Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Millers CFS glows in the dark....

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2021, 08:14 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Millers CFS glows in the dark....

Hi all,

Just something to share...
I got off Amazon a coolant dye kit to help see any leaks I may have. Just a precaution really, it was £13 and made by RING. I added about half the bottle of dye into the header tank and went for a 20 minute mixed drive.

When I got home, the dye has got around the system as the overflow bottle now glows as though it's radioactive!
Pleased to say, I cannot see any glowing with the UV torch looking from above, the radiator / hoses, thermostat housing, heater matrix and under the inlet manifold etc. Will get underneath etc at the weekend or at work soon. Even the coolant hoses in and out of the turbo seemed fine.

However, I run Millers CFS 10w60 in my forged 2.5 STi. I looked down the oil filler neck and dipstick tube with the UV torch, and it glowed up like mad.
After initially pooing myself thinking that my engine oil was heavily contaminated with coolant, I checked a fresh 1 litre top up bottle of the same oil which has been nowhere near the dye....same thing.
I was more than happy to see that even fresh oil glowed fluorescent. I know it's a fully synthetic oil, but it must have something in it that seems to react to UV light, I wasn't expecting that.

Panic over, but man did I worry for a minute or so....biggest false alarm ever!