SVA tested.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 06 May 2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06 May 2021, 01:06 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

If it's younger than 10 years a SVA test will be required as you say and from what I know the car needs to be standard.
A friend bought a Forester STi back in 2009 (5 year old car at the time) which had an aftermarket steering wheel , suspension etc., they had to put back the standard parts for the SVA test; the test itself wasn't cheap (circa 1k from memory).

Last edited by fpan; 06 May 2021 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06 May 2021, 01:19 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by fpan
If it's younger than 10 years a SVA test will be required as you say and from what I know the car needs to be standard.
A friend bought a Forester STi back in 2009 (5 year old car at the time) which had an aftermarket steering wheel , suspension etc., they had to put back the standard parts for the SVA test; the test itself wasn't cheap (circa 1k from memory).
Thanks Fivos, that was my fear that everything would have to go back to OEM. The ironic thing is that the majority of JDM imports will be in far better condition than some of the mobile scrap yards that you see in UK roads.