Scooby Regular

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Not bad for the old scooby

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...et-161493.html
Old 19 May 2021, 02:30 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 449 Likes on 373 Posts

When you said old scooby there was me thinking classic. Now I feel old lol.

Such a shame we have idiots running Subaru UK.
The following 2 users liked this post by NOSSY_89:
Old 19 May 2021, 03:30 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Sorry Nossy, but you're right Subaru UK have completely lost the plot
The following users liked this post:
Old 19 May 2021, 03:47 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 762 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
When you said old scooby there was me thinking classic. Now I feel old lol.

Such a shame we have idiots running Subaru UK.
Originally Posted by Rusti
Sorry Nossy, but you're right Subaru UK have completely lost the plot

I always fail to understand comments like this.
Subaru UK, not being a manufacturer, only an importer of cars, can only supply what is available from the Japanese Factory that complies with UK/European legislation/emissions and at a price and quantity they can actually sell.
Why are they idiots and where have they lost the plot ??

The following 2 users liked this post by Don Clark:
Old 19 May 2021, 03:54 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Because there is clearly still a market and they could take steps to address the emissions as Honda did with the N/A K series engine but they are not willing.
Old 19 May 2021, 04:55 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusti
Because there is clearly still a market and they could take steps to address the emissions as Honda did with the N/A K series engine but they are not willing.
Good for Honda JAPAN although they do/did have a manufacturing site in the UK.
https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/corporate...r-swindon-site

Your laying the blame at the wrong door - what has Subaru UK got to do with "addressing the emissions problem" ??
Subaru JAPAN manufacture all the cars (apart from some North American models) and have said that they won't move away from the boxer engine configuration which is the basic crux of the problem.
https://itstillruns.com/subarus-manu...d-7164803.html

Last edited by Don Clark; 19 May 2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 19 May 2021, 05:02 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Let me explain my point of view

Marketing is basically 0. If they wanted to they could talk to Subaru Japan and change the specs for the market, look at the USA with the S209. Subaru, not just the impreza sell like hot cakes. I look at the cars out there vs the ones we get here and they really don't look the same.

If you can pass California regs then Europe shouldn't be much of a stretch. Isn't the FA engine better on emissions and thats a boxer engine.

Don I don't know your experience with subaru, you might have different insights then me . What I'm looking at is what other markets and industries have done. Think back to Windows xp days, they dominated the market for many years and because of the CEO at the time he thought we are so far ahead no need to innovate or do anything else. Look what happened, MacOS crept right up and then they had to scramble to get a new OS out. I've seen it in companies I have worked for no need to innovate or change because we are making money and directors are getting their bonuses.

The technology is out there they just don't want to make the changes to comply.
Old 19 May 2021, 05:03 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

I think they can do better. I don't know how but then I'm not being paid £ millions to run their company
Old 19 May 2021, 06:24 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

Someone has dropped the ball. Don't think there really is a Subaru uk anymore is there.
Old 19 May 2021, 06:39 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Who cares about the WRX STi? The Yaris GR is more Subaru than Subaru’s latest offerings.
Old 19 May 2021, 07:14 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Let me explain my point of view

Marketing is basically 0. If they wanted to they could talk to Subaru Japan and change the specs for the market, look at the USA with the S209. Subaru, not just the impreza sell like hot cakes. I look at the cars out there vs the ones we get here and they really don't look the same.

If you can pass California regs then Europe shouldn't be much of a stretch. Isn't the FA engine better on emissions and thats a boxer engine.

Don I don't know your experience with subaru, you might have different insights then me . What I'm looking at is what other markets and industries have done. Think back to Windows xp days, they dominated the market for many years and because of the CEO at the time he thought we are so far ahead no need to innovate or do anything else. Look what happened, MacOS crept right up and then they had to scramble to get a new OS out. I've seen it in companies I have worked for no need to innovate or change because we are making money and directors are getting their bonuses.

The technology is out there they just don't want to make the changes to comply.
I think they can do better. I don't know how but then I'm not being paid £ millions to run their company
But you are still blaming Subaru UK - they, Subaru UK (International Motors), only hold the franchise to import vehicles into this and a number of other countries.

What you are implying is that the UK market is big enough to influence Japan's marketing/manufacturing strategies, which it clearly isn't and probably never has been.

The last WRX and WRX STI is currently not in production anywhere.
Japan kept the EJ20/25 models going for as long as viable, with Australia supply running/run out (Euro 5) and the S209 was a special, very limited edition, end of line, "hand built by STI" model for the USA celebrating the not so long ago arrival of STI into the US.
and at a whopping US$ 63.995 ( about £50.000 at the time)
https://www.evo.co.uk/subaru/wrx-sti...cing-announced

The FA engine is also a boxer but over square and so far has not been developed/capable of producing the same power as the old now extinct EJ motors with reduced emissions suitable for Europe.
It is/was used in the last of the WRX models matched to a CVT box.
I look at the cars out there vs the ones we get here and they really don't look the same.
Because most of them are manufactured/put together in the US and the market for Subaru models is very, very significant.
UK cars were/are built/specced to a price that Subaru UK thought they could sell them for, and make a profit, and they seem to be doing that with the models they currently sell.
I seriously doubt Subaru UK's MD is being paid millions.
Old 19 May 2021, 11:24 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

You go drive your Yaris and I will stay with my Subaru.

Originally Posted by plenty
Who cares about the WRX STi? The Yaris GR is more Subaru than Subaru’s latest offerings.
Old 20 May 2021, 05:15 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
You go drive your Yaris and I will stay with my Subaru.
Prefer a classic Impreza over both actually, but if I were forced to replace it with a new car I’d take a 1,280 kgs Yaris over a 1,580 kgs WRX STi.

ETA: Only one of these cars has captured the imagination of hardcore driving enthusiasts and is re-defining its category by confidently pushing the boundaries of what people thought possible. That’s what Subaru used to do, once upon a time.

Last edited by plenty; 20 May 2021 at 05:45 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by plenty:
Old 20 May 2021, 07:19 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I understand what you're saying. But I still couldn't bring myself to own a Yaris over an Impreza.

Originally Posted by plenty
Prefer a classic Impreza over both actually, but if I were forced to replace it with a new car I’d take a 1,280 kgs Yaris over a 1,580 kgs WRX STi.

ETA: Only one of these cars has captured the imagination of hardcore driving enthusiasts and is re-defining its category by confidently pushing the boundaries of what people thought possible. That’s what Subaru used to do, once upon a time.
Old 22 May 2021, 04:02 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikedylan86
you **** cars dont you?
oh dear
Old 23 May 2021, 02:12 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 647 Likes on 473 Posts

Where IM lost the plot was how they treated warranty repairs, many from owners who had previously been loyal customers. I've been there, never again.